Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-19-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
gmc
Winnebago Camper

I just bought a great running 92 34' Adventurer with a Cummins diesel. After sitting in my yard for 48 hours, new batteries and all of the usual checking...it will not turn over a click.

Is there anything weird or unusual that is hard to find that someone else has experience with?

Also, any comments on recommended tires for this machine would be appreciated.

Thanks,
gmc
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
gmc
Winnebago Camper

I just bought a great running 92 34' Adventurer with a Cummins diesel. After sitting in my yard for 48 hours, new batteries and all of the usual checking...it will not turn over a click.

Is there anything weird or unusual that is hard to find that someone else has experience with?

Also, any comments on recommended tires for this machine would be appreciated.

Thanks,
gmc
Old 11-20-2006, 12:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

You may wish to begin aeries of checks starting at the battery and working toward the starter solenoid. Check to make sure you have power at the ignition switch, then the solenoid, etc. Process of elimination. It sounds to me like a bad solenoid, but you should be able to check this out with a volt meter and test light.

Do a search for "tire" and you should be able to find a concensus of opinion.

Good luck!
Mach428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:22 AM   #4
gmc
Winnebago Camper

There is power to the solenoid. How do I check the solenoid itself?
Old 11-20-2006, 02:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

You asy there's power to the soleniod, but it doesn't click? There should be power to the "start" side of the solenoid when the key is turned to start. Having power to the accessorie side is common, which is what powers the ignition circuit and other accessories. Is the solenoid seperate from the starter?

Check the "start" circuit of the solenoid by putting a test light the terminal marked "S" This terminal should be hot only when the key is turned to start. If the light is on when the key is turned ot start (then off when the key is released) chances are the solenoid (or starter) is bad. If you are sure you have starting current, you may wish to remove the unit and have it tested.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:54 AM   #6
gmc
Winnebago Camper

The "s" terminal is not hot when the switch is turned on. I can hear a click coming from the "panel" (board with a brain, relay and the cruise control mounted to it near the engine)when the key is turned but that is it.

Itried it last night in the dark with the headlights on and the lights do not dim or anything suggesting that there is not even an attempt to start at the solenoid/starter. I thought it was the neutral safety switch but I can not find it and no amount of playing with the linkage on the tranny or with the shifter gets anywhere.

I am nearly desperate so I am grateful for your thoughts.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Try turning the key to the run position and then manually jumping the solonioid posts momentarily to see if the starter engages...if the starter engages, then you know the solonoid is bad and replace it...hope this helps....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Ths "S" terminal on the solenoid should be hot when the key is turned to START. If this is not happening, then chances are the solenoid is NOT bad - rather something between the ignition switch (including the switch itself) and the solenoid, including he neutral safety switch.

Based upon your descriptions, I suspect the starter and solenoid are fine, but something is keeping the ignition voltage from reaching the S terminal of the solenid. Did the unit work properly before you installed new batteries? Perhaps you could have inadvertantly left off a cable on the batteries?
Old 11-20-2006, 03:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Good suggestion by RKL - just be careful since doing this will bypass any safety feature and the engine will crank.

You may wish to give Cummins a call. They've been very helpful to me and it's free.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

GMC:

Welcome to the IRV2 Winne Owners forum . You are already getting some great help here and I hope you get your coach starting issues resolved.

As to tires, I can highly recommend Goodyear G670's which are tires specifically made for motorhomes. Great ride and handling.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:48 AM   #11
gmc
Winnebago Camper

The rv ran fine until I got it home! I parked it and left some things on I am sure I should not have that I thought had simply drained the batteries. I went to start it Saturday morning and got nothing. That is when I started playing with the batteries. I have checked and rechecked the wires around the batteries and I can not find anything thta is not connected.

Do you know where the neutral safety switch is loacted and how to temporarily disable it to see if that is the problem?
Old 11-20-2006, 06:17 AM   #12
gmc
Winnebago Camper

Following up,

I spoke with Cummins and Freightliner (osh Kosh chassis) and they were both very helpful. Freightliner has emailed and is faxing some electrical diagrams and parts breakdowns.

He suspects the remote start relay.
Thanks again,
Greg
Old 11-21-2006, 05:15 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Sounds crazy but..... we try the really simple things first--- is the engine in neutral, or park??? Is the emergency brake engaged?? We have a Cat, and both of those things are necessary to start the engine.
Bob and Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote