Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2007, 07:16 PM   #1

Hello;

I have a new-to-me Sightseer 34.5A with dual roof-mounted air conditioners and what I was told was dual heat pumps. There is both a front and rear thermostat.

I get a heat temperature of 98 degrees using the electric heat at the front roof vents. Turning on what I thought was the rear heat pump, I only get what feels like air conditioning out of the rear roof vents. (40 degrees on a cold day.)

The sales department tells me there are two heat pump units; the service department tells me that there is only one.

Can someone with a similar model tell me which is correct, and maybe explain how the heat pumps work?

Thank you...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:16 PM   #2

Hello;

I have a new-to-me Sightseer 34.5A with dual roof-mounted air conditioners and what I was told was dual heat pumps. There is both a front and rear thermostat.

I get a heat temperature of 98 degrees using the electric heat at the front roof vents. Turning on what I thought was the rear heat pump, I only get what feels like air conditioning out of the rear roof vents. (40 degrees on a cold day.)

The sales department tells me there are two heat pump units; the service department tells me that there is only one.

Can someone with a similar model tell me which is correct, and maybe explain how the heat pumps work?

Thank you...
Old 02-20-2007, 03:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Call Winnebago or go on-line and look at the specs for your model.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:48 AM   #4

Hello John;

Thanks for the reply. I do have the original brochure and Owner's Manual but the wording seems confusing to me. Even the wording on the thermostat makes it seems as if there are two heat pumps.

Hopefully anyone with a 33L, 334A or 35N and the optional heat pumps can give me a specific answer, since the sales and service departments aren't on the same page.

Here's the link for 2005 model information and it does say 'Air Conditioners w/Heat Pump (2)(Roof) but does that mean two a/c units with or without dual heat pumps?

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/previous-models/20...05-Sightseer-bro.pdf
Old 02-20-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

It is very difficult sometimes to pull hard facts from the marketing materials. Sometimes what is important is what is not said. Anyway, call Winnie - they will be more than glad to help you figure it out. Have your serial number and they can look up the details.

Forgot to welcome you to the forum, so

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:47 PM   #6

You do understand that a heat pump will only heat until outside air gets down to about 40 degrees F? And before someone starts hollering theirs will heat down to 35F, that is a general ballpark. Some will heat down to a lower temp and most others won't. We had a home unit that wouldn't heat if outside air was below 45F. Whether it's an RV or home style heat pump, they all work about the same. Basically the heat pump sucks heat from the exterior air and pumps it into your rv. Not enough heat outside and you get cold air. That is why many heat pumps have electric heat strips added to them (or in home use, a big furnace tacked on).

http://www.articledashboard.com/Arti...mps-Work/90152
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:35 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lorna:
You do understand that a heat pump will only heat until outside air gets down to about 40 degrees F? And before someone starts hollering theirs will heat down to 35F, that is a general ballpark. Some will heat down to a lower temp and most others won't. We had a home unit that wouldn't heat if outside air was below 45F. Whether it's an RV or home style heat pump, they all work about the same. Basically the heat pump sucks heat from the exterior air and pumps it into your rv. Not enough heat outside and you get cold air. That is why many heat pumps have electric heat strips added to them (or in home use, a big furnace tacked on). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is my first heat-pump RV so I am on a learning curve. The front unit works as you would expect the unit to operate; it's the back unit that isn't doing what's it's supposed to... that is, IF there is a heat-pump on the rear unit.

Kind of confusing when the sales and service department say opposite things...
Old 02-21-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34.5A:
Hello;

Thank you... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have a 2005 Winnebago Voyage 33V which is prbably pretty similiar and it has (2) AC/Heatpump combos. Our front stat has the following info on the face:
RV Comfort HP
Auto/On Cool-Off-GasHeat-Electric-Lo/High
Fan Mode) (Fan Speed)

The rear stat has the followinf info on the face:
Auto/On Cool-Off-Heat Lo/High
(Fan Speed) (Fan Speed)

As others might have stated, the outside temp usually has to be mid 30's or higher for the heatpump to work without assistance from the furnace. If in fact you do have (2) heat pumps and the rear one is blowing cold while the front is not, sounds to me like an exterior temp sensor in the rear unit might be faulty. You might contact the AC manufacturer at http://www.rvcomfort.com or Winnebago http://www.winnebagoind.com
Hope this helps........
Old 02-21-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2006 34-a, the heat pump is only in the main unit.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:26 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon p:
We have a 2006 34-a, the heat pump is only in the main unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guess I'm still confused based on the replies, so I contacted Winnebago. I got a call back today and was told that Customer Assistance was told by 'Engineering' that there are two heat pumps, one front and one rear, and that my local dealer should contact Winnebago for help in resolving this issue...
Old 02-22-2007, 07:39 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34.5A:
Hello;

Thank you... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have a 2005 Winnebago Voyage 33V which is prbably pretty similiar and it has (2) AC/Heatpump combos. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello JC2;

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to ask: when I use the electric heat in the front unit, the heat comes from the ceiling vents. Using the electric heat on the back unit, I get cold air from the ceiling vents. I contacted Winnebago regarding my question and have been told that there are in fact two heat pump units.

I called my local dealer, who told me this morning that the electric heat for the rear unit comes from the floor. He couldn't explain why I would be getting cold air from the ceiling vents; I told him it didn't make sense to turn on the heat and get 40 degree air from the ceiling vents.

On your two units in electric mode, does all the heat come from the ceiling vents?

Thank you-
Old 02-22-2007, 07:57 AM   #12

Hello Richard,
Find another place to have service done. The heat pumps are self contained units mounted on the roof. They operate the same way a regular house unit works, just smaller. When they are running in the heat mode, the heat will come out of the same vents that the cool air comes from. The floor ducts are coming from the propane furnace. There is something wrong with the rear unit. Either thermostat or a fulty roof unit.
A heat pump is actually a glorified refrigerator. It works on the same principle as a home fridge except that it works in both directions depending upon what it is being called upon to do. Heat or cool.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #13
JC2
Winnie-Wise

When we use our rear hp unit, the srongest air flow comes from the rear ceiling unit and gradually reduced in airflow as u walk towards the front. When we use the front hp, the airflow is strongest in the front and gets ower as u walk towards the rear. I still thank u might have faulty temp sensor in ur rear unit. Assuming all things are acceptable; outside temp generally 35+, inside stat setting within +-5 degrees of actual inside temp, etc, ur heat pump(s) should work. I went out today and individually tried ours by setting the temp reading on the stat to no more than 5 degrees above the actual inside tempsetting and they came on, brought the temp up, then shut off.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:23 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SacsTC:
Hello Richard,
Find another place to have service done. The heat pumps are self contained units mounted on the roof. They operate the same way a regular house unit works, just smaller. When they are running in the heat mode, the heat will come out of the same vents that the cool air comes from. The floor ducts are coming from the propane furnace. There is something wrong with the rear unit. Either thermostat or a fulty roof unit.
A heat pump is actually a glorified refrigerator. It works on the same principle as a home fridge except that it works in both directions depending upon what it is being called upon to do. Heat or cool. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the great reply; I wish I could pick a different dealer but the next closest Winnebago dealer is an hour and a half away.

I have an appoinment for March 05 for this and other items to be repaired... oh yeah... the main reason it's going back is to have some body work repair done. This same dealer smacked my MH during it's last visit there. No one said a word about it until they pulled the MH up for me to take home; luckily I saw the damage as soon as it was pulled up and they promised me that 'it would be perfect'. I'm not convinced and so far, the service has left a lot to be desired. This is my fourth RV from them so spending lots of money is no guarantee of good service...
Old 02-22-2007, 09:26 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC2:
When we use our rear hp unit, the srongest air flow comes from the rear ceiling unit and gradually reduced in airflow as u walk towards the front. When we use the front hp, the airflow is strongest in the front and gets ower as u walk towards the rear. I still thank u might have faulty temp sensor in ur rear unit. Assuming all things are acceptable; outside temp generally 35+, inside stat setting within +-5 degrees of actual inside temp, etc, ur heat pump(s) should work. I went out today and individually tried ours by setting the temp reading on the stat to no more than 5 degrees above the actual inside tempsetting and they came on, brought the temp up, then shut off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for checking out your MH for me; it seems consistent with mine, except that I'm not getting heat from the rear unit. Goes back to service in early March and I will post the outcome. Another poster said that his MH had only one heat-pump unit, so maybe his has some sort of problem too.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I am going out now to test mine, 5:20 pm.

will let you guy's know something in about an hour or so--it is 65 degrees in north Ga today.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Well, it's 80 degrees in the coach now, I guess I will have to wait untill later.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #18

Hello again,
I didn't realize you were going as far as La Mesa in Davis for service. It is only another 25 Miles to DeMartini in Sac. May want to try them unless this is a warranty situation.
2412 Princeton St
Sacramento, CA 95815
Phone 1-800-576-1922
(916) 561-6060
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:34 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Richard - make sure to check that the "PowerLine" energy management system isn't cutting out the power to "A/C Comp #2". If that yellow light is out then the EMS has switched off power to your rear compressor. I think the fan motor will still run but not the compress motor if you are hitting the 20/30 amp limit. Are you running on 30 or 20 amp connection, if so that could be your problem. To confirm you could run the generator and try both heat pumps.
Good luck!
Duner
Old 02-23-2007, 05:58 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Duner:
Richard - make sure to check that the "PowerLine" energy management system isn't cutting out the power to "A/C Comp #2". If that yellow light is out then the EMS has switched off power to your rear compressor. I think the fan motor will still run but not the compress motor if you are hitting the 20/30 amp limit. Are you running on 30 or 20 amp connection, if so that could be your problem. To confirm you could run the generator and try both heat pumps.
Good luck!
Duner </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the PowerLine is okay; I can run both a/c units no problem and no problems are displayed at the panel.

I've only tried the heat-pumps while using the generator, though 110v was used by the service department when they were checking things out.