Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Just bought from Lictsinn... I would never go any place else! VERY helpful, freindly and VERY customer oriented. Sometimes "price" is not the only criteria. Lazy days gave me a higher trade in on my old coach, but their "lot price" on the new rig was higher. I feel Lictsinn gave me a fair price on both. They are very honest in my opinion. Hannah in financing made it very easy (almost too easy). Justin in service worked within our time frame and made it easy to get out before the snow storms came. Highly recommend them!
Jwgirardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:32 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
I did some internet surfing and found if the motor is not properly broken in there can be glazing on the pistons, create more blow by at the rings. Proper break in will allow (due to variable speeds) for better oil coverage on newly honed parts enabling them seat better.
Better fuel consumption and less oil usage is resulted.

It may seem like snake oil to some, but I buy into it.

TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com

If you don't want to read the entire article, below is the conclusion of the article.:

We know that Engine Manufacturers have built today’s diesel engines using state of the art technology. They have fashioned parts to match in near perfect fashion. We can understand, through this article, that breaking-in this modern marvel of technology is more important then the manufacturers have lead us to believe. Furthermore, we can appreciate that following their claims can result in an engine that is wrought with inefficiency, sloppy fitting parts, and oil consumption problems. Following the guidelines and warnings set forth in this article will provide anyone who desires maximum efficiency and power out of his engine many miles of trouble free operation.
It say's right in the cummins/freightliner information that you get that all engines are run on a dynomometer and no break in is needed
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza Tom View Post
It say's right in the cummins/freightliner information that you get that all engines are run on a dynomometer and no break in is needed
Yes it may say that in the "cummins/freightliner" manual but I'm getting a Mercedes, and you can see that they "DO" have a break in procedure in the Mercedes manual. I posted that info a few posts above this.

For me, I'll follow the Mercedes routine for my Mercedes.
NYBobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Lichtsinn was my first choice, mainly so I could pick up at a dealer near the factory and control the initial break in process. I found that to buy from them involved a substantial premium over the best deals available around the USA and decided that the cost savings offset the risk of not controlling the break in miles.

Lichtsinn valued my trade $ 12,000 less than the dealer I finally purchased from, that is what prevented me from doing business with them.

Lazy Days Florida was dis-advantaged by their pricing the Winnebago MH with Winnebago MRSP of $ 116K at 129K, over 5 percent higher than the Winnebago suggested MSRP. I don't know why they are doing that but it really turned me off their dealership.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

The MSRP has virtually nothing to do with the price you ultimately pay.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:38 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
Yes it may say that in the "cummins/freightliner" manual but I'm getting a Mercedes, and you can see that they "DO" have a break in procedure in the Mercedes manual. I posted that info a few posts above this.

For me, I'll follow the Mercedes routine for my Mercedes.
Sorry I missed the Post about the Mercedes.

Absolutely do what the manual says which would point you to the dealer that is nearest because the first thousand miles are critical.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:08 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

yes, I came to the same conclusion about nearest dealer after I started this thread. I have a friend that has cummings and said the same thing about no break in needed.

like I mentioned earlier, I'm not sure if it is "snake oil" or not, but following the manufacturer's instructions seems like the safest thing. If it gives me a few extra hp, or less oil consumption, better fuel economy than not following their instructions, that will be great, OR if it does nothing than I have the satisfaction of knowing all the miles were driven by me. At this point it is a Win/Win either way for me.
NYBobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

I just finished shopping for a new Winnebago Journey. Put out bid requests to all the dealers listed here plus several others. Lightsinn beat all the others on price by at least $3K (LazyDays was $18K higher), and was by far the easiest to deal with. They earned my business and got it.
mrdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:20 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Lazy Days can be a mixed bag for service and their service manager may not always honor what the sales department included as a deal clincher sometime going to extremes to get around it. They have improved over the years but usually they were always late on just about everything. Every time they called me and told me my coach was ready which usually was about a week to a month later then they promised there would be a big delay when I got there due to not being able to find the paperwork or locate the coach and then half of what was supposed to be done was not. One time the service techs had messed up the carpeting so badly that they rushed to shampoo it and returned the coach to me soaking wet not just damp and when I asked them to put a few fans in it to dry it out they looked at me like I was insane.

When I bought the coach they broke the awnings top front attachment and put a hole in the roof with a pressure washer however instead of immediately repairing it they initially wanted me to take delivery anyway driving it on the interstate in that condition to come back later for repairs. It was the rainy season too when they were trying to send me off with a hole in the roof and the front of the awning flapping about. I insisted that it be repaired before I would drive it and took plenty of photos of those and the multitude of other items that they skipped which was a good thing since they tried to deny much of it later on. I ended up having to call Winnebago to get past some of the excuses they were using to get out of fixing some things.

Recently I bought the Winnebago specified roof caulking from them and its a good thing I looked first before using it as it was almost a year past its expiration date. They did not have any usable Winnebago roof caulking in stock when I tried to exchange it for fresh so one must wonder how may coaches went out of their shop with the roof joints sealed with the expired caulking. The solvent evaporates and it won't flow and seal properly once its past its expiration date.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

RV Dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
if it's a choice only between those two I'd choose Lichtsinn. But if you're open to suggestions try Barrington RV Motor Sales in Bartlett, IL.
We live in CA and have gotten 2 RV from Barrington RV Motor Sales. We did not drive from CA to Bartlett to get a RV but were visiting friends the area.

Tags
dealer