Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2019, 05:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Class A or Class C query

DW and I have been 5th wheel campers for the last 10 years.

Enjoyed the experience but time has come to go smaller and simpler in our old age.

We need help determining which class rv we should focus on buying.
We realize that much of our decision will simply be our personal preferences, but to hear from folks with real life experiences will be most helpful to us.

Thanks very much!

Currently,

We are looking at the used Winnebago Vista series....26' - 28'
for class A choice

And the used Winnebago Aspect/Cambria....same approx length
for our class C choice

We would appreciate any feedback from folks that have had experience with

both class A and class C rvs.

Appreciate your time!
Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome, We have a class A and enjoy the room it gives us. Have never owned a class C but know people who do and they like them. I believe that being the same length it will be a matter of Living space and layout that you like best. Both are good units but depends on what your needs are. Good luck on finding your dream RV.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My hubby and I too had a fifth wheel for about the same length of time. It was 42' and heavy. We had 2 pull behind trailers prior. The 5th wheel was just getting to be too much stress as we got older. We purchased a 2016 Aspect 30J three years ago and have been so happy with it. Yes, totally different space, but, for me, being able to move around, clean, fix a snack, etc. while driving makes a world of difference. We thought about a class A but decided the C suited our needs better. We tow a 20' trailer with toys so the size of the Aspect is perfect. Do I miss the room? Sometimes, but rarely. We did a 10K trip last summer and were fine. The only thing I wish for is a washer and dryer but...As you know, Aspect no longer being built. Too bad. The quantity of ours is excellent. A few repairs but ones we usually do ourselves. Good luck! Happy to answer any specific questions about the Aspect!
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Class A higher and better driving visibility than a C.

One thing about A vs: C that I rarely see mentioned...

You said: "same approx length
for our class C choice"

For the same length C, you lose several feet of living space compared to a A, because of the cab and engine hood.

And, a comparable A probably has more storage volume than a C.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Since you're coming from a 5th wheel, I'd think the size trade-offs would be pretty obvious to you between the different options and lengths. Even with a class A, you're losing length due to the cockpit as compared to a 5th wheel.

Assuming you're going to be towing a "toad", keep in mind that the motorhome's towing capacity can also vary significantly between a Class A and Class C. Class Cs can vary between themselves as well, based on engine size.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have had the B C and are currently in the 29 VE A class. Really like the A class convenience when camping.but when on the road I would prefer the smaller rig.. as you know all rving leads to making compromises ..All i can say is if the choice is the Ford V10 package. try to get the later 2017 on I think..this has a better transmission and the motor has been reworked for a bit more torque..it really does make travelling easier... The B and C class are lacking in storage and ours had to have the bed made up each night..We traded a 26HE A class for the 29VE.and we much prefer the little bit of extra bells (outside kitchen) and 3 tvs the longer unit affords us...good luck !
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Although a Class A most certainly has a large range of amenities not available on a Class C, one of our considerations in choosing a Class C was safety.

Since a Class C is mounted on a chassis built by a vehicle manufacturer, that chassis has been built to safety standards required by the government, including crash testing. For instance, air bags are standard on a C but not on an A, and a C has at least a degree of front end crashworthiness.

Not trying to imply a Class A is unsafe, just trying to add a little more food for thought.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Two years ago we decided to down size from a very nice 36' 5th wheel to a class A. We did not go the C route for a couple reasons, hard for passenger to get up and move around, and the passenger seating was not comfortable. So we went to a 30' MH. For us that seemed to be the correct fit, after two years we found it not comfortable. This year we upsized to a 36' MH and much happier. I guess what I am saying is do not down size to much, really look at the seating cause its way different than the 5er.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2018 Cambria 30j with three slides. Prior to. Cambria, we had an Aspect...basically same thing. We went for the Class C for several reasons...1) easy to drive and has great engine and transmission. Yes it can get loud in mountain areas but we are used to it and the new transmission downshifts for you so you’re not braking all the way down. 2) never have to worry about height restrictions 3) the layout is perfect for us..a lot of room with opposing slides in living area 4) if we have problems with Ford part of rig, we just pull into a Ford dealer and also get it serviced there.
The kitchen could be configured differently, but we had an Airstream for years and learned to cook with limited space...we haven’t gone hungry yet.
5) my husband and I take turns driving and both find this rig easy to drive.
6) the stairs are low which was important to us for our elder pup...ok.. it was important for us too. We recently went into a large 5th wheel and it was 6 steps up..yikes!
We thought we liked the idea of a Class A, I just couldn’t get comfortable with the windshield basically in my lap.
Find a dealer that will let you test drive both Class A and C. That may sway your wants and needs...and likes.
Let us know what you decide...
Old 10-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We have an Aspect 27k (2015), 29.5 ft long. There are several advantages to a Class C over A. As already mentioned, airbags and chassis advantages. Also, there are 3 escape doors, not insignificant if or when needed. In the case of same size motorhomes, the Class C will handle better. Hitch can pull 5,000 toad. Our Aspect handles extremely well. BTW. It's currently for sale due to leaving the RV life..
lnkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

After finding a 19 foot Gulfstream too small, we looked at all options. I am 6'1" and found the Class C driver's position too cramped, with the dog house being right at your right elbow. The Class A offers more room and greater visibility; being up high. Make sure you test drive, and see if you can have a conversation while driving.
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:46 PM   #12
Itasca owner

I've had 2-C's, 3-A's....I like the A's better because of the room inside, I don't need a bed up above, more storage space, don't have to worry about weight at all. All C class are limited to about 15,000# weight while my A has 22,500 and I have about 1000# to spare right now. My C was always overloaded and I didn't have much stuff, plus you can't drive with a full water tank and much in the waste tank without being overloaded.

Lots of different opinions, this is only mine-you'll have to test both to see what you like.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Class A or C

Unless you are going to use the sleeping area above the drivers and passengers seat,it is wasted space because it makes it harder to use the those seats once you turn them around. You will be ducking or hit your head. A 29 to 30 Class A would be the way to go.
mazda2924x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:19 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

My partner and I bought a used Four Winds 22ft C to see how we liked motorhoming.. After a year we decided we wanted something with a bed on the main floor. Went looking at C's that fit the bill and found a closeout Winnebago 26he for the same money we would spend for a C with the layout we wanted. Bought it on the spot and never looked back. Higher driving position, much more underneath storage, larger fuel and holding tank capacities and a bed on the floor. Wish it had a couch but unless you have unlimited funds everything is a compromise! We love our Class A!
Dentkimterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:47 PM   #15
Proud “No Intent” Owner

We’ve rented class C’s several times over the years, but once we finally rented a class A is was converted. So when we purchased our first RV this year, it was an A.
Main reason, was the front windshield is amazing-like driving while looking through a giant 4K tv screen. And the view, being up higher is a real treat, not only for visibility of the scenery, but also the other traffic around you. Driving the class C was like driving my Bronco. Same average visibility. Since a lot of RVing is driving, I wanted a better experience.
The overhead bunk- because there are two of us we have limited use for it. In our class A, it can be folded up out of the way, and deployed only when needed.
And as mentioned above, I measured that it would take a 30’ class C to equal the space we get in our 26.7 foot class A, due to the hood area of a C sticking out ~3’ farther forward. We opted for the Winnebago Intent 26M, that has everything we needed, and wanted. Hope that helps.
Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:51 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We have a Class C 2018 Navion 24D (same as the View). We normally get 14 MPG, have plenty of room while driving, plenty of storage space, plus sleeping & living space are great with the Murphy bed. Easy to park and drive at 26 feet long. It was our choice after 2 years of research and testing. If you are thinking of a bigger class A going to have a lot more storage and living area- but at the cost of miles per gallon and more challenges when parking (and likely more height restrictions).
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:05 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

A vs C

Yes A is higher as is the CG etc. Generally driving a C is more comfortable as you are in a nicely insulated and sound proofed cab, with a automotive grade interior with a air bag etc. Whereas in the big A room you are at the mercy of the steering wheel right at your ribs and so on. Repairs on the C are like repairing a van, same for oil changes etc. Many garages will do it, with a jack in the lot etc For an A you have to go to a RV place or a truck garage, for repairs and service (GENERALLY... exceptions prove the rule). Yes I had a friendly mechanic at a local walmart who would do the oil changes on our A but once the manager came along and after that it ended.

Having owned an A and a C, personally I prefer the C for its drive line simplicity and standardization or shall I say so many more out there in the form of vans, box trucks and class Bs and class Cs. Just be careful if you are looking at too long a contraption as the assemblers may not have taken all aspects into consideration. We have now moved down to a B and a permanent home 20.

The B is a huge down sizing experience, we did it once before when we were not ready for it, but the second time around is the charm. Automotive safety, driving is easy, parking is easy and number of camping spots is inversely related to length more or less so that helps as well. In a pinch we can even go to a tent spot and camp where the car is parked! specially if we get the electric tent site.

So the skinny is if you can "right size" down to smaller C or B+ or B yes its a great thing in my book. BTW the first B was not kept because it had a head room issue as it was a standard US van, the current B is high roof line based to thats not a concern and feels more open and less closed in.

The gKids and old Kids alike like the cabover bed to hang out in bigly.

All the best.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:53 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

And to complicate things, now there are the Super Class B motorhomes.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:27 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone!
A lot of folks are confirming what our research has already discovered.

We're leaving soon on a 5 month camping trip with our 5th wheel.

We'll have time to further research and ponder the options and be ready to sell our rig and buy next spring.

We appreciate your input.
Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:14 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

We rented class Cs for a couple of years before deciding that we wanted to own one. We didn't like having to take a day to move in and another day to move out when renting. Plus the quality in the rental fleet just wasn't there.

We then bought a 1998 32' Minnie Winnie that had been so well cared for that it looked and drove like new. We used that for three years before deciding to move to a class A.

We now own a 2007 Winnebago Voyage, also 32', and are extremely happy we did so. They are the same length but because the seats turn around in the class A it makes for a significantly larger living area. The illusion is also helped by the higher ceiling in the class A. The class C 'tin canned' down the road a lot more than the class A does. You sit higher in the class A, you look at semi drivers eye to eye. There is much more storage in the class A. While the Class C had a basement the compartments were much smaller.

We get about 1 MPG less in the class A but are willing to pay that price for the much better unit.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, class c