Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2006, 05:53 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Had a BAD leak over driver's eyebrow window; confirmed badly deriorated seal along roof line, 4-5 ft long, above driver's door.

Cleaned area w/mineral sprits then applied Eternabond (2" wide) on both sides of roof. Awaiting ops chk from rain (maybe tomorrow).

On the first side, I used black tape to hold the Eternabond tape run in place, prior to removal of backing strip. I do not recommend black tape, since it caused black stains on roof. Maybe use that blue painters tape instead. (Maybe my black tape is El Cheapo brand).

On second side, did not use any holding tape; just unrolled the Eternabond as I went. I did not have a board & second ladder to arrange a scaffold system. Up & down the ladder MANY times. Be very CAREFUL!!

Had to use that Goo Gone citrus based remover to clean up stray sticky stuff. Anyway, it's done.

No fotos, since my roof is embarrasingly dirty.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Had a BAD leak over driver's eyebrow window; confirmed badly deriorated seal along roof line, 4-5 ft long, above driver's door.

Cleaned area w/mineral sprits then applied Eternabond (2" wide) on both sides of roof. Awaiting ops chk from rain (maybe tomorrow).

On the first side, I used black tape to hold the Eternabond tape run in place, prior to removal of backing strip. I do not recommend black tape, since it caused black stains on roof. Maybe use that blue painters tape instead. (Maybe my black tape is El Cheapo brand).

On second side, did not use any holding tape; just unrolled the Eternabond as I went. I did not have a board & second ladder to arrange a scaffold system. Up & down the ladder MANY times. Be very CAREFUL!!

Had to use that Goo Gone citrus based remover to clean up stray sticky stuff. Anyway, it's done.

No fotos, since my roof is embarrasingly dirty.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 10-25-2006, 06:46 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
confirmed badly deriorated seal along roof line, 4-5 ft long, above driver's door.

Thudman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm...what kind of seal are you talking about?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hi Thudman

That citrus based remover works well on the gray glue from the eternabond, I used it too. I found some stuff at "the dollar store" called LA Awsome that cost $1 that will keep the 2" white eternabond tape clean and white with no effort. Good Luck Jim Bob
Old 10-26-2006, 05:58 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hmmmm...what kind of seal are you talking about? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The caulk seal that runs the length of the roof, on each side, just above the rain gutter. Winnie says inspect the seal once/year (Min). I inspected mine every six mos, and the six mos was up when I found the deterioration.

The sealant keeps the fiberglass roof on, so it's wise to inspect it. And in my case, the separation (deterioration) caused a substantial leak.

Thudman

Old 10-26-2006, 10:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

does anyone have a picture of a full body paint with this eternabond on it...thanks
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Ops checked ok. Heavy rain today. Dry. Also, roof stayed on in hi winds.

Thudman

Old 10-27-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

The eternabond is a great product for sealing that fiberglass to gutter channel seal. I did our rig the the second year we owned it as a preventative measure.

Peter asks a good question though about what the folks with full body paint do. I know there is Black Eternabond although I havn't seen it on a rig yet.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:37 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Somewhere on the "net" I saw a website for a company that sells the aerosol cans of paint that will match your paint if you know the codes. I saved it, then had a "crash" and lost the website info.

It was expensive; about $25 a can, but would be worth it to paint over the eternabond. Unfortunately, my motorhome has four different colors up by the gutter, hence $100 but it could be used for other touchups too.

Does anybody recall the website info for the special order aerosol cans? I'm going to eternabond this spring and want to do the paint at the same time.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:07 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
confirmed badly deriorated seal along roof line, 4-5 ft long, above driver's door.

Thudman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm...what kind of seal are you talking about? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Becks:
I thought I answered in my post above. Do you still have a question about the caulk seal? It runs the length of the RV, along the roof line, just above the rain gutter. It keeps water from entering, as well as holding the fiberglass roof on. If still questions, pls PM me. [email protected]

Thudman

Old 11-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thudman, Thanks for the information on eternabond roof sealing. Did mine today and it turned out well.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:45 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Didn't someone post a link to a site that carried the Eternabond in 2" width. I seem to find only 4" wide.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:05 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Good place to buy eternabond is bestmaterials.com They are a great company with fast shiping. Got my info from others on this forum. Ordered 2 rools, did mine and could not be happier. Thanks again to all
Old 11-07-2006, 06:54 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

You can purchase it HERE
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:57 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I wish I had bought the 2" stuff. I bought two rolls of 4", then saw just how much was used to do the actual sealing. I then built a 4" jig on top of a wooden sawhorse and drew the roll under a cross piece while holding a sharp cutting blade at the mid point. Now I have two 2" rolls (plenty for both sides of my rig) and a 4" roll to be used elsewhere. Gotta keep it protected so the edges stay clean and not under any pressure to avoid pressing the adhesive out. I used a couple pieces to seal the corners of a trailer I had previously jacknifed into an old 4" bumper. Great stuff.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:00 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

I store my extra eternabond in the freezer. It stays in great shape there and no oozing.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:33 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

www.eternabond.com , on left under Products, go to Roof Repair Products tab ; a roll of white tape, 2" wide, 50 ft long is 48.65; S&H 11.75. You'll need 2 rolls. Mine arrived in 2 days.

Thudman