Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Damage while in storage

Our Itasca Meridian was hit while in storage. The local RV dealer was returning the trailer parked next to us after repairs. While they were backing it in, they broke our drivers side mirror off. They will be replacing the mirror once Winnebago sends them the new one. Thankfully we don't leave for our next trip until March. I'm hoping Winnebago has the part in by then. Its supposedly on back order. Sorry the picture is sideways. I'm not sure how to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2192.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	146701  
Newbie31ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

At least they were honest enough to step up... or got caught. Sorry this happened
Old 12-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
At least they were honest enough to step up... or got caught. Sorry this happened
Yes, I'm glad they called me as well. I bought my previous MH from this dealer, they have always been very good to deal with. Although, I'm sure they are aware as well that the storage facility is video monitored.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Valvac

It's a Velvac mirror. Here is their page.

https://secure.velvac.com/checkout/f...trix/index.cfm
Old 12-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Sorry about that but good to know the dealer is forthright and getting you fixed.

Just a tip in case they continue to have trouble getting a replacement from Winnebago. I replaced the mirror heads on my previous coach, a Journey. I got new chrome Velvac heads from a local Fleet Pride dealer. They were a lot cheaper and quicker than getting them from Winnebago. I called Velvac to get the correct part number to match my existing heads and Velvac suggested I order thru Fleet Pride.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Looks like my Velvac mirror I broke off last year going through a toll booth. The casting at the base breaks upon impact. The casting is a frame that holds everything - mirror s, drive mechanisms, etc. Velvac will sell you the frame - about $150 iirc. Not hard to change but a bit fiddly to do so. The mirror glass are held in my the clips you see, and a few dabs of silicone you don't see. Use a putty knife to work in under into the edge of the mirror and cut through the silicone.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Looks like my Velvac mirror I broke off last year going through a toll booth. The casting at the base breaks upon impact. The casting is a frame that holds everything - mirror s, drive mechanisms, etc. Velvac will sell you the frame - about $150 iirc. Not hard to change but a bit fiddly to do so. The mirror glass are held in my the clips you see, and a few dabs of silicone you don't see. Use a putty knife to work in under into the edge of the mirror and cut through the silicone.
Thanks. Unfortunately the black housing around the mirror is also cracked. It's hard to see that in the picture I took. But thanks for the info if I ever break the mirror myself.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everybody for the replies. I've gotten some good info here. If Winnebago doesn't ship the mirror to the dealer soon, I'll give them some of the other options presented here.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Mine has a center bolt that is soft enough to bend easily in a crash, and will break if enough force is applied. So twice now I've had to replace the bolt because of hitting things, and once replaced the mirror, but never had to replace the housing. Did have to have it painted though.

Can't tell from your photo if the housing was cracked of if it was just the bolt. Replacing the bolt is inexpensive and fairly easy. And only requires a trip to a bolt & fastener business.

PS After you download a photo from your camera onto your computer, right click on it. Rotation is probably listed there.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I agree, I fully expected to see a case of a storage lot pointing to the sign that says "We are not responsible for Damage" (Uh, I'm not a legal expert so I can't comment on those signs save to recommend you ask an expert).

Hearing them say "Gee, we are sorry but we will fix it" is refeshing..

True story
Man crashes his car.. Takes to body shop, They put on the new fender, Paint it, and when they get ready to back it out of the paint booth into the Infra Red Drying booth (back in the day of baked on finish) they forget to open the door...

Uh, Sir,, There will be a slight delay, No extra charge though....

So they get it all fixed and painted up again, drying booth is occupied so it's parked outside for a few... Shuttle Truck for the Big Department store, backing in BOBTAIL to pick up the trailer to take to the store.......

Uh, Sir, We are sorry, there will be another slight delay, But you won't be charged any extra, the Semi Truck Company will pay for it.

I kid you now. Story is true, I witnessed the truck/car crash myself, I worked at said warehouse.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Yup, it happens. My brother bought a brand new Chevy 4x4 truck, took it directly from the dealer to a shop to have suspension, tires, rims, etc installed. While there, one of their "low-wage" shop jockeys was moving it and hit a bollard (steel pipe set in the asphalt to protect an electrical transformer). Wiped out the right side of the bed and right rear rim! The truck had only 18 miles on the odometer! After replacing the bed and rim, the shop tried 3 times to get the paint matched (black), finally let my brother take it to a different shop of his choosing (who DID get the match right); all at no cost of course!! Oh, he also got a 50% discount on the tires/rims/suspension!!
Old 12-15-2016, 08:01 PM   #12

RV Dealer employees get really good at moving stuff around but make mistakes. Always walk around your vehicle before leaving a repair shop.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Velvac makes that exact mirror in two different sizes, one of which is a taller profile, or height, giving you more usable mirror glass surface area. I changed mine out, which was easy to do, and can now see more of the roof-line at the back of the motorhome, great for seeing those branches when backing into a RV site.

I believe the Velvac model number was 2025, which can be mounted in the 'up' position, or 'down', like a bus, but you would need to verify. -RT

Here's an example of the mirror-head size. I bought them from this company and they offered me a better price by ordering both Left and Right mirrors then the stand-alone pricing, dropped shipped to my home.

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/ve...h-p-u80-714882
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Small update: I checked with the RV dealer yesterday. The mirror still hasn't arrived from Winnebago. I appreciate all the responses, unfortunately I am at the mercy of the dealer who did the damage, they already ordered it from Winnebago. If I ever damage the mirror myself, I'll order it directly from the manufacturer. The gentleman I have been dealing with is off for the holidays, so hopefully I will get better information when he returns. Merry Christmas everybody!
Old 12-29-2016, 09:38 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I'd 2nd that

Ryder Fleet Products gets my vote!! Ordered a replacement head (2025) late Monday afternoon. Received it before noon on Thursday. They had all the info you need to order on the web site. And priced very competitively!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
Velvac makes that exact mirror in two different sizes, one of which is a taller profile, or height, giving you more usable mirror glass surface area. I changed mine out, which was easy to do, and can now see more of the roof-line at the back of the motorhome, great for seeing those branches when backing into a RV site.

I believe the Velvac model number was 2025, which can be mounted in the 'up' position, or 'down', like a bus, but you would need to verify. -RT

Here's an example of the mirror-head size. I bought them from this company and they offered me a better price by ordering both Left and Right mirrors then the stand-alone pricing, dropped shipped to my home.

Mirror asm model 2025 R/H, 714882, Velvac
Old 03-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

So another update. We got the coach back with the new mirror in early February. About a week later I noticed the mirror was loose and not attached tightly to the coach. I took it in to the dealer and the mechanic tried to tell me that it wasn't like that when he finished the job. I picked up the coach a day later and was told the screws were too long and wouldn't let the mirror be tightened. Something tells me he didn't install it correctly in the first place. Ok, fast forward to March 4th. We are driving down to Key West. It's about 7 pm, I'm driving down 95 SB near Fort Pierce. I'm passing a slow moving semi and another semi comes barreling down the road and tailgates me until I get past the slow Semi and move back over. The other semi blows past me and cuts me off and hits the brand new mirror. Smashed. He takes off like a bat out of hell. I was so shaken at that moment I didn't get his license plate #. Florida state highway patrol said there was nothing g they could do without the plate #. So, I guess I will be buying a new mirror when I get home from Florida.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:40 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

We parked our MH at the storage yard after returning from a trip last summer. Went out to the coach a week later, and found the RH mirror loose and bent around to where it faced the windshield. Scratches on the front cap-now what caused that? Our forensic investigation found some orange plastic debris directly in front of the MH. I picked up the evidence and walked around the corner of the storage yard. There I found a new fifth wheel that had the left rear panel completely pulled off (like you unzipped it at the corner) and, guess what, a broken clearance light that matched my evidence. We had a chance run-in with the owner of the 5ver a couple of days later. He said he didn't notice the damage to his trailer or that to my MH. Cause was that as he turned the corner, he swung his 5ver too close to the front of our MH and ripped his trailer on our mirror. Insurance (his) fixed us up as good as new.
So fast forward a couple of months and we check on the MH and find the big sliding window in the front slide out was completely shattered. My DW found the evidence this time, a 1/2" dia glass marble on the valance inside the RV. Slingshot (kids still have those??). New window parts only >$2k+ installation, and a 4 week wait while they manufacture a new window. Our ins. this time, but we have glass coverage, no deductible.

Please let this be the end of it.....

Sure wish we had inside storage around here.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:44 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Another update

We were able to have another mirror ordered and shipped overnight. There is a RV repairman coming to install the new mirror before we leave Key West. Driving back to Ohio with a smashed drivers side mirror would have been miserable.

Tags
storage