Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Curb Weight 2003 Itasca Spirit 31t

The State of Washington Department of Licensing wants to charge me extra $$ to renew my Spirit registration based on the vehicle weight. I am annoyed, since they are already charging:
  • $30.00 License Fee
  • $3.00 RV Disposal Fee
  • $75.00 Motor Home Weight Fee
  • $3.00 Filing Fee
  • $5.00 Service Fee
  • $0.25 License Service Fee
  • $0.50 DOL Service Fee
  • $138.00 Regional Transit Authority Tax
This adds up to $254.75 for an almost 15 year-old motor home. The additional weight fee will be between $10.00 and $32.00 more, and the allowable sources of the weight number include:
  • The Owners Manual
  • A previous title or registration
  • A nationally accepted vehicle value guide
  • The Vehicle manufacturer web site

If I can't find the weight of the vehicle using the above sources, I will need to take the vehicle to someone with a certified scale and pay them to weigh it for me.

I have been able to find the GVWR of 14,050 pounds, but I can't find any documentation of what the unloaded curb weight is in my owners manual, nor on the Winnebago web site. My current registration has the weight listed as "0," but I doubt the DOL will accept that. As a matter of principle, I don't want to locate a certified scale and pay extra to determine whether my additional tax will be $10.00 or $32.00. Does anyone have a source that documents the unloaded scale weight of a 2003 Itasca Spirit 31foot?
donspinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Google CAT scales to get the location of the nearest scale. For $10-$12 and a couple of minutes of your time, you will have a certified weight. These scales are located in most truck stops.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Winnebago included a sheet for your specific VIN and Serial # in your owners documentation package that lists the unloaded weight with full fuel, the weight of a full water load, so you could know remaining cargo capacity with full fuel and water. If you still have the owners document package look in there.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to both of you for the excellent advice. I found a CAT scale about 15 miles from here which I will check out sometime in the future when I am driving in that direction (mainly for safety check on the axel weights).

I went through voluminous papers in the owners satchel that came with the Spirit, and did find a sheet from Winnebago titled Motor Home Weight Information, which has exactly what I need. It looks like my UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight) is 10,980 lbs, and my CCC (Cargo Cary Capacity) is 1,778, which is more than I expected.

I also discovered that my Spirit shipped with an Inverter, which I don't think it has now. That is a very nice surprise, since I suppose that the wiring for the inverter is still there, and it should be relatively easy to replace it.
donspinelake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, weight