Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We are frustrated by rising diesel prices, a large coach with 4 slides that no longer meets our needs and poor ride. We bought it and planned to live in it until our house was done and we planned on using it to go to woodcarving shows and needed the extra cargo capacity. House is now done and due to the rising fuel prices our plans have changed with regard to needing the extra cargo capacity.

So, we are looking to downsize and go back to gas. Our coach is just too big for us now and we really want something that is easier to find places to park.

We had an Itasca in the past and liked it but had some bad experiences with quality control in the coach so we're on the fence now about jumping from the firing pan into the fire.

If you have purchased a new Winnebago/Itasca 2007 or newer what has the quality been like? Have you had any major problems?

If you have one of the models mentioned how do you like it and pros and cons of the model. I like the layout of the 32H but hubby is not thrilled with having the long slide and all the storage hard to get at.

Thanks,
Nedra
Nedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We are frustrated by rising diesel prices, a large coach with 4 slides that no longer meets our needs and poor ride. We bought it and planned to live in it until our house was done and we planned on using it to go to woodcarving shows and needed the extra cargo capacity. House is now done and due to the rising fuel prices our plans have changed with regard to needing the extra cargo capacity.

So, we are looking to downsize and go back to gas. Our coach is just too big for us now and we really want something that is easier to find places to park.

We had an Itasca in the past and liked it but had some bad experiences with quality control in the coach so we're on the fence now about jumping from the firing pan into the fire.

If you have purchased a new Winnebago/Itasca 2007 or newer what has the quality been like? Have you had any major problems?

If you have one of the models mentioned how do you like it and pros and cons of the model. I like the layout of the 32H but hubby is not thrilled with having the long slide and all the storage hard to get at.

Thanks,
Nedra
Old 06-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #3

We love the opposing slides in our 35A. This is a very popular model as your living area is HUGE. Many comment on how big this area is. The small kitchen slide out doesn't take much of the outside area either.

Winnebago quality is very good with good wall to floor and roof connections. I would rate their insulation values as subpar, and they build units for moderate climates only.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We also like the huge living room in our 2006 34A, and we ave seen no rig this size that we like more. However, having the TV up front is a problem. It is difficult to watch TV from any location in the rig (I moved it to the side wall, but that is a different topic). One thing that I was looking for was a rig with a separate room for the toilet. The 34A has this, the 32H does not. Quality wise the rig is well built. Our inly problem is the power connection to the HMH hydraulic system. It frequently disengages.

Our mileage is 8-9 MPG except when we cross the rockies when it drops to 4.

Given the cost of changing rigs, I suspect that you are better of keeping what you have.

Good luck.

arne

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=664&cat=2
ARNE-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Have a 07 itasca sunrise 35a WH 22k chassis that bought in feb and nice unit but would drive a 24K wh to compare if you have a chance. Had some slide issues but WB did a great job getting it fixed. The only question we have is will basement air cool unit in south louisiana in august. Jim Weiner
Old 06-14-2008, 04:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I'm curious about the comment that Winnebago insulation is subpar. We live in New Mexico and it is NOT a moderate climate. I like the layout of the 35A but the location of the TV seems to be placed so that it is difficult to see. I see it is in the same place for other models such as the Sigtseer 31E.

Nedra
Old 06-14-2008, 06:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have the 2007 35A on the 24,000 chassis. I really wanted the kitchen slideout so I opted for this unit. However, it does reduce my awning space outside, but would rather have the wide open living area.

I just returned from Mesquite, NV and it was 109 with the wind blowing right before I left. Like being in a "Blow Dryer". It was difficult keeping my unit cooled.....best I could do was 84....front windows were covered with a reflective windshield cover AND the curtains. I had NO shade trees.....so all in all it was ok with a small fan going BUT knew it was time to return home to Oregon <grin>.

My MH is in the shop now ha ha getting the kitchen slide fixed..this will be the second time....the first had to have the Mobile people out as the slide was OUT...this time it was IN and wouldnt go out. Apparantly there is a bypass by pushing 2 buttons at the same time but of course it didnt work for me HAH. Im hoping to have this fixed once and for all...yep thats my theory.

I have had NO other issues so far. I like the fit and finish and have been pleased with the quality. I am a single female traveler SO I unfortunately can fix NOTHING myself and too old to learn now. I rely on a good dealer or RV repair shop of which I have in my home town, however I am never there.....or rarely there. I am headed to Salem to work up there now so if anyone has any good recommendations where I can exercise my checkbook if needed let me know.
OregonLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hi OregonLuvr,
don't feel bad about your coach not maintaining a temp above 84. Our Neptune (a diesel pusher) was parked here in 100 degree temps last year when we moved to NM and we had the same problem. Our ac's were able to maintain about 85 but the units were on constantly. We had a sunshade on the windshield and side windows with 95% protection and the curtains drawn as well. All the shades in the coach were drawn as well.

There's just so much those AC's can do in those kinds of temps with the sun beating down on the coach and I don't care how good the insultation is.

I like the 35A but I don't like the location of the tv and we want to downsize. That unit is only a ft shorter than we have now so by going down to the 32H we get a nice long wheel base for a more comfortable ride and a full wall slide on one side that really creates a nice living area all around.

Nedra