Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dish or Directv

Looking for some opinions about getting a satellite for my MH. I have Directv for my primary residence. It seems that Dish might cater to RV users a bit more but it could just be better marketing. Not looking for an in-motion dish only expect to use it while parked. Thoughts and opinions. TIA!
skes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:05 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Dish... As soon as the DirecTV salespeople at Costco hear that we have a motorhome, they leave me alone. Apparently, DTV can't compete with Dish's HD programming in a mobile environment. Others here may differ.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I've talked with Direct reps once or twice including a guy at the AT&T store. The guy at the AT&T store was very honest and told me to stay away from Direct when he learned we have a MH.

We have a Winegard Travler and a Dish Hopper3 that allows us to record prime time shows etc. for later viewing. Dish is very easy to change zip code for locals when moving from place to place. Even though Dish says you can't put a Hopper3 in an RV, you can. It requires some rewiring and additional hardware that is cheap. You do have to remember to unplug the receiver while in transit to avoid possible damage to the hard drive. If you don't run or have an inverter used while driving or run the generator while in transit, then that is a moot point. Biggest plus is you can buy used or refurbished Hopper 3 receivers on eBay. If the prime time recording is not a necessity then used receivers are dirt cheap.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I would stay far away from DTV because their service is horrible. Absolutely horrible. ATT and DTV will be hitting rock bottom soon.

I was charged $2947.00 because they said I charged 60 pay for view in a single day. After many many calls explaining to many different people it got cleared up.

I had to call many many times to get my service cancelled.

ATT and DTV has the the absolute worst customer service on the planet, and for that alone, I will never be a customer of either. Even when I have a DTV Winegard Travel'r on top of my RV. It's a shame.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:44 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Dish has a nice feature... you can turn the service on and off without any fees, just remember to tell them that you own your devices. (if "rented" like most home systems they charge a dormant fee)

They do have issues with at least one local network, if I recall it was CBS, they have been fighting over rebroadcast fees so the result is no CBS.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Take your home receiver with you.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
another happy DISH user here. I've found their customer support to be nearly 100% excellent. not that I've had to call often...usually to change service location to get the locals... but now that I can do that on their app I haven't had to call at all. but every once in a while i encountered what was likely a new agent resulting in a longer than needed call.

we have a different setup than most posters on this and other threads. we have a winegard trav'ler roof mounted antenna feeding a ViP722k residential style receiver/DVR which feeds two tv sets. we're limited to watching two different programs, recording one and watching another or recording two while watching a different recording. works for us.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Not mobile, but we had Dish for many years ...even stayed for a couple after they lost HBO. (?!) Now on Direct with a shorter mandated menu but with HBO for about 40% of what my last bills with Direct were. Even tho' a little over 100 air miles from Wash, DC we have no cable.

If I was traveling, I would do what I need to do currently to see Amazon Prime, Netflicks, etc. I record movies, etc. at my office on a PC using a simple program called Audials. I carry USB sticks home full of interesting things to dilute the news.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Dish Network for 18 years. Always had an in-motion roof mounted system with HD. Direct cannot do that.
skitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I switched to Dish about a year ago on the basic idea of several features and now I really wonder why! You are correct to question what you really will get and it will depend on who you call on how honest the answers. Mine were meant to mislead me into thinking I would have far more than actually works for my situation.
One big point is the programming you can actually use when in the RV. IF you have super good wifi full time in the RV, things may work as described but I never find that where I go as there are limited places where wifi is really good and those are often overloaded by those streaming movies, etc. so the rest of the folks have a hard time even checking the internet. Your experience may vary as I tend to avoid the h9igh dollar in favor of a nice quiet spot under the trees!
Take ing all your programming with you to have just like home? Only if you buy additional hard drive. Use the voice activated remote? Only if you have full time internet. Customer service? I would change if I saw any practical option. My home TV has frequent rain fade and on the road, I plugged it together and they were downloading an update. I did not know this and interrupted the download as I was setting up the dish receiver. This left the system unable to reconnect and the Wally was called defective and it took some argument to get them to replace the almost new unit without charge!
On the plus side, I do like to call and get the local channels set for where I park but I find doing this also kills any recording at home on the local channels while I'm gone!
I think less TV time may be my best option!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We have had DirecTV for going on ten years, have traveled from the Rockies to the East Coast and from Canada to Florida and have never had an issue with it. We routinely use the in-motion dish while on the road. It works great. Back when we bought our current coach I asked DirecTV about installing a receiver in my coach (at that time a serviceperson was required to do the initial install) and they said "no, we will not put one in a motorhome". At the time we had two receivers in the house (one for the kids - who were now gone to college) so I simply moved it to the coach and it worked fine. In the interim, DirecTV even sent me an upgraded receiver! Maybe others have had different experiences but we have been very pleased with it.
bullrhider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Dish

We have used Dish for 10 years, with a Travlr roof mounted dish. It has worked great. We simply move our DVR from home to coach when we leave. If in a new location for a time, I just have Dish customer support change my service address to get my local stations. Many use Direct TV, but most complain about their ease of changing service locations.
Cal-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Dish has a pay as you go plan, Direct had monthly billing regardless if your using or not. Have dish for 2 yrs no problems.
Ted P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:16 PM   #14
Just Ama

I agree. We've been with DirecTV since they first came on the scene and we've had not problems with it at all. We have had it in all five of our RV's.
AzLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

We had satellite installed by an independent vendor. He sells both Dish and DTV and he steered us towards DTV over Dish. Have not been disappointed in the service.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:24 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

DirecTV User

I disconnect my DTV receiver from my home when I travel and use it in my MH. Have never had probs.
bunny2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:00 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Any recommendations on an installer for Dish in my Minnie Winnie 31D? I'll be covering most of the US within the next couple of years and am in no hurry to do this. Right now I'm getting cable in many of the Thousand Trails (Encore) parks that I stay in. When OTA works, happy with local channels. But I have to admit it is frustrating to have no TV in some locations. Like that I can turn Dish on and off as I only camp 4 months out of the year.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:29 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

If you have Directv in your home, you do not need another account to add it in your RV. All you need is the antenna and the box(es). I have had Directv or the prior named companies before in all 11 of my rvs. I no longer put the In Motion antenna as I got tired of the breaks in transmission every time I drove under something.
Sheilag1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:37 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I had a terrible experience with Dish. I would call them to shut off service when not in use...and they would always get it wrong. Finally cancelled them. I have Direct TV in my home. As others have done I just unplug the box and take it with me.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:34 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Have heard many ppl complain about Dish. I've had Directv since long before it became Direct back in the early 80s with a 6' dish taking up a large area of the back yard. Neighbors hated the look but I was legal since it was in the back yard. But since ATT came along a made the purchase, things have been a challenge. Would be happy to have an English as a first language person help me when I call in. Always a struggle to explain what I want
Sheilag1848 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish