Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Smile Considering purchasing a 2018 Winnebago Sightseer 33C

We've owned a travel trailer for many years and are now ready to upgrade to our first motor home. We just saw a 2018 Winnebago Sightseer 33C and liked the plan a lot, and it is a very strong candidate.

Are there are peculiarities / issues / problems with this model that anyone has encountered?

Who makes the slides on this unit, and is there any slide maintenance we can do to be proactive and reduce the risk of slide problems down the road?

All feedback is appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.
IslandNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

33c

2018 will have the newer slide Power Gear system. Only thing I would make sure is that additional slide rollers are added under galley peninsula.
chickenman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Had a friend who bought one...

- Be aware that if you get with washer dryer option, you lose your kitchen pantry storage space.

- If you do any amount of boondocking at all, IMHO this is not the right floor plan for that. Terrible ventilation to move fresh air in or out.

- Be sure to evaluate the basement storage. No pass thru storage at all. Limited places to put large items. IMHO, storage by the entry door is pretty strange, not Winnebago's best effort.

- Be sure to evaluate it with the slides closed, it is pretty tight to move from the front to the back area where the entry door and bathroom are.

- IMHO, this particular floor plan is pretty much un-usable with the slides in, even so far as sitting down for a quick meal goes.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

More on 33c

POWERCAT_RAS brings up some good points to consider when making your big decision. Always consider how you may use it and your needs for traveling, boondocking, full timing or just weekend camping.

We found we love having our own washer/dryer. Pantry's are nice but there are a lot of other cabinets with this floor plan.

Ventilation is fine - lots of windows with screens.

Storage is fine - does lack a pass thru but has a large deep bay for chairs and table and room for a corn hole game. It is an odd shaped compartment by the entry door but we just arranged different gear into them.

We shortened the sofa 2" and that makes it easier to walk the narrow isle with slides closed. With all the slides in the whole coach is accessible with the exception of the bedroom drawers. We've camped many times in high wind conditions with slides in and been comfortable. A quick lunch stop when on the road is done also with plenty of room at the table.

We love that when watching tv you can view it straight on and not looking sideways as you do for some floor plans.

Good luck shopping!
Old 09-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I suggest you look at as many floor plans as possible in your size range. Many things can be changed or modified but the basic floor plan can't, except for minor mods as described by BMcD. The straight-on TV viewing is nice.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Make sure to test drive it to make sure it handles well. I went with a new Minnie Winnie 31D (2017)...I like being a little lower to the ground. With a range of about 400 miles, the smaller fuel tank is not an issue but I note the 33C has a 80 gal gas tank vs 55 on the 31D. I like having a bed over the cab for soft storage and overflow when I have guests. My 31D has a desk that accommodates a laptop, 2nd monitor, and 2 printers (I work on the road part-time). I have an oven + convection microwave. I have 3 TVs, all set up perfectly for viewing. The bigger fridge and freezer aren't something I need, would have empty space or get filled with old items that need to be thrown out. My cab seates swivel around and are good for watching TV, and lower to the ground which is great for the dog. Not knocking the 33C, looks very nice. Just comparing and giving you a few things to think about. A MW is about 20K less in price.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We had a 32H, very similar and the full wall slide was 3K nightmare to get fixed. We have since sold it and went simple. All that said we loved the floor plan of the 22C and 32H.
Santee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I would look at newmar. Quality is better and dealers service is better. We have owned both
Farmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #9
Vietnam Veteran 1967-1970

Sightseer33c

We have a 2019 Sightseer 33C. Love it. Moved the Ventilation fan from kitchen area to the bathroom and installed an automatic ventilator fan in it's place. Lots of windows with screens. We removed the Euro chair and couch-bed and replaced them with a love seat recliners and matching cabinet similar to the new Adventurer 33c. We now have plenty of room to move back and fourth. We gained about 8 more inches to what was already there. We have a washer and dryer AND love them.

Another reason we bought the 33c is BECAUSE if you look at ALL others, we have 3280 lbs. That's enough weight for water, people and supplies. Most are well under 2000lbs. Of ccc .. We looked at Bounder, Allegro etc. Just check around. We think our 33c is built quite well for an RV. When something breaks, use longer screws and better glue.

Good luck with what ever you decide...
GBFANKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Better gas coach than what is now offered.

The Sunova/Sightseer is a better quality built coach than the new Adventurer, get one while you can. (MSRP was over $200K!) All the hatch doors, panels are better and less prone for delamination than the new style that is more like a Vista LX. Same chassis from Ford on a 22K. Something like it is no longer available even though the floor plans are the same, Sunova/Sightseer is a better build. The peninsula roller is a good idea. I had that added to ours. Ours has been a good coach, we replaced the Norcold (it failed) with a GE French Door refrigerator, we use it in the winters on our RV lot in Florida so we're in it for 4 months at a time. Good luck with your search.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:08 PM   #11
'08 Itasca Ellipse 40WD.

Note to islandnomad: we Had a 33C and loved it, however it was a 2007 model and had HWH slides and hydraulic jacks. If you have those Lippert/ Power Glide slides, good luck. They are the biggest mistake Winnebago ever made by switching from HWH. If you ever skip a tooth on the mechanism you are instantly in trouble. Take them all the way out or all the way in, never half way in/out as it messes up the mechanism. We have several Winebago club members that can attest to this advice.
rkennedy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 05:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkennedy1966 View Post
Note to islandnomad: we Had a 33C and loved it, however it was a 2007 model and had HWH slides and hydraulic jacks. If you have those Lippert/ Power Glide slides, good luck. They are the biggest mistake Winnebago ever made by switching from HWH. If you ever skip a tooth on the mechanism you are instantly in trouble. Take them all the way out or all the way in, never half way in/out as it messes up the mechanism. We have several Winebago club members that can attest to this advice.
This is why they switched to the "Power Gear Slim Rack" slide system in 2016, and they still use it now, that Schwintek system was prone for failure. The power gear is yet not proven, but seems better, at least so far.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerman View Post
I would look at newmar. Quality is better and dealers service is better. We have owned both
According to this post, Winnebago will soon own Newmar:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ml#post3846792
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

My 2017 31D has the power gear slim rack system. I use the unit about 3 months per year and am in the 3rd year of ownership. No problems associated with this newer system. I like the low profile on the outside of the slides, no big spaces for critters to get in etc. I did have a seal (that Forest City fixed) what was cut wrong and got snagged on the gear mechanism. Winnebago identified the error and fixed at no charge. No other problems or issues. For any slide trouble, I would get my slide moved inside and not use the slide until I could get it to Forest City for service.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:21 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Talking

Thanks very much to all the good people who contributed to this thread!

Armed with your suggestions, we made a second visit and made sure we were satisfied with what we were going to get. We made an offer, it was accepted, and as of two days ago, we are the proud owners of a 2018 Sightseer 33C.

Here it is in our driveway. I have a 30 amp hookup on the side of my house, and to my pleasant surprise, was able to run both ACs simultaneously, drawing about 24 amps! A welcome surprise in the Texas heat.

Now to consider furnishing the motor home and upgrading it where necessary.

A question about the "additional slide rollers added under galley peninsula." - what are these? Do you have a link?
Old 09-28-2019, 11:54 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Re: additional slide rollers are added under galley peninsula - do you have a link? I am trying to understand this.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:50 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Link is strange and doesn’t work ��
Old 09-29-2019, 08:53 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I'm trying now-maybe I can PM you or something.

Tags
sightseer, winnebago