Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2005, 12:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Has anyone found stronger brackets for the back of the drawer guides in the Winne's? I've had two of the OEM plastic brackets break and I'd like to replace them with something stronger.
Checked Lowe's and three hardware stores while on vacation and found nothing.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 12:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Has anyone found stronger brackets for the back of the drawer guides in the Winne's? I've had two of the OEM plastic brackets break and I'd like to replace them with something stronger.
Checked Lowe's and three hardware stores while on vacation and found nothing.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I replaced mine with a complete new drawer runner assembly and bracket from Home Depot. Never found a thing to fit the junk Winny uses. Mine was a 1999 and they are are not getting any smarter.

Ken
Old 10-22-2005, 01:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have an 04 and they changed the design to make them stronger. I bought 2 spares at the factory and never have had to use them. I think they do listen.
hogbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I fixed the ones in my 1999 Chieftain with a screw and nut. Take a look at Drawer Guide Fix Have had zero problems since.

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 04:24 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hogbreth:
We have an 04 and they changed the design to make them stronger. I bought 2 spares at the factory and never have had to use them. I think they do listen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must be lucky. Our 04 had several break. Another dealer where we bought our tow package said carry a lot of spares since they break easily. HR's are no better as they are identical.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I did the almost the same thing that Ron Ton did. No problems since. I used pop rivets instead of screws.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 06:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

And when the bottom breaks out, use some Gorilla Glue, but not too much because it expands and looks pretty ugly, but does the job on those flimsy drawers.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:23 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I had several break off, went to Home Depot and picked up a couple sets they are snug but fit very well. Now, I always keep spares for future breaks! The one's I replaced have worked very well for over 6 months now.
I think they are wround 2.50 or so Lowes also carries them.
From Palm Springs, Ca.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

If you every looked a higher end coaches, they are fitted with the metal ball bearing slides that allow the drawers to be fully extended. This is a great idea, that way you can get to items at the back of the drawer, that have been hidden or thought lost. Of course, you can add about $10 to each drawer by incorporating them, but it's well worth the extra. It also shows quality engineering by design. You might want to add drawer boxes with dove tail joints too. Now you've really got a quality drawer system.

Radarr
Old 10-23-2005, 10:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Dawg and Ron Ton:

Followed your suggestions...put a pop rivet in all of them....seems like it will hold well enough.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

We had problems with the holders breaking...called winnies customer service and the person we talked to sent us several pairs of the new type....I have had no problems with the ones we installed the new type on ..

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 01:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Radarr:
If you every looked a higher end coaches, they are fitted with the metal ball bearing slides that allow the drawers to be fully extended.

Our Adventurer has this type of drawer slides in the bedroom and bath areas installed from the factory. I don't know if they are going to this type all around on the new rigs and forgot to look when we were at GNR this year. My only regret is that they should be on the galley drawers that traditionally get more use as well.

I've got a bag full of the new brackets that WI sent me for our last coach as spares, but when they start breaking I may spring for replacing with the full metal slides instead.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:26 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

If your lucky enough to be at a WIT rally, and the WIT road techs are there, go to the parts trailer, and ask them for the new style draw slide end pieces. I got another 1/2 dozen last rally(there free).Used the last 1/2 dozen up. The ones Ive replaced have worked fine, and not had a problem with the new heavy duty ones. The only expensive draw slides are, the 2 that the pantry slides on. They are the ball bearing type,and have to replace them. The pantry lock didnt hold, and ended up with a floor full of can goods. The pantry came right out of the wall, on a turn.
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:34 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I had same issue with our Adventurer. All brackets broke and replaced with new plastic and they broke. Did the #6 flat head screw fix and took care of the problem. The metal hole is already drilled and just have to drill thru plastic bracket. It is easier to install screw than to replace with new brackets.

07 F350 Dually Ford Diesel
R Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:34 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We had the problem with our 99 Suncruiser. I placed metal L brackets under all of the back plastic drawer brackets and eliminated the problem. I even did it after they broke and it worked.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:08 AM   #17

Look at the drawer slides you have to find the manufacturer (should be stamped on the slide somewhere along with the series number) then look here and/or here to find the parts you need.

The plastic brackets (listed as Blum Mounting Sockets which we used with other makes of slides) can easily be replaced by either a wooden spacer block (when near a cabinet side) or a metal "L" bracket. I don't like the plastic brackets because they can break easily.

Woodworker's Hardware is another good source for cabinet "parts".

Get the free catalogs from these companies, lots of good "upgrade" stuff in them.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:55 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

THe slide problem has been corrected in the 2005 models. They all now have full extention metal slides. Took about 15 years to get the problem remedied.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:48 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
THe slide problem has been corrected in the 2005 models. They all now have full extention metal slides. Took about 15 years to get the problem remedied. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess my coach must have been in the transition period (mfd 01/05) as I have the metal full extension slides only in the bath and bedroom and the old "improved" design plastic supports in the galley.

It is a step in the right direction but as with so many things awfully late in the game.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:48 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

A typo. Make that the 2006 models.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote