Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Has anyone ever had any minor body repairs and painting done while at FC for other maintenance work? Do they repair any dents or crunches on the coach or is all their work just to completely replace any damaged parts.? Will CDI do any repairs while they are repainting the roof and front cap where the clear coat has started pealing? I know I could find answers to these questions with a couple phone calls but personal experiences on this forum get a better type of answer instead of a certain amount of double talk.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Has anyone ever had any minor body repairs and painting done while at FC for other maintenance work? Do they repair any dents or crunches on the coach or is all their work just to completely replace any damaged parts.? Will CDI do any repairs while they are repainting the roof and front cap where the clear coat has started pealing? I know I could find answers to these questions with a couple phone calls but personal experiences on this forum get a better type of answer instead of a certain amount of double talk.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 10-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I had the back corner molding I guess, that connects the back to the side from top to bottom, replaced 4-5 years ago at the factory. It had to be painted.

The left side is in better shape than the one that is a number of years newer. It has rusted really bad. Almost all of the screws have bad rust around them.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

They will do some painting and refinishing. I scratched up the clearcoat (all over the coach) while I was in Alaska and washed the coach (due to the amount of dirt and my bad technique.)

I was originally going to have CDI quote spraying new clearcoat but my Winnie service adviser said they might be able to buff the scratches out. They tried a small area and sure enough, the scratches could be eliminated. So Winnie wound up buffing the entire finish which had to be magnitudes less expensive than a new clearcoat.

They also refinished a basement door that CDI apparently messed up with the original finish. It was obvious that CDI tried to respray part of the door, and probably due to improper prep, the top coat of paint didn't stick properly to the original coat of paint.

Winnie seemed very eager to grab any repair business they were capable of performing. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they would do body repairs vs replacement.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

CDI has offered to repair (repaint) my coach where the clear coat is pealing if I will bring it to them. I'm beginning to wonder just how good a job they really do with so many cases of pealing clearcoat and now the botched basement door repaired by Winny. I would consider having a local shop do it but so many places where different colors come together are curved. I'm wondering if CDI has some kind of pattern where this occurs making it easier to repaint.
Wagonmaster2
Old 10-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Especially since CDI said they could repaint the roof over the windshield and the shoulders on both sides of the roof in 4-5 hours. I didn't think they could do it in less than a couple days.
Wagonmaster2
Old 10-24-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

cdi does great work. They are fast because they are set up right...I was very happy when i left.
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote