Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

"Cool" weather suggestions?

We are enroute to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and be there for 15 days. Weather forecast temps into low 20's at night and 50s during day. Looking for suggestions to prevent water lines from freezing up without doing winterizing the water system. Before we left home the low temps forecasts where in the 30s.
Would a 75-100 watt light blub in the water temp area be enough?
Any past experiences/suggestions would be appreciated.
hscole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscole View Post
We are enroute to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and be there for 15 days. Weather forecast temps into low 20's at night and 50s during day. Looking for suggestions to prevent water lines from freezing up without doing winterizing the water system. Before we left home the low temps forecasts where in the 30s.
hscole
When camping in an area with "low 20's at night and 50s during day",
I simply disconnect and drain my city water hose and use the water from my on board water tank.
It takes a day, (or 2), of "constant below freezing outside temps" to freeze anything inside my coach...(weeks if I use the propane furnace to keep the inside of my coach at a comfortable temp).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
hscole
When camping in an area with "low 20's at night and 50s during day",
I simply disconnect and drain my city water hose and use the water from my on board water tank.
It takes a day, (or 2), of "constant below freezing outside temps" to freeze anything inside my coach...(weeks if I use the propane furnace to keep the inside of my coach at a comfortable temp).
Mel
'96 Safari
In agreement with Mel. We have done quite a bit of cold weather travel and the only time we had a problem is when I'd forget to disconnect and drain the city water supply line. A few times using the wife's hair dryer to thaw out and disconnect pretty well broke me of that habit.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The only thing I can think of to do something about is an outside shower.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We wintered in Victoria BC last winter with temps that dropped into the 20's I used heat tape around the water hose wrapped with plumbers foam pipe covering. Ran it right into the water compartment. we also ran our basement heat at night, set ours to around 55 F. The only problem we had was the rv sites water stands froze once. We wrapped that with some old towels and our cars reflective sun screen and no probs after that. We were there from Nov1 to March 30.
BCIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

hscole, been there meany times. First and foremost run the gas furnace at night to keep some heat in the basement area. Put a drop light in next to the water pump. We would only hook up the city water when we took showers this disconnect and get all the water out of the hose before storing. Only hook up the drain pipe when you are draining the tanks. Carry a electric heater so you don't use so much propane, which you will. Watch the propane level and do not run out.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

X2 for protecting the water pump. Mine is about 2" from the access door and can freeze quicker than anything else in/on the MH. Doesn't take much heat to make a big difference. A powered 25W bulb laying on the floor under/beside the pump will do the job.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I have 2 each 75 watt drop lights. One is next to the water pump and the other is in the wet bay in back of the panel. When weather dictates both are turned on when driving (via inverter) and also when parked in campground.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

All the above are good tips - does your unit have tank heaters? If so use them.

Keep the interior of your unit comfy warm (shirtsleeve) - this should take care of all your plumbing.

Keep some water in your FWT for nighttime trips to the bath. Assuming your Water pump is colocated near your HWH, keeping the HWH on should generate enough heat to keep the pump functional. (Also, in a lot of units, the water pump is inboard and will be kept heated by the furnace.

Sounds like a fun trip you have planned!! Let us know how it goes!
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

Quote:
The temp got to 10 overnight. I put a 75w light bulb in the water pump area and was using the propane furnace in the motor home. The temp in the water pump area was 48 through out the night.
Thanks for all the suggestions. This is one great forum.
hscole is offline   Reply With Quote