Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Creaky Floor

The floor in my motor home has gotten very creaky in the area right outside my bathroom. The bathroom itself is quiet and solid. I find no discolorization, staining or any other sign of moisture. The creaky spot is about a 2' X 2' square.

How does one go about fixing this? I am not anxious to rip out the carpeting.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
I know how you feel!

Our 2009 Safari Simba from time to time has the same problem.

I am going to crawl under the coach tomorrow, as long as it is not raining, to see what I can see and I will let you know.
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
The floor in my motor home has gotten very creaky in the area right outside my bathroom. The bathroom itself is quiet and solid. I find no discolorization, staining or any other sign of moisture. The creaky spot is about a 2' X 2' square.

There were some model years where folks reported steel cross-members breaking loose at the welds. Suggest checking under the rig in that location to see if that might be the problem. If not, you may need to pull the carpet to see if you have other problems.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

My 2004 Meridian has always had a creaky floor between the shower and the vanity. It did it when the salesman was giving us our walk through on the coach we had ordered and when I mentioned it he said the factory would have to address that (and this was before we signed any papers, I should have walked right then when he said we'd have to go to the factory to correct it).

The next year I was at Forest City and mentioned this problem. All they said they did was tighten the shower wall where it attaches to the outside coach wall. Didn't notice the creaking for the next outing but then it returned.

It seems to be worse in cold weather the first trip through the bathroom first thing in the morning, or if we've been out of the coach all day. Its hard for me to pin down because it creaks or pops once when that area is stepped on then won't do it again for several hours. This has been going on for several years now, no worse no better. Figured it was just another Winnebago snafu.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
My 2004 Meridian has always had a creaky floor between the shower and the vanity. Wagonmaster2
Had the same problem with my '04 Meridian 36G floor plan. Chased it for a long time including a trip to Forest City.... finally the good folks at 3T's in Lake Havasu City corrected it. They fabricated a square-tube frame and welded it to the existing frame under the right rear wheel-well. This eliminated the 'oil-can' noise from the floor.

If you can, observe that area just above the rear tires while someone is walking through the area in the motorhome. Chances are, you will hear or see the floor flexing in this area.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I had a creaky floor problem - mine was because the floor was flexing slightly and rubbing on a furnace floor vent.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

My '04 Chieftain also creaks in an 2' x 2' area in the bathroom area. It's been this way for the last 4 years.

I talked to factory service on this and he said some folks have been able to fix it by inserting a block of wood as a vertical brace in the heater ducting as close as possible to the creaking. In my case I would need a 3 ft long forearm to reach the spot.

Otherwise, he suggested pulling up the tile or carpet and running some screws down. He said that my vinyl tile squares would be damaged trying to pull them up, so I would need new replacements. If it was carpeted in this area, I would pull it up and put the screws in. With carpet, you might be able to just run some smaller screws down inside the carpet nap and not be too noticeable.

The holding tanks are in this area, so it's not as simple as looking under the coach and seeing some flexing. There is a floor and a sub-floor to deal with. I wish I could just jam some wedges between the floor and the braces, but that would require some major disassembly.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 01-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

After crawling under the coach today, my creaky floor seems to be a tongue and groove joint in the hallway. My floor is vinyl tiled in that area so I think I will investigate an additional support with some carpenters glue first.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Did some additional investigating today and it looks like our floor in the hallway between the kitchen and the bedroom/bathroom is tiled with Alure type of flooring.

I initially thought that it was a joint in the plywood that was creaking but after crawling around on the floor while the wife walked back and forth over the creaky area, it now looks like the Alure, or whatever it is, is actually lifting up from the plywood and the creak that we hear is more like the glue coming undone.

At our next stop I will stop by Home Depot or whoever and see what kind of glue they recommend .

It looks like I will be able to get some glue between the tile and sub floor by going in thru the heat register and maybe the furnace area.

Does anyone know of a way to inject glue thru a tight spot like that?

I really don't want to take the floor up.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by idenphones View Post
Did some additional investigating today and it looks like our floor in the hallway between the kitchen and the bedroom/bathroom is tiled with Alure type of flooring.

I initially thought that it was a joint in the plywood that was creaking but after crawling around on the floor while the wife walked back and forth over the creaky area, it now looks like the Alure, or whatever it is, is actually lifting up from the plywood and the creak that we hear is more like the glue coming undone.

At our next stop I will stop by Home Depot or whoever and see what kind of glue they recommend .

It looks like I will be able to get some glue between the tile and sub floor by going in thru the heat register and maybe the furnace area.

Does anyone know of a way to inject glue thru a tight spot like that?

I really don't want to take the floor up.
Injecting adhesive may be somewhat difficult depending on how much space you have. I'd consider getting a tube of Loctite Powergrab or maybe some Liguid Nails construction adhesive and use a caulking gun.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the idea but I don't think that they make a chalking gun small enough to get in there. But, I sure wish someone did.

You did give me an idea for "injection".

I will pickup a small pen type oiller that has the needle like applicator and see if an adhesive will work with it.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

i have used a hypodermic syringe to inject epoxy into some tight spots
some pharmacies will let you buy one if your honest about what your doing with it
Old 02-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

You can get veterinary syringes at farm supply stores - at least you could. I haven't tried for several years.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Gotta luv this forum.

More great ideas. Thanks!!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:32 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post

Mine has started to do that also and if you remove the vent that is in the base of the wall foward of the bathroom door you may find that the there has been some moisture comming from under the shower pan. The caulking may have failed either around the shower valve panel of the tub surround, the right side of the shower door frame or at the shower door threshold which may allow water to go under the shower pan without leaving any noticeable suface staining.

To fix the creaking is another matter an may erquire removing the carpet.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

You are absolutely right about the moisture from the shower. During December, we had a hard freeze here and it caught me un-winterized (I live in California, winterizing is not part of my thought process) and the shower valve ended up with a really slow leak. It would drip one drop abount every 5 minutes so I didn't notice it right away. I have since fixed this.

I am still not sure what to do about the creaky floor.