Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2007, 04:19 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I've been looking for a compact dehumidifier for several months now with no luck. I had a stainless steel one I purchased from CW about 10 years ago but it gave up the ghost.

The repairman said it would be impossible to get parts to fix it. I tried to contact the manufacturer with no luck. My old one was about 16" wide X 16" deep X 14" high.

The ones at WW are too big to store when not needed.

Would the Davis Air-Dryer do as good a job?

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:19 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I've been looking for a compact dehumidifier for several months now with no luck. I had a stainless steel one I purchased from CW about 10 years ago but it gave up the ghost.

The repairman said it would be impossible to get parts to fix it. I tried to contact the manufacturer with no luck. My old one was about 16" wide X 16" deep X 14" high.

The ones at WW are too big to store when not needed.

Would the Davis Air-Dryer do as good a job?

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 01-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'll be looking for the responses, I need one too. One posting I recently read said a 30 gal one was available at Home Depot, but I don't know how big this is. Will it hold 30 gal. or does it remove 30 gal within a certain period of time?
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

That means it will do 30 pints (I think instead of gallons) in a certain time period. I've seen that one and it's too big size wise. My old one was about half that tall.

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 01-27-2007, 04:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've been looking for a compact dehumidifier for several months now with no luck. I had a stainless steel one I purchased from CW about 10 years ago but it gave up the ghost. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im going to display my ignorance here, but do you use these things while your unit is in use or in storage...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Good question. I use it in both places, depending on the humidity. I was at Canaan Valley SP in WV last April and it rained continually for 7 days. I sure could have used it then. It's amazing how much they take out of the air. You don't want to set them too low or the wood furniture and cabinets will crack. About mid way is usually pretty good. I keep the two in my house basement set midway and it keeps the air fresh and no musty smell. That, in turn, prevents mildew and mold.

Of course to use it in storage you need electric hookups. I fix the hose to mine, set it on the kitchen cabinet or bathroom counter and let it drain into the sink.

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 01-28-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have a catalog from a Winn dealer listing a Davis Air-Dryr for $73.95. It is 13.5" Diameter, by 4.25" high, plugs into 110-volt outlet, draws l.l amps, and says use in enclosed space covering 1,000 cu. ft. (not very much space). I can't imagine where the moisture can go, no tank, hose or anything. Has anyone ever used anything like this or is it just another "customer gouging"? I'd rather have something like Lowes has but 15"x11"x27" is really big. The 25 pint, 50 pint, and 70 pint are all the same size, you'd think the 25 pint would be a lot smaller than the 70 pint. Wal Mart and Tractor Supply didn't carry anything at all, don't know where else to look.
Wagonmaster2
Old 01-28-2007, 01:03 PM   #8
JC2
Winnie-Wise

I think there is one on rvupgrades.........
De-Humidifier
Old 01-28-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Here is another place I believe are the ones mentioned by Wagonmaster2.
http://www.drytheair.com/xcart/store...me.php?cat=267
Old 01-28-2007, 06:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Good question. I use it in both places, depending on the humidity </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah.. ok, baseing in Southern (its a dry heat) Arizona, its a new deal for me. Could have used one in Jersey last summer tho.. Thanks...rgr...
Old 01-29-2007, 04:28 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

We bought This One from RV upgrades. It lokks to be a nice unit and was rated high on Amazon or wherver else we researched it. Unfortunately we recently got it and aren't using it yet because it's freezing cold out there so I won't have any hands on experience for a couple of months yet. But, the reviews were good and RVupgrades always handles good stuff so I don't forsee a problem.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:54 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I was also looking into getting a dehumidfier and came up with the following two options:

This link is for the smallest compressor type unit I was able to find and also has low power consumption

http://www.qualitymatters.com/ProductDetails.asp?Produc...qmcfm-25E&click=2008

The follow is has the greatest moisture removal of capacity of the peltier type dehumidifiers

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/ADS-400.html
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:53 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

to re visit this, do you use these for personal comfort, or to maintain the MoHo interior?.. We spent some weeks in New Jersey last summer, caught the week long remnants of some hurricane, and it was like camping in a car wash..This old Desert Rat is still trying to dry out... rgr...
Old 01-29-2007, 01:23 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I used mine in my old single pane class c for moisture reduction on the insides of the windows and to prevent mold/mildew.

They do make it much more comfortable inside also.

I did run mine when in storage if I had elect hookup.

Thanks for all the responses. Some good items to look into.

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 01-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We use a HAIER unit. Works so well you don't have to use it all the time, but, we can go down to 20% any time we want. Just watch you don't get things too dry or cabinets & flooring(wood) may start to crack.
I think we bought it at smallappliances.com.
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:18 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Cruzer - was just reading about that one in RV Upgrades earlier and was wondering how it worked and if anyone had actually used one. Since the ad says no compressor, can you tell how it works to remove humidity? With your size coach do you think one will do the job? It says a capacity of one pint, does any literature that might have come with the unit tell how long it might take to get one pint or how many one pints it can do in 24 hours?
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 01-29-2007, 05:44 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

No performance specs avail. Probably because that rate of dehumidification depends too much on ambient temperature and relative humidity. Unfortunately it'll be 2 months until I have some real world feedback.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:16 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It says a capacity of one pint, does any literature that might have come with the unit tell how long it might take to get one pint or how many one pints it can do in 24 hours? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The amount of water removed by a humidfier is rated for a 24 hour period (this seems to be the standard). Compresor unit can easily remove 20 pints in a 24 hour period, where as the the Peltier type unit I linked to has a rating of I think 5.8 pints per 24 hours. I am really questioning if 5 pints a day is sufficient. Does anyone have any experience how much water is removed from the air in a 24 hour period in a humid environment?
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #19
Peaceful Explorer

This topic has not been updated in over ten years, and I'm sure technology has changed since 2007. Has anyone RECENTLY purchased a dehumidifier for their coach? We are looking at the InvisiPure Hydrowave Dehumidifier. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS7694G
Old 12-17-2019, 06:29 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Wondering if you pulled the trigger on that dehumidifier and if so, what’s your review?
Jakm is offline   Reply With Quote