Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Extended Warranty

We are brand new to the Winnebago family. Take delivery of our Forza 36G in Dec. Any feedback on purchasing the extended warranty through the dealer?
HTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Usually more expensive through the dealer than going aftermarket, but you can "roll" it into the purchase agreement and finance the cost over the life of the contract which makes it even more expensive.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Assume you are getting a used coach. If it is new, a warranty comes with it.

We kept an annually renewable extended service plan from Good Sam on ours that we bought used for two years until I got a good baseline established for the maintenance of the coach. Dropped after that.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Dont do it! Extended warranties are just a waste of money! We had one with our 2015 Aspect and it didnt cover any of our many breakdowns this season! Put that money in a kitty for breakdowns it will save you alot of aggravation!
Btswrkn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

As mentioned, they are mostly a scam, covering nothing but the most basic of failures and only if you jump through numerous hoops. Yes, there will be a flurry of posters here soon who will say that their service contract covered their particular problem but most don't get good service or coverage.

Best to take the money you would have spent on that, and just put it in the bank. Every year add to it.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I normally don't suggest buying an extended service contract but, your coach has at least one Schwintek slide mechanism and they are probably the most tender aspect of your rig. It can get costly to repair again and again. I've spoken to many owners who have all had issues with them- alignment and balance are the main problems...always keep the engine running and have your rig leveled before deploying. Otherwise a greatcoach- I really like the Forza/Soliel. Try to learn as much as you can about it and you can save big bucks in the future.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2016 Solei 36G also. All the slides use a power gear unit. Power gear is now owned by Lippert which also makes the schwintek slide unit. But I believe they are different components than power gear.
Have had no problems with mine.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The visual difference between schwintec and power gear is to look at the horizontal slide bars attached to the sidewalls of the slideouts. Schwintek is a worm type pattern. Power gear is a straight cut pattern.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btswrkn6 View Post
Dont do it! Extended warranties are just a waste of money! We had one with our 2015 Aspect and it didnt cover any of our many breakdowns this season! Put that money in a kitty for breakdowns it will save you alot of aggravation!
X2

We bought one w/ our first RV. When we went to use it we found that the dealer had just kept the money and not bought our warranty. So we called our dealer to fine they were bankrupt.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Also never been a fan of extended warranties. To many loopholes. And payout percentages for claims is terrible by these companies. Most expensive things are covered 3-5 years by manufacturer.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Think of it as similar to H/O.....life or medical insurance. A gamble. Do you have the diesel engine ? Exclusionary contract from a reputable insurance is the best approach.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

My 1st warranty returned 4 times what I paid for it and I never had a claim denied. My current policy (bought thru Wholesale Warranty) hasn't been used yet. I bought them both for piece of mind.

Are you prepared to cover an engine or transmission replacement, 10,000 to 20,000 or more? How risk tolerant are you?

You must follow the rules exactly to receive coverage. One thing to remember, you must get approvals before the work is started. If you have the work done and then try to collect you will not get repaid.

Each owner needs to decide what is best for them. Blanket statements of what to do don't apply to everyone.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

DW is a fan of EWs. Me...not so much. That being said, we had them in our last two rigs. I suspect we broke even or spent a little more for the warranty than covered repairs would have cost. But...it was only 8 bucks a month more.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

I bought my GS Extended warranty when I purchased my 2014 RV and it has saved me a lot of money.
It was purchased through Camping World and whenever I need a repair it only costs me $50 deductible.
One more point and that is that GS ESP covers the RV bumper to bumper other than items such as brake pads, tires and fluids.
I would strongly recommend an GSESP as a new fridge cooling unit is over $1000.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

There are way more loser than winners in the extended warranty business. If you have one of these warranties you had better hope so too. Otherwise next time you go to use it, the company will probably be bankrupt.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:21 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTRV View Post
We are brand new to the Winnebago family. Take delivery of our Forza 36G in Dec. Any feedback on purchasing the extended warranty through the dealer?
Congrats on your new Forza 36G! We have had our 36G for just over a season and love it.

We bought an extended warranty for our 2007 Sightseer and it more than paid for itself so we got one for our Forza and only time will tell if it will pay for itself.

There is a Facebook Page exclusively for Forza and Solei owners. I have found it very helpful as many of the issues you may experience tend to be common and you will find many suggestions and fixes there.

Here is the link should you be interested. https://www.facebook.com/groups/347877592058932/
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTRV View Post
Well to start out get an extended Warranty from some one this is a must !
But as in most things like this or any other insurance read the fine print.

1. will it cover the slides ?
2. Will it cover the AV systems
3. will it cover the AC and heat systems
4. infotainment system and GPS

you are going to have problems after the 1 year factory warranty expires
mine has more than payed for its self
Rick FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:38 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

How do you know anyone will have significant problems. You sound like more like a paid shill for the extended warranty business.
If as you imply most get back in paid benefits than they paid in, all these companies would be bankrupt.

Tags
extended warranty