Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-31-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Decals vs Paint

I've looked at the paint specs on the Winnebago webpage and found them to be helpful when determining the colors. However, does anyone know which patterns are decals and which are paint? I believe the lower area from the valance and down is painted, but some of that color continues up further. Is this also painted? I'm referring specifically to a 2004 Adventurer 31Y but most of the different models and years are much alike.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Can you view the RV in person?. The difference between decal and paint should be obvious, especially if there is clear coat over the stripe.

Having had units with both types of stripe, the difference between decal and paint/clear coat is a no-brainer; especially if you plan to keep the RV for a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
I've looked at the paint specs on the Winnebago webpage and found them to be helpful when determining the colors. However, does anyone know which patterns are decals and which are paint? I believe the lower area from the valance and down is painted, but some of that color continues up further. Is this also painted? I'm referring specifically to a 2004 Adventurer 31Y but most of the different models and years are much alike.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

All of that grey at the bottom and top of the motorhome in your picture is paint, most likely DuPont Imron which Winnebago was using in that era. Everything else is a decal.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Call Winnebago with the serial number - I'd think they'll be able to tell you.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Well, it may be obvious to some but not to me. What do you look for? What is clearcoat? I actually did call Winnebago and they were most helpful. If you look at their paint spec, it calls out the different colors but identifies them only on the Realto. However, they directed me to their Partslist, which DOES call out each decal and it's part number as well as the different paints. Not only the bottom color is paint but also the area surrounding the windshield and extending along the upper sides. Winnebago has got to be the most helpful company I have ever worked with. It's no surprise to me that they win the quality awards every year!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Call Winnebago with the serial number - I'd think they'll be able to tell you.
Look in the closet. There may be a sheet with some info like that.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I think all new cars, and some RV's have clear coat. The color paint coat is very thin, then a thick coat of clear paint is sprayed on top of this, and any painted stripes. You can detect a vinyl stripe by "catching" the edge with a fingernail; a painted stripe with clearcoat will still have a slight edge, but this will be smoother. Clear coat usually comes on upscale RV's, or with an option such as "full body paint". Thinking back to my previous MH's with vinyl stripes that deteriorated, I think this was mostly from UV damage. Use of a UV protectant might be a good way to delay or prevent damage, but this should probably be done right from when the unit was new. UV protectant like "Aerospace 606" can be purchased at boat dealers.

I agree that Winnebago is a good company. When we had a Chieftain, and took the factory tour, there was a 3M factory right across the road that made all of the vinyl stripes for Winnebago. It was fascinating to watch the ladies applying very long stripes to a motorhome. They sprayed the surface with a soapy solution, then were able to slide the stripe around for alignment before the solution dried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
Well, it may be obvious to some but not to me. What do you look for? What is clearcoat?...
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

George is right on!!!!
I totally agree that if you can run your fingernail over the edge of the area where the design meets the basic color of the coach, you will 'catch" your fingernail on a distinct ridge or edge of a decal. Paint will not have that edge as a clear topcoat paint will be applied to the entire area and the design paint will not have that definite edge between the design paint and the coach basic color paint due to the clear coating process!
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint