Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

We were told by Direct that the data would be free between the home set and us while using their ap. Never found out for sure since their service was so bad. We switched back to Dish. Using Dishanywhere, we can now watch on our laptop (not available with Direct ap). If we use the available WIFI there are no data charges anyway. Or we can take the box and antenna - Direct never would comment on this idea.
n9wdq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Im not exactly sure what you are saying...My main acct is home based - an actual house. There is no special identification for any of my boxes on Directv. I leave some at home and I keep some in the RV. I have switched a few back and forth over the yrs due to malfunction of 1 either in home or coach and never had any problem. Directv does not know where my boxes are located nor do they care. I watch Directv on my TVs, our phones, our tablets, and computers. I watch on the road, in a site, at a rest area, almost anywhere. Have even sat outside at the seaside watching the cooking channel.
Sheilag1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

darn, I gotta wonder how many "boxes" (those things that receive and store programs) you have? Only takes one per household. And Direct or Dish know which is which via the card. I was never ever able to receive my recorded programs from my home box to my laptop and was told by Direct that was not an option. had many tech issues that Dish does not
n9wdq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Nova, We have a 2012 Tour also. So you take your Directv box and use it with the roof mounted system on the roof that the rv came with? I have been using Dish but would rather have my DIrectv with me.

Ray
Raylc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Wingard Traveler on roof, Dish with Hopper, and the 120 Channel package has been working for us for the last 8 years. We have been in every corner of the country, and most of the interior and get great reception. Although the satellite dish was cocked at a pretty strange angle in Northeastern Maine, and on the Florida Keys.

Yes, every now and then, they have a dispute with a local network channel, it gets resolved, and they are back on that area fairly quickly.

Easy to deal with their support most of the time. We are happy with DISH.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Want some entertaining reading? Google - ATT losing customers

For Example:

https://arstechnica.com/information-...all-continues/

Even their investors are suing them for shady practices.

It's funny ATT blames everything, but the root of their problems. CEO is so out of touch.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Well, unless you have an open face with multiple LNB's you will not get HD on DirectTV. There is no dome type antenna on the market that will get HD from DTV. Check out the Winegard site. It is one of the biggest reasons we have had DISH for many years. WIth all the new technology TV's capable of great quality pictures, why limit oneself to Standard Definnition TV programming.

Also be aware that depending on the type of receiver you have will determine the configuration of all the switch boxes that need to be installed. Example: if you have a Wally and switch to a Hopper 3, you have to change out some components belonging to the Traveler.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:24 AM   #28
Veteran RV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skes View Post
Looking for some opinions about getting a satellite for my MH. I have Directv for my primary residence. It seems that Dish might cater to RV users a bit more but it could just be better marketing. Not looking for an in-motion dish only expect to use it while parked. Thoughts and opinions. TIA!
I have the Winegard Traveler Automatic dish on the roof of my coach for DirecTV. I used to have DirecTV at my apartment and would just take my HD box from the bedroom to the coach. It worked out nicely. However, my new apartment doesn’t allow satellite dishes on the lanai, so I am now paying for cable at home and DirecTV in the coach.

Yes, DirecTV needs to work on the customer service for the RV community. A service package option to allow us to turn on and off the service when we need to would be nice. Since I also have ATT cell phones, I get HBO for free, a nice perk.

Would I still go with DirecTV if I could start all over again? Probably not today, as Dish is a little more accommodating to the RV customer. DirecTV needs to pay attention!
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:43 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Just to dove tail into the ATT issue...ever since Att purchased Directv, the contact with directv has been HORRID. The ppl are not trained or perhaps are just not qualified to hear English and resolve an issue. I was recently charged for a box they claimed was "not returned". I was abundantly clear when I called about the box, it was because we stitched rv's and I knew it would be 2 weeks or more before the rooftop antenna would be installed. I called to explain and complain that no one paid attention..just wanted to put it on vacation. So I received 1/2 credit. HUH. Ive been delaying the next call because I will probably speak with a person for another Universe who has no training nor understanding of the operation. They can only read from their script.
Sheilag1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #30
Winnebago Watcher

DISH

We have used Dish for the last 2 years and are very happy with it. You can turn the service on and off when you are not traveling which is a great feature. We own our dish and receiver... So no fees there. Costs approx $50 for basic and local channels. I would certainly recommend them.
mgdietzel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish