Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2006, 04:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The model 1201 Norcold on our 05 Vectra seems to have developed a drip. It's exiting below the coach forward of the fridge several feet, at the rate of about a half gallon a day (started late yesterday). The drip cup in the outside compartment appears fine, not overloaded, and the fridge has continued to keep good temp and make ice. Since I can't get myself far enough under the coach to see exactly where the leak is coming from I can't be absolutely sure, but the water is fresh and clear (not from a holding tank) and last night as we sat outside there was a brief discharge of a small amount of water through the outside fridge comparment, though I couldn't see from where when I got it open and it didn't last very long.

I've checked the other Norcold threads and don't see anyone else reporting this, so thought I'd see if anyone else has experienced it.

05 Vectra 40 AD
RanchoVectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The model 1201 Norcold on our 05 Vectra seems to have developed a drip. It's exiting below the coach forward of the fridge several feet, at the rate of about a half gallon a day (started late yesterday). The drip cup in the outside compartment appears fine, not overloaded, and the fridge has continued to keep good temp and make ice. Since I can't get myself far enough under the coach to see exactly where the leak is coming from I can't be absolutely sure, but the water is fresh and clear (not from a holding tank) and last night as we sat outside there was a brief discharge of a small amount of water through the outside fridge comparment, though I couldn't see from where when I got it open and it didn't last very long.

I've checked the other Norcold threads and don't see anyone else reporting this, so thought I'd see if anyone else has experienced it.

05 Vectra 40 AD
Old 08-26-2006, 05:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Perhaps there's a leak in the icemaker feed line, between the solenoid and the icemaker? That might leak only when the icemaker is filling.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Chris, unless the icemaker feed line runs behind the outside compartment, or under it, I don't think so, since the compartment itself is dry. I looked at the schematics and it doesn't appear there are any lines outside the compartment, but maybe I missed something.

05 Vectra 40 AD
Old 08-26-2006, 06:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I would expect the icemaker feed line to be a small diameter tubing that runs from the water filter under your sink, under the floor over to your right-hand slide and then presumably on top of your StorMore compartment an up the outside wall to the back of the fridge. You could try shutting off the icemaker supply line at the shutoff valve under the sink (or even just raise the bar on the icemaker to turn it off) and see if the leak stops.

Old 08-26-2006, 08:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I just had a problem with my ice maker. Water was leaking at a fitting. Over flowed into bottom of refrig, the drain hole to the drain hose was plugged. Caused leaking in storage comp.
David
Earhartphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Chris, thanks for the tip, I'll try that.

David, no water in any compartments, checked that, so perhaps it's the supply line as Chris suggested.

05 Vectra 40 AD
Old 08-26-2006, 05:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Phil - this is a long shot, but something to look at anyway. The drip tray that is outside and behind the fridge has a little hose in it that leads to the drip pan under the fins inside the fridge. There is a little plug thingy in the end of the hose that has a small orifice for the water to slowly escape from the large drip pan inside the fridge.

Ours got plugged up a few months ago and water overflowed from the large drip pan. I don't think this could account for that amount of water, but maybe something to check.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

You're right John, dfon't think this could be it - inside drip pan is dry, outside tray less than a quarter inch of water. Ice maker has been off for two days, but I couldn't find a shut-off valve for the ice cube water line that Chris suggested should be under the sink, so it's till slowly dripping.

I am going to move the coach today, and when I do will raise the front as far as I can and see if I can wiggle underneath to see where the leak might be.

Looks like you are on the road back, John, great country you are riding through in the Yukon. I used to travel up the Alcan all the time as I was responsible for businesses in Whitehorse, Beaver Creek, Dawson City, etc. Usually lots of game to see if you take time to look, including grizzly bears. Enjoy!

05 Vectra 40 AD
Old 08-27-2006, 11:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Hi Phil,

If you follow the water line out of the water filter under the sink you should find the point where it splits with a tee to go to the filtered water tap at the sink (probably the straight through line) and the icemaker. If you follow the icemaker line somewhere within a short distance from the tee you should find a small brass shutoff valve in the line--you may need to do this by feel because you may not be able to see it. It's important to know where this is for the purpose of winterization as well, so it would be good to find it.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Chris, I'll try that, although winterization isn't much of an issue in So. Cal.

Interestingly I did get under the coach and find where the water is coming from: just forward of the second cargo bay and inboard of it (street side) adjacent to the frame rail there is an 8 inch or so length of stiff tubing about a quarter inch of diameter. The open end is threaded, but it doesn't appear there was anything attached to it, and this is what's dripping. Can't see where it comes from, so the next step is to see if I can find it called out somewhere on the Winnebago or Freightliner drawings.

05 Vectra 40 AD
Old 08-28-2006, 05:28 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Phil,

If I don't miss my guess,couldn't that drip be coming from the overflow for your water tank?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

BINGO . . . That's exactly what I thought and where my water tank overflow tube is.
Steve St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I would expect the fresh water overflow to be a bit larger than 1/4" dia.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:56 AM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

Chris, on my '06 Vectra I was amazed at how much smaller the overflow was from when I had an '04 Journey....I respect your opinion but feel it's worth checking.

I remember when I used to overflow my Journey there was a ton of water and when I overflowed the Vectra I didn't get that,but it did come out more through the gravity fill...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Hey, guys, thanks, never thought of that. We are connected to the ranch's water supply, but I did fill the tank halfway a month or so ago when we went on a trip, and I haven't drained it. The SO has also been taking care of the coach while I am away working, and I haven't checked to see if the fill valve is in the correct position, so I suppose that could be it. Will check tonight when I get home.

05 Vectra 40 AD
Old 08-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

When in doubt, consult the manual..... it's pretty clear from the plumbing diagrams for my rig that it is indeed the fresh water overflow that is dripping (page 8, view J). Now the task is to determine why when I get home. Thanks everyone for the help, will post when I know.

05 Vectra 40 AD