Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Compartment door gas spring repair

The ball-stud attachment point for one of my compartment door gas-springs has broken off. These doors swing open to the side. It appears that the gas-spring might be able to be detached from the attachment point, but I cannot figure out how to do it. Can the gas-spring be detached from the brackets or does the gas-spring come as an assembly with the brackets?
Old 12-27-2015, 09:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Algonquin, yes the gas-spring can be removed from the bracket. Here is a link to a youtube video, at about half way through they show how to pop off the bracket.

grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The spring can be detached from the bracket. Look at one end of the spring at the end of the cap. You should see some little slots there. Use a screwdriver in the slots to wedge the end cap out all the way. hen you have removed the cap, the spring can be removed from the bracket.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My gas-spring does not have an integrated socket as shown in the video. The socket appears to be an insert in the end of the gas-spring. Do I pry out the insert or do I pop the ball out of the socket as shown in the video? My MH is at a storage facility, so I can't work on it right now. Thanks
Old 12-28-2015, 06:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Go Here I'm sure they have what you need, also feel free to call them as they are very helpful.
>>>Mounting Hardware
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:57 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I use a large screwdriver and do a quick pry between the ball and socket and POP them off.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:26 AM   #7
JBP
Winnie-Wise

You can also contact Winne with you VIN and they will send you instruction on your spring. Just got through replacing one of mine. Info from company was excellent.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Just an FYI; Aftermarket gas springs and hardware are about 1/2 the cost of OEM springs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
The ball-stud attachment point for one of my compartment door gas-springs has broken off. These doors swing open to the side. It appears that the gas-spring might be able to be detached from the attachment point, but I cannot figure out how to do it. Can the gas-spring be detached from the brackets or does the gas-spring come as an assembly with the brackets?

Sadly the answer to your question is "YES" Generall one end is detachable, the other is not, though there are 3 possible setups

Detachable/Detachable
Detachable/not
not/not

And they make all 3 types.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Mine on my Journey are detachable on both ends. You can buy the 90 degree bracket for the compartments from Camping World.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
Simple answer: Use a thin flat blade screwdriver. Slip it into the slot under the metal clip and pry the clip up evenly on both sides. The broken ball should drop out. I think and automotive store will have a replacement for you.

Rick Y
Old 01-20-2016, 08:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the advice. I have finally gotten around to repairing some of my compartment door struts. Prying the clip off the socket end is the correct method for disconnecting Winnie OEMs. Replacement gas-springs appear to be available at most RV accessory stores.

A word of advice -- try to keep the ball and socket joint lubricated. Water will collect in the horizontally mounted sockets and cause rust in the joint. The ball on one of my brackets twisted off because it was rusted solid in the socket after a couple of months of the compartment not being opened. I could not pry the ball out and rather than buy a new strut, I drilled a hole in the bottom of socket and punched the ball out. The next fun part is drilling out the screws that attach the ball bracket to the MH because they are rusted in solid. These ball brackets are also readily available at RV stores.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

The brackets on my doors are held on by pop rivets.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

There is more to these things that I have seen mentioned here. Getting the device off and back on is pretty much covered. But I don't see anyone mentioning the factor of device strength. I have been trying to find the correct pressure for my bay door units. I bought one of the correct length from a auto parts store. The force it exerts on my door is too great. I need tubes with less force. Force pounds is a major consideration. Holding up a hood or tail door takes a bunch more strength than swinging open a bay door.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Rick
Got an RV Designer "Selecting
A Replacement Gas Prop" guide at CW. For Compartment doors they suggest 10# for doors less than 24" wide and 20# if wider. For vertical lift doors, they have a table. The correct pressure is a function of the width, height and number of props - 1 or 2. The guide is free and was sitting below their gas props.
They also point out the pressure is on the label on the strut and is either the last or second last number Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:24 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
The brackets on my doors are held on by pop rivets.
Yes, the brackets on my unit are also held on by pop rivets on the door, but the broken ball bracket I had was on the MH frame and held on by three screws. The RV store replacement brackets have only two holes, so I drilled a third hole in the bracket for extra holding strength.

I had to drill the heads off the rusted screws, and rather than try drill out and re-use the old holes, I drilled three new holes in the frame a fraction of an inch away from the old holes. The door won't open quite as far as before, but that's not a problem. The other reason for drilling new holes is that the replacement bracket holes don't line up vertically perfectly with the existing holes. The bracket won't fit tight up against the bottom of the frame if the existing frame holes are used.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:27 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I need maybe 6/8 gas springs, on my coach (winnie) is there a number
or sum such that I can get a direct replacment?.............coop
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopcolt View Post
I need maybe 6/8 gas springs, on my coach (winnie) is there a number
or sum such that I can get a direct replacment?.............coop
My Itasca uses a standard length (about 15") gas spring that is available in RV stores. Buy the 20 pound spring for side opening doors. The replacement springs look less robust than the OEMs because they have a smaller diameter rod and cylinder, but are working fine so far. The ball and socket diameter size is the same on OEMs and replacements.

Tags
door, gas, repair