Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cruise control

The cruise control on our 2004 Sightseer does not work. The last time it happened the ABS light was also on so I took it to Workhorse shop and they traced wires for 2 hours before they found Cruise Control fuse under the front hood was blown. $256.00 and one 20 cent fuse later the cruise control worked and the ABS light stayed off. They said the ABS system gets some of it's info from the cruise control. ?? Now the cruise control does not work again and the ABS light comes on after I make the first full stop of the day. The ABS light stays off as long as I don't come to a complete stop. Have checked all fuses and they are all good.Anyone have any ideas? Sure would be nice to have the cruise control back and that annoying ABS light turned off. Thanks in advance.
GAVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVERY View Post
The cruise control on our 2004 Sightseer does not work. The last time it happened the ABS light was also on so I took it to Workhorse shop and they traced wires for 2 hours before they found Cruise Control fuse under the front hood was blown. $256.00 and one 20 cent fuse later the cruise control worked and the ABS light stayed off. They said the ABS system gets some of it's info from the cruise control. ?? Now the cruise control does not work again and the ABS light comes on after I make the first full stop of the day. The ABS light stays off as long as I don't come to a complete stop. Have checked all fuses and they are all good.Anyone have any ideas? Sure would be nice to have the cruise control back and that annoying ABS light turned off. Thanks in advance.
The cruise control is tied into the brake light switch. For example if you cut on your 4-way flasher, this will cancel the cruise. The reason I believe is related to a voltage being sent to the brake lamp circuits. If you tap you brake this also cancels the cruise.

Has anything changed on the back of your coach. New plug for a toad, or something with the car perhaps. Something caused that fuse to blow. ID the location of the short and you'll fix this problem.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Nothing has changed on the back of the motorhome and the Cruise Control fuse is not blown now so there must not be a short. The cruise control just doesn't work and the ABS light comes on after first full stop of the day. Glen
Old 09-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

For the ABS you might try cleaning the sensors. It is easier than it sounds

You will need, A cleaning cloth and cleaner.. That's about all. (No wrench required, Pliars might be helpful but frankly I did not need)

Make sure your brake lights are working properly. The fuse for brake lights is in the box under the hood.. Roughly center, top. (The box, not the fuse, it's in the bottom row as I recalll, is a 20 amp "mini" blade type)
Old 09-14-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Have you checked the brake linkage? I have a 2003 Adventurer with the workhorse and found my cruise was not working what was happening was the brake pedal was not releasing fully, (lack of lubrication) I used some PB Blaster penetrating oil and that helped a bit I finally installed a grease fitting in that tube and loaded it with grease has worked great since, I believe workhorse started installing the grease fitting in 2004-5 would be something for you to check
Old 09-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I will look at that Barry, may be the answer. Is that tube at the top of the brake peddle shaft?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Make sure all your brake lights are working. I had a blown rear brake light that caused the cruise control to not work. After replacing the light, I had to disconnect the chassis battery for about 5 minutes to clear the computer. Cruise worked fine after that.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVERY View Post
i don't know about the abs light portion of your cc problem but on my moho the brake light switch under the dash to the right of the steering column has 2 parts. one part operates the brake lights and the other the cc. the plunger on my switch was worn enough in 8k miles so that my cc would not work, but the brake lights functioned normally.
i disconnected both connector plugs from the switch (a pita) and using a multi meter, adjusted the switch by threading it closer to the brake pedal so that when the brake light portion of the switch was open, (no continuity, brakes off) the cc portion had continuity. i tested it several times before reconnecting the connectors.
my cc has functioned normally since.
it probably would be a good idea to clean the contacts inside this switch with contact cleaner while you are at it.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote