Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Delivery

We recently put a deposit on a 2003 Winnebago journey at the time we were told that we would be able to pick it up 10 days later during that time the turbocharger was discovered to be bad and had to be changed well here it Is 10 days after delivery day and the coach is still in the garage and we still don't know when we will be able to take delivery. My question is has this happened to some of you? Should I go through with the purchase? I am leaning towards waiting while the wife is leaning toward looking for a different coach.

Thank you
Mouldingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I would walk away...Who found and how was it found out that the turbo was bad? I just had my turbo replaced on my F350 and I can tell you that you know when your turbo is not serviceable. I'm wondering if the seller tried to pull one over on you and stick you with a rig with a fried turbo....Given there are so many rigs out there....I would probably walk away....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the forum. It looks like you're not a priority to that dealer since they have your deposit. However if you liked the MH before , I suspect you'll like it better since they found and fixed these issues. Besides, can you get your deposit back? Good luck and hope you enjoy it and the forum.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for responding There is something else I probably should have mentioned, I drove it just 8 days prior to being told the turbo was bad it was fine at that time. I didn't notice any hesitation, the engine idle seemed fine. I have the same question as you Fred who found the problem I was told that the check engine light came on. it all seems a bit fishy to me. I would think that there would be some indication that the turbo was going bad but how would I know I've never driven a 2003 Winnebago. I will also say that my wife and I did like the interior and she has spent the last 20 days planning the decorations and has already reserved several CG for future trips.

Thank you
Old 08-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Without other information I can't say whether you should walk away or not. Some thoughts:

1. There should be a fair number of Journeys you can find depending on the model you are looking at.

2. Don't let emotions get in the way. You are the boots on the ground there and you have to follow your gut instinct. Think this out and DON'T let the sales person get into your head...think it out with the help of people you trust to be honest.

3. Maybe I missed something but at first it sounded like your wife was leaning towards finding a different coach and you want to wait but perhaps she is now getting antsy? Remember #2...both of you.

4. Get an independent inspection from an RV and diesel oriented mechanic. They should be able to sort through all the paperwork of the previous history (if these are not available...RUN) and figure out what the heck the deal was on the turbo. They will also be able to help you see what may be coming your way.

Stuff happens and maybe the turbo falls into that category but I'm really skeptical about such coincidences. That being said, this could still be your future RV, just do you best to see what you are dealing with.

GOOD LUCK!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Without knowing more about your situation, I'd think I was lucky that the turbo problem was discovered and being fixed before I took delivery of the motorhome, that's assuming that you don't have to pay for the turbo and labor.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Without knowing more about your situation, I'd think I was lucky that the turbo problem was discovered and being fixed before I took delivery of the motorhome, that's assuming that you don't have to pay for the turbo and labor.
all repairs were paid by the dealership so as it stands you are right it was a good thing. Tomorrow is the big day and I don't mind saying I'm on pins and needles after all this.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouldingmf View Post
all repairs were paid by the dealership so as it stands you are right it was a good thing. Tomorrow is the big day and i don't mind saying i'm on pins and needles after all this.
congrats!!! Pictures!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

MouldingMF,
As has been stated, you go with your gut. But, while there may be more Journeys out there, you and the senior commander (DW) have grown to a liking of this one and all it has to offer. The outside condition, the inside condition, layout, colors, component operation(s) and much, much more allow for your making the decision to walk or keep her, (the coach that is).

Yes, the turbo can be a bit expensive but, in the big picture, depending on just what you paid for the coach, it's probably on the small side and, you say the "dealer" is paying for the repair anyway? So, depending on the condition of the rest of the components on that engine and trans, you could be good to go and go on with your adjustments and camping plans. It would be nice if you could get a good diesel engine tech and have him check it out prior to your departure on your first outing.

I'm sure you'd like to have an "event-less" trip on your first time out. Obviously things can break and go wrong that you cannot predict but, that's going to happen to any of us anyway, not just you. So, if you've searched for a coach, been in and out of many and finally really like this one, then I'd most likely stay with it, again depending on the condition of the rest of the coach and the engine and trans.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Well the motorhome is at HQ now the delivery went really well, the PDI was thorough and all of my questions were answered, and I was well satisfied with the maintenance and the coach. I would like to thank everyone for your time and experience. It made today possible and travel plans are just flowing now
Old 08-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Personally, I would walk away from it. The turbo quitting could be a symptom of poor maintenance or an abused engine. This is the tip of the iceberg in my opinion.

Ken
Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new rig!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Congratulations

Congratulations on your purchase. We bought an '03 Journey two years ago and could not be happier...yeah, things broke, yeah the dealer blew smoke up my dress, but we have had two great years enjoying the coach and all the adventures it has brought and new friends we have met.
Marinelender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I feel the dealer discovered this doing prep for your delivery. I think if everything else looks good, water leaks, rust near windshield, underbody, maybe the only thing I would do is make it conditional to an engine oil analysis. If it comes back ok, you should be good to go. Maybe asking for a engine warranty?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I'm curious what engine is in your Journey. We have the Cat 330 and it doesn't have a turbo.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqguy View Post
We have the Cat 330 and it doesn't have a turbo.
I think you're wrong!
Our 2000 DSDP with CAT 3126 300 had a turbo.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldingmf View Post
Well the motorhome is at HQ now the delivery went really well, the PDI was thorough and all of my questions were answered, and I was well satisfied with the maintenance and the coach. I would like to thank everyone for your time and experience. It made today possible and travel plans are just flowing now
Congrats and enjoy your new RV!
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote