Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2016, 05:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Driving on the Beach?

Over the years I have seen threads that talk about letting air out of your tires to run on the beach? How much air are we letting out of the tires to still have them not break down and still run on the beach?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:17 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Here's a link to a thread that doesn't answer your question however it speaks to some pitfalls in doing this that you might be interested in.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/driv...ch-184753.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yes I have read those kind of threads before. I understand all the rust issues. And like myself my rig will not last for ever, but while I am here I am going to enjoy it to the fullest. I don't have a "Trophy Rig" And I have been on the beach many times. I would like to know if anyone has really let air out of tires or is this "Arm Chair Logic"
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Not sure about airing down motorhome tires enough to make a difference. Off roading in Jeep used to air down to 5 - 10 psi, but that was with all terrain stiff sidewall Goodrich AT KO tires. Not sure MH tires would stand up to that much flex without rear duals rubbing each other or popping off rim.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Over the years I have seen threads that talk about letting air out of your tires to run on the beach? How much air are we letting out of the tires to still have them not break down and still run on the beach?
Wish I had the correct answer for you. This is a close as I've gotten.
JesseClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1451709155.369751.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	115474
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I thought about doing it the first time we drove on the beach, but decided against it. No regrets yet.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Got stuck on the beach last summer in my Jeep, there is no way I would attempt driving a MH on sand. It seems the tide always comes in when stuck on the beach, people love to watch and laugh at you when stuck as well, if that seems cool to you, then go for it.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

My concern would be the load pressure on the tires. Reducing the air could put a load stress on the tires and possibly damage them. Sand and asphalt will be the same load bearing of the weight.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

LOL!
We might be best to trade the camper for a houseboat!
Jesse
Old 01-01-2016, 11:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Airing tyres down doesn't do any harm PROVIDED speed is reduced proportionally as well
Dual tyres rubbing for short distances doesn't do any harm PROVIDED speed is reduced proportionally as well.
How far should you air them down so you can drive on sand using proper technique?
That's easy. You go as low as you have to so as not to get bogged. Simple isn't it.

A better idea would be to go down to Baja where many of the beaches are firm enough to take any weight vehicle without airing down. AND at this time of the year, the climate is kinder to you and your rig.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Tire Pressure on the sand

As low as 20 psi - Please post video on your blog!
Old 01-02-2016, 08:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Some don't need to lower the air pressure. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1451792087.027267.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	115561
Jesse
Old 01-02-2016, 08:44 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Where's Mel Gibson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
Some don't need to lower the air pressure. Attachment 115561
Jesse
Old 01-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I'm thinking I would be very careful with a MH on sand unless you have good towing coverage, regardless of tire pressure. On one of our trips back East I had read about the Padre Island National Seashore and how one could drive 90 or so miles across uninhabited sand. Boondocking at it's best, so we went to Corpus Christi and headed on down to Padre. It was pretty good at first, a short stretch of pavement, then a few miles of packed sand road, and then I started to see good sized holes with the "road" now going around where people had dug themselves out of the sand. Very shortly after that we reversed our direction least we be the next hole diggers. That was with a Dodge Cummins 4WD truck and a 11.5 Caribou camper, and rest assured 4WD was engaged. We did spend a night on the beach at Galveston with the same rig with no problems except the tide nearly reaching us, but personally, I would be leary of sand in a MH unless the thing looked like Jbmsr's photo. Even then I would be careful, but that's just me.

Best of luck if you try it.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Most sand buggys use screws to attach the tire to the rim. This prevents the bead from losing seal while the tires are lowered for best traction/flotation. IMO NOT a good idea for a MH.
I once watched a guy pull a MH off the beach just South of St. Augustine, FL. He was driving an old Army 6X6 with a winch on both ends. He charged the MH owner $300 to pull the MH to solid sand. Don't know if the MH ever made it to hard-top, I left after watching the show.

If you make the decision to drive on a beach, remember, wet sand is more solid than dry sand, which is where most get stuck. It's also where you get wet if the tide comes in while you are stuck.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

We have been taking our 2000 Winnebago Adventurer out on Sandy Neck Beach on Cape Cod for the last 2.5 years. When we bought the MH 3 years ago I put 6 new Hancook 225 75R tires on at $1850. Promised my wife we would try it out and see what happens but I didn't think the tires were going to last very long. Past Labor Day we were pulling in to a State Campground 5 miles from the beach when I had the Driver's side inside dual blow out at 5 mph. When the tire guy came out to replace it his first words were "Coming off the beach?". When he pulled it off I could scoop out 3 handfuls of chewed up inside tire sidewall.

We aired down from highway pressure to 18 - 25 psi and creep out onto the beach but it can be a mile or more to find a site. Many people with Class A's have complained about blowouts also. Quite a few of our friends live within 10 miles of the beach and only travel there and back in their MH's. We were fortunate that our tire blew out then and not 2 weeks later when we were going to Buffalo for a Patriots game.

My wife is not to happy that we will not be going out on the beach anymore but I can't justify $1800 every year for new tires. Class A's are just too heavy imho. Might try to find a 20 year old Class C to take out if we ever go back out on the sand.

We did get stuck a couple of times but always people ready to help you dig out or hook up a tow strap, but if you back up slowly you can usually get yourself out. Never needed anyone to hook me up but saw plenty of Jeeps stuck up to the frames.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1452018500641.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	115735  
Old 01-05-2016, 11:39 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Bad idea!! I know from 1st hand experience.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the report Joe.

I have always been of the opinion that tires are manufactured to carry a certain weight at a certain tire pressure and reducing the tire pressure to below what the manufacture's requirements are is going to be detrimental to the tire. If a MH/RV weighs 27,000 pounds, at 20 psi it is still 27,000 pounds and is overweight for the tire. JMHO

Thanks.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote