Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dehumidifiers in Minnie 2106DS??

Just looking for some opinions. We have a Micro Minnie 2106DS and a friend recommended that we get a small dehumidifier and run it for at least a couple of hours each day to keep the inside dry. I'd like to hear other opinions and perhaps suggestions of good makes and models to look at.
Cheers,
R
Ranald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Lots of small points to consider before deciding if one is needed. We have never found the need but different folks have different uses, so what prompts the idea? Do you have condensation that bothers?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

No, we have not had condensation in the Minnie, but we run 2 dehumidifiers all summer in the basement of our house in upstate NY, so are habituated to their use. It just seemed like it might be a good idea in the camper and I thought I should get some other opinions.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Not saying it was a bad idea, just that there are often suggestions made that really are not that important. And that is where I come down to not trying to fix things until I see something that says it needs fixed. The RV gets full of "maybe we need that" pretty quick, so I'm slower to add stuff than at home where I have a bunch more space.
The difference in basements and RV is going to be pretty big as we tend to have the RV open when we use it and it a much smaller space. During storage, if we are not in the RV, there is far less moisture created as we are not cooking breathing, etc. that puts all that moisture in the air.
I might not do anything until I saw condensation on windows, etc. as a first sign. Might be something that you folks do need, but just not one we have found.
Enjoy!
Old 08-12-2019, 04:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Good point Monrich, Thanks. I'll hold off on the Dehumidifier and just keep an eye on things until I see if there are any signs that I actually need one.Cheers,
Ranald
Old 08-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have an Aspect 30J that we keep under our shed with a dehumidifier running continuously. We live in the South. Our dehumidifier holds 30 pints and I have to empty it every other day... it's full. We discovered in our old fifth wheel that if we went in the rig at night with a flashlight, there was surface mildew on all the cabinets. After we cleaned it, we started using a dehumidifier and had no other problems. Our son has a 42' fifth wheel, newly purchased. I suggested he use one too. He did. 50 pint capacity and he's now emptying it daily since his rig much bigger than ours. I wouldn't do without one in our coach. Keeps everything fresh and dry. I also place Bounce dryer sheets inside. Just my two cents! Again, our coastal southern climate is very humid!
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #7
Vietnam Veteran 1967-1970

We use one in our Sightseer 33C. The air conditioners work much less and we too take out 1/2 gallon of water everyday depending where we are. Wisconsin, not so bad, down in FLORIDA, wow.....
Joshua 24:15
GBFANKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

It seems like we're often camped in conditions where the windows are closed and we're near lakes, misty forests, etc. There's nothing I like more than looking out the window of our dinette drinking my first cup of coffee in the morning...provided I can see out of the window.

We had such trouble with condensation on the windows of our 2250DS Minnie, that I went searching for a dehumidifier that would, 1) remove a lot of moisture quickly, 2) work well in cooler temps (60's), 3) not use a lot of power and, 4) not make a lot of noise. After two false starts, we found one we're really happy with:
Ivation 13 Pint Desiccant Dehumifier

I first tried the "granules in a bucket" type, and those may work alright for when the unit is going to be sealed up tight and unoccupied. Next, I tried a non-desicant unit that just wasn't efficient in cooler temps.

I've been very pleased with the performance of the one we got. It does use 400 watts on high power, though, so it isn't really practical for us to run it long enough to be worthwhile when we're using batteries only. But if I'm going to run the generator for an hour, I almost always run the dehumidifier at the same time. Unless we're on shore power, that isn't enough to keep the windows clear and dry, but it does make a significant and noticeable improvement.

YMMV

Jim
Old 08-18-2019, 06:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I use a small fan just to circulate air when our micro Minnie is parked on the pad at home. That fan travels with us as well just to move sir around when camping. Knock on wood, no problems with humidity etc in trailer.
copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
Just looking for some opinions. We have a Micro Minnie 2106DS and a friend recommended that we get a small dehumidifier and run it for at least a couple of hours each day to keep the inside dry. I'd like to hear other opinions and perhaps suggestions of good makes and models to look at.
Cheers,
R
As a full-timer, I strongly recommend a small dehumidifier. We have been using the Eva-Dry EDV1100 for a few years now. Before we bought this, we often had humidity buildup in the cupboards and closets in cool or winter weather. Not any longer.
Just a note of advise on this topic. Keeping the ceiling vent cracked a bit in the winter helps to control the humidity buildup in the RV and helps to prevent the vent circuit board from building up moisture. The dehumidifier is simply the final touch to keep humidity under control. We rarely shut it off. Only in hot dry weather do we forgo the use of it.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 08-18-2019, 07:15 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2108ds and when I am not using the trailer I usually have one or two DriRite containers in the trailer. That seems to keep things nice and dry. When I store the trailer over the winter I put a large bucket of DriRite in the bathroom, one in the kitchen sink and one in the storage area.
Bughawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:39 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

We lived for 20 year in Williamsburg VA. very humid there. We left our vent open and never had a problem. Never felt the need for dehumidifier though we did run one in the basement of the house.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:15 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Much of the difference in experience is due to where each is used but it also involved how we each live. When we travel, we normally have two things going. We are moving or we are jumping in and out. When we park it, we are either using heat or air or have the doors and windows open so that have any form of dehumidifier would be redundant if already doing heat or air or useless if we have all the doors and windows open!
Part of the difference will also be how we each do laundry and cooking, each of which put a lot of moisture in the air.
We don't like cold weather and we DO want fresh air so cooking, eating, and living outside is the norm for us.
Morning coffee? That's done outside while watching the sun come up, even if we have to wear a coat!
About the only way I see to figure what is needed is to try a few trips and see if changes are needed.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:31 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Not saying it was a bad idea, just that there are often suggestions made that really are not that important. And that is where I come down to not trying to fix things until I see something that says it needs fixed. The RV gets full of "maybe we need that" pretty quick, so I'm slower to add stuff than at home where I have a bunch more space.
The difference in basements and RV is going to be pretty big as we tend to have the RV open when we use it and it a much smaller space. During storage, if we are not in the RV, there is far less moisture created as we are not cooking breathing, etc. that puts all that moisture in the air.
I might not do anything until I saw condensation on windows, etc. as a first sign. Might be something that you folks do need, but just not one we have found.
Enjoy!
I think that in a enclosed space..the sound of the dehumidifier running, would drive someone nuts, pretty fast...just sayin'...
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:34 AM   #15
Vietnam Veteran 1967-1970

Dehumidifiers

I can suggest trying a dehumidifier for a few days. See "HOW MUCH " water is collected in those few days ?

I WONDER , If I don't use a dehumidifier, WHERE does all that water soak INTO ?? If it's IN THE RV ? I assume it's being distributed in any clothing, thin paneled walls, any carpet, food that is not sealed well And Finally, Like I said, " My Air conditioners work far less " !

Not All dehumidifiers are LOUD. Also when you are out for a few hours, run your loud dehumidifier then..

We also use a " humidistat " meter, keep our RV at 45-65 Humidity....
GBFANKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:25 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFANKEN View Post
I can suggest trying a dehumidifier for a few days. See "HOW MUCH " water is collected in those few days ?

I WONDER , If I don't use a dehumidifier, WHERE does all that water soak INTO ?? If it's IN THE RV ? I assume it's being distributed in any clothing, thin paneled walls, any carpet, food that is not sealed well And Finally, Like I said, " My Air conditioners work far less " !

Not All dehumidifiers are LOUD. Also when you are out for a few hours, run your loud dehumidifier then..

We also use a " humidistat " meter, keep our RV at 45-65 Humidity....
Yes, I guess that different humidfiers will emit a higher or lower noise threshold rating, yes, that's true. I like that idea of using a humidistat...let's you keep a eye on things...good tip!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

You might consider adding a drain hose to the catch container for when your rig is in storage. Put the dehumidifier on the kitchen counter and let the collected water run down the drain.
Save all those trips out to empty the container.
calendarboy is offline   Reply With Quote