Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

DP's foot well

Why do DP's always have the entry door in front of the passenger seat instead of midship? Because they can? Is it better? Just seems awkward to me.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
TW
Winnebago Camper

Question

Thinking the same. Never understood that design. Sales Rep. had no clue.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Good question but I'm guessing it's because they can and it frees up wall and floorspace which would otherwise be "wasted" on a mid ship entry.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have had both and I perfer the front entry. With the mid entry someone or something was always in the way. Also things got tracked in more with the mid entry. Only saving grace with the mid entry is it had a drivers side door.
And with the front entry door when i park i can see where the door is going to open to.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Funny, we just had this conversation. I guessed that the class A's that are based on a buss chassis had only one entry way designed into it that worked. In other words that is how is was made to be so it would be difficult or a waste of space to have it in another spot. With the slide out floor while driving it kind of makes sense I think.

The gassers have a problem placing the entry there due to the front engine, FrEDs to I imagine. They do have an emergency type exit door on the driver side though. Why do you suppose the diesels don't?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
I remember that when Winnebago brought out the Destination and the Itasca Latitude on the Workhorse UFO chassis, it was mid-entry and rear engine (gas or diesel).

I liked the mid-entry that we had with the Brave with the driver's door. I particularly liked the "computer" stand that was in the passenger side dashboard. I miss that on our Journey. A filler for the stairwell on the mid-entry would be nice. I know that you can make one yourself, but a "factory" supplied one would be a nice option.

With the driver's door, I didn't track dirt and oil onto the carpet at gas stations. However, it is more difficult to climb into it, and for some, it may not be very useful.

I guess that you take what you can get.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 04-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have a 2008 Destination (DP) with the mid-door entry. DW likes it better than the front entry. Me, I don't care, but she's happy.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My personal preference is the front entry, allows for better floorplan layouts and doesn''t restrict where or size of curbside slides as much. I can see pros and cons to both setups.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

We had a 1999 Winnie DP Adventurer with the mid-door and drivers door. I loved it for several reasons. First, it was so much easier to load and unload our stuff. You don't go all the way from front to back carring all your clothes. Second, when loading groceries, it is a piece of cake. Open the mid-door and your right there. Third, if your outside and have to go to the bathroom the same thing.....open the mid-door and your right there just in case your in a really, really big hurry if you know what I mean. The drivers door was wonderful especially when you are re-fueling at the diesel truck pumps. You don't track in all that oil from fueling.
We now have the front door on our Meridian and I like it very much but honestly, I prefer the mid-door just for what it is worth.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I have seen mid door on diesel's, Alpine comes to mind. Mid door is unusual though.
On another topic I think motorhomes should have small or short door in the bedroom for emergency exit instead of a window. I like the second bedroom door in trailers.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Newmar London Aire at one point offered a mid entry door. At that price, I guess you could have whatever you wanted .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote