Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-03-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
TAN
Winnebago Owner

Has enyone ever had there fiberglass bumper cracked. I have an Atasca 29R and the front bumper had stress crackes. It happened twice on one side and once on the other side. This happened in the first year of onership and of course Winnebago would not fix it either time. I was left to have it fixt at my expence. It had been done so bad at the facktory that both sides had to be reinforced. This was allso done at my expense. Also the paint on the storage doors had shrunk 1/2 on both sides of several storage doors. I also had to pay for this. All pictures had been sent to Winnebago. The cost to have this all done was $2200.00 and Winnebago paid $300.00. any one else have warranty issues with Winnebago.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
TAN
Winnebago Owner

Has enyone ever had there fiberglass bumper cracked. I have an Atasca 29R and the front bumper had stress crackes. It happened twice on one side and once on the other side. This happened in the first year of onership and of course Winnebago would not fix it either time. I was left to have it fixt at my expence. It had been done so bad at the facktory that both sides had to be reinforced. This was allso done at my expense. Also the paint on the storage doors had shrunk 1/2 on both sides of several storage doors. I also had to pay for this. All pictures had been sent to Winnebago. The cost to have this all done was $2200.00 and Winnebago paid $300.00. any one else have warranty issues with Winnebago.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm guessing "Atasca 29R" would be an Itasca ?? 29R ...can't guess the model name (Suncruiser, etc) or year, so can't really picture what you have.

Not sure what you mean by "paint ...had shrunk 1/2 on both sides of several storage doors" so can't address that. We haven't had any paint issues I could call "shrinking."

We do have a small crack in the bottom of the rear bumper/lower body panel at one side. I haven't discussed that with Winnebago, although now I suspect the cause was the rear "bumper" coming unglued from the support bracket behind it. They did cover the cost of regluing the bumper to the support bracket even though it was well out of warranty (at 2 1/2 year point). Our engine access door was coming loose and was reglued at the same time.

Since I don't know your MH model or the year, I can only guess, but is it possible that the bumper is loose from the support bracket behind it? If so, THAT may be a warranty issue that might help in getting Winnebago to get more involved. Winnebago had problems with the glue they used to attach fiberglass to steel in the '03-05' timeframe, and many had to have generator and engine access doors reglued.

I normally contact Owner Relations via email and/or telephone with any issues or questions. It sounds like you did that too, but overall, I would have to say that Winnebago has been very supportive in any issues we have had, both during the stated warranty period and after.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
TAN
Winnebago Owner

Its an Atasca 29R Sunova. I sent them picture's of all the problams with the bumper. The shrinking of the paint was just that. You could see the the edge of the material that the storages doors were made of because the paint had shrunk in from the sides.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Is it paint, or a vinyl decal?? I can't understand how paint could shrink up like that. Some very recent year Sunovas may have full-body paint, but most Sunovas on the road now would have white gel-coat with vinyl decals added on the surface. They do shrink and even crack with age, but I wouldn't expect that with a fairly new rig.

Are Winnebago products badged differently in Canada like some cars are? (or at least were some year ago.) In the US it would be an Itasca.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I recently noticed some severe cracking of the rear "bumper" around the electrical towing receptacle. I haven't had a chance to see just how deep the cracks are, but as my Sightseer is just over a year old, I'm definately not happy about it.

This, as well as many other "fit and finish" issues has somewhat turned me off Winnebago. I think they are generally a good product, but the lack of care taken at assembly has left me cold. A regular automobile with this many quality and "assembly care" issues would probably never get sold. Yet we seem to accept this sort of thing with our motorhomes.

I hope the folks at Winnebago read this thread. Is this a common problem with other manufacturers? Probably.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TAN:
Its an Atasca 29R Sunova. I sent them picture's of all the problams with the bumper. The shrinking of the paint was just that. You could see the the edge of the material that the storages doors were made of because the paint had shrunk in from the sides. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do we have a model year too? I see that this model came out in 2005 and seems to have stick on body graphics or decals on some of the compartment doors. I would doubt they would pay for a paint shop to do custom paint instead of a dealer replacing the shrunken decals.

On the bumper did the shop attribute the cracks to ice damage due to the coach being frozen in? Allowing a coach to become frozen in or trying to move a frozen in coach without properly clearing it could cause this type of damage and would not be covered either.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

It might also be useful if pictures of the bumper were posted as many things could cause cracks such as hitting objects etc.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:10 AM   #9
TAN
Winnebago Owner

2005 Itasca Sonova. Yes the storage doors are decals and that is what has shrunk a 1/2 inch on each side of doors. also the strees cracks on the frunt bumper was because of lack of reinforcing at the factory. Yes I sent Winnebago lots of pictures but they still only paid $300.00 of the $2200.00 that I was charged. I can not post the pictures because since I had it done my hard drive had to be replaced. Perhaps the body shop that did the repairs still has them.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TAN:
2005 Itasca Sonova. Yes the storage doors are decals and that is what has shrunk a 1/2 inch on each side of doors. also the strees cracks on the frunt bumper was because of lack of reinforcing at the factory. Yes I sent Winnebago lots of pictures but they still only paid $300.00 of the $2200.00 that I was charged. I can not post the pictures because since I had it done my hard drive had to be replaced. Perhaps the body shop that did the repairs still has them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But did the body shop replace the decals with new Winnebago provided decals or did they do a $2200.00 custom paint job instead. If you had a paint shop upgrade your decals to custom paint because the decals were defective then Winnebago or any other manufacturer is only going to reimburse you the value of what they originaly provided not the cost of an upgrade. If the shop was not a Winnebago authorised repair center and charged more then the usual and customary fee for replacing/repairing the decals then again the repair would most likely not be covered except for a reimbursement of what they consider the usual and customary charges for that service.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:12 AM   #11
TAN
Winnebago Owner

The front bumper cracked twice on the right side ond once on the left. I feel the should of paid more than three hundred.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

The front bumper cracked twice on the right side ond once on the left. I feel the should of paid more than three hundred. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did a Winnebago authorized dealer do the repairs? If not were the repairs done after getting authorization first? Were the repairs done in a manner that Winnebago approved of? How did the repair shop bill out the repairs?

If the answers to the first three questions is no and the answer to 4 was ice, extreme weather, parking lot or impact damage then I am surprised that they paid anything at all.

Your dealer and the repair shop are also a factor here. A good dealer would have supported your claim and gotten your warrenty work authorized prior to starting the repairs and would have done the repair as directed by Winnebago engineering.

You mention the first year of ownershiop but do not mention if you are the original owner. It is almost 2008 and the 2009 models will start to be released in the not that distant future. A first year of ownership problem on a 2005 seems a bit odd at this time.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #13
TAN
Winnebago Owner

Yes I bought it new. The RV Dealer were I bought it were no help. The RV Dealer that was helping me went out of business. The dealer who went out of business gave me $700.00. So I am realy only out $1200.00
Old 10-10-2007, 12:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Yes I bought it new. The RV Dealer were I bought it were no help. The RV Dealer that was helping me went out of business. The dealer who went out of business gave me $700.00. So I am realy only out $1200.00 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You really have not given us much to work with here in the way of straight answers. Sorry but if you sent Winnebago a bunch of pics and asked them to pay for an overpriced and unathorized repair that had already been done then it is not really a problem with Winnebago.

Chock it up to a learning experience and next time call the manufacturer and speak with them before having any warrenty work done. Work out the problem, solution, service center and cost first. If you decide to have upgrades done then be prepared to pay the difference as most often the manufacturer will only pay for what was originally there or what they have decided is now appropriate.

It's fixed now? Then it's time to move on and enjoy camping. Take plenty of pics while your at it.

Kindest regards,
Old 10-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
TAN
Winnebago Owner

Your right NeilV its for me to stop whining and move on.