Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dealer won't do warranty work

A local dealer (Ron Hoover in Houston), won't do non-critical warranty work on my Winnebago since I didn't buy it from them. Is this normal?!?
tmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmas View Post
A local dealer (Ron Hoover in Houston), won't do non-critical warranty work on my Winnebago since I didn't buy it from them. Is this normal?!?
Unfortunately, that is the case was many dealers. Manufacturers won't pay shop rates so the dealers just turns it away.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Unfortunately this is typical. It's an untold truth in the industry. After you buy, good luck. Even if you bought from them, service is often so bad that people make annual trips back to the manufacturer for work to be done. And if you read her long enough, you'll see that it's pretty much true for all brands. Sad. Very sad.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranemec View Post
Unfortunately, that is the case was many dealers. Manufacturers won't pay shop rates so the dealers just turns it away.
its is true from what I read but have not heard manufacturer wont pay shop rates? there may be some manufacturers whom pay a slightly less rate than full retail and that's normal. they also might have certain labour hours as maximum billable for certain jobs also. any dealer that wont do warrenty on a
a Rv because you never bought from them most likely have already more retail work than they can handle (shops full all the time)
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have run into this problem with our Chevy Van and also with our John Deere tractor. In both cases we had moved many miles away from the purchasing dealer and the new local dealer refused to perform warranty work. In both cases, when we bought newer vehicles we went elsewhere.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

There are two kinds of dealers
One "Authorized Winnabago" dealers
Two "Dealers who also sell Winnabago"

IF he is the first, Contact Winnabago..

If he is the 2nd, Shop elsewhere for service.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I would contact Winnebago just to let them know what's going on, then I'd take my rig elsewhere.

I don't want anyone working on my stuff that doesn't want to do it willingly. Shoot.... they better do it with a smile on their face and a song in their heart! If not... don't touch my rig!

BTW... Ron Hoover is not one of my favorite places. I've never had a positive experience there and they seem over priced on everything.

Good Luck to you.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Fairly typical of many dealers.

We bought two new WI from Cullum & Maxey in Nashville, and the first words out of their mouth when requesting a service appointment were "where did you buy it?"

After they told me that I had to get an appointment to get a fuse replaced (under warranty) and that it would be three weeks until I could get one, I left.

Bought our current rig from Lichtsinn, great folks. Have most of our service done by Buddy Gregg in Knoxville - they could care less where it was sold, they just want to do a good job!

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I have run into this problem with our Chevy Van and also with our John Deere tractor. In both cases we had moved many miles away from the purchasing dealer and the new local dealer refused to perform warranty work. In both cases, when we bought newer vehicles we went elsewhere.

I have never ever in my entire life heard of a gm or ford or dodge dealer ever refusing to do warrenty work on a customers car no matter where they bought it
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
I have never ever in my entire life heard of a gm or ford or dodge dealer ever refusing to do warrenty work on a customers car no matter where they bought it
I kind-a have to agree here. Before my son became a Bureau of Automotive Repair Agent for the state of CA, he worked at three different GM, Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler dealerships. They took in cars/trucks/Jeeps from all over and did warranty work on any and all of them, at any time. Not one time was any warranty work EVER REFUSED, no matter where the vehicle was purchase from.

And, most recently, we purchased a used, 2015 Jeep JKUR from a dealership in Phoenix with 27K miles on it. It still had/has plenty of factory warranty left on it. It has developed two warranty issues since we purchased it in the last 5 months. We took it to our local Jeep dealership here in Lake Havasu City and they didn't even flinch. The Jeep was taken in, info exchanged and, they would notify me when it was done. They called, we came, picked up our Jeep, with ZERO out of pocket expense.

So, if a motor home owner, brings in a coach, to a repair facility that also either sells or is authorized to repair the brand he/she brings in, and that company refuses to make repairs, I'm not sure what resources he/she has other than, to move on to find a facility that will make repairs. I guess this is where it sure has paid off to be as self sufficient as possible, for a few zillion years as many of us have.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

While RVing fulltime around the country for 7 years I never encountered a dealer who refused service OR kicked me months down the road. A few did ask if I purchased the rig there, but very few. I did encounter several that I later wished I had avoided due to their poor or downright incompetent service. I emailed Winnebago owner relations several times with service issues/questions, and sometimes asked them to recommend a dealer on my planned route to do some needed repairs I was having trouble getting done correctly.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Mr. Hoover is kind enough to spell out the priority for his customers....

tmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:51 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

That dealership is in TX. There's really no non-camping season in TX. There's no "down time." I lived there for 8 years and camped year-round.

My interpretation of Mr. Hoover's sign:

I don't want your business unless we already sold you and RV, and we really have to solve a problem with it because we are required to. And only an emergency problem, deemed entirely by us.

Oh wait. If you're passing through, we'll be happy price gouge you to fix one "emergency" because you'll be on you way in no time, and we can slap a bandaid on your issue that should last until you're too far away to return to us for an honest repair.

What a joke. Buyers beware.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Camping World is also a Winnebago dealer. Fill out their online service request and they will contact you to schedule an appointment. I have already posted on here that I had an amazing experience with them, not what I had in the past. I won't do any business with Ron Hoover.
ranchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I purchased mine at Lichtsinn and have used them, the factory and local to me Winnebago dealer in NY... so far never a problem and never got a runaround.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

There are many private repair shops and Mobile Mechanics that will do a much better job, and many that Winnebago may authorize to do warranty work. I would call Winnebago Customer Service for assistance.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Yeah, I'd think a call to Winnie would be in your interest and the interest of other RV'ers that might want to get work done there. Winnie may tolerate that sort of warranty service denial but I doubt it.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Mr. Hoover is kind enough to spell out the priority for his customers....

Besides stating what jerks they are, Ron Hoover RV can't spell and has grammar errors in their sign.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #19
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Tmas were are you in the valley? I am at Tropic Star in Pharr. Had the same problem with Ron Hoover. Winn will authorize the work if done by an qualified RV technician with a tax ID number. In the passed I had to pay for it and they reimbursed me. I have ask them to send me the parts and I have installed them. All that they ask was for me to return the defective parts. They sent the pick up in the box with the new parts. There is a dealer just South of Austin that will do the work. They have limited RV parking for customers. That is a long way from Pharr.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

If you need work on a component that the Coach manufacturer installed, find a local shop, not necessarily a MH dealer, who is an authorized warranty repair shop for that component. Shortly after we got our MH I received a warranty repair notice for the basement air conditioner. My selling dealer is more than 100 miles from me but a nearby RV repair facility was an authorized repair facility and they took care of me without any problems. Same for an HWH jack replacement at the nearby Camping World - this one did a good job. Do not feel you are tied to a MH dealership. Winnebago unique things are done by appointment at the factory, no local dealership.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, warranty