Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2016, 06:30 AM   #1
JBP
Winnie-Wise

CDL Requirements(commercial drivers licence)

This subject seems to come up regularly. I found a web site that address this subject by state and federal government.
RV Driver's License Requirements

It seems like the magic number is GVWR 26001 lb. It is more complex than just that. See what you think of the web site.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Here is a similar website with more details State Listing of Drivers Licenses for RVs
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have been told by law enforcement that as long as your coach is used for private non-commercial purposes no CDL is required no matter the size or the weight.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

26001 is the magic number, however if it is used for personal use no CDL is required. Some states are now mandating a NON-CDL class B which is the same test as a CDL but different license, and a little easier to obtain.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #5
JBP
Winnie-Wise

That is also what the Texas Licence told me when I called.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

RV weighing over 26,001# for Texas residents requires a non CDL class B endorsement. I was of the thinking as others above. My RV is for personal use therefore I do not need special license. Boy was I wrong. I did not receive a ticket from the DPS officer. I think because I was cordial and honest with him. He did make me park it till I could find a qualified person to drive my RV home. Luckily I was only 90 miles from my home. Needless to say I have my non CDL class B endorsement. Easy written and driving test. Safe travels.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via MSN to Saber77
Nevada requires a Class-B license for RVs over 26,000 lbs. Requires a written test (including an air brake test) and a driving test, which is somewhat challenging, especially backing up and parking between cones. Oh, you can't use your rear view or side view cameras, mirrors only.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Good write up on here about this subject if anyone is looking for something to read.
Pennsylvania DOT Requirements For Non-Commercial Class "B" Driver's License For Motorhomes Over 26,000 pounds - Page 4 - Laws and legislative action - FMCA Motorhome Forums
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Just found this information today and thanks for bringing it up. It appears to be a new law and while annoying I think it's a good idea. What are the steps moechester here in Texas? We want to get started on the process right away.
thanks again!
tb919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:16 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I have a C class so it's a non issue for me. A friend of mine has a class A and needed to get a special endorsement here in NY. He also had to take a driving test with his RV. The tester wasn't sure how to do the test for just the RV endorsement so he had to complete the CDL test. More testing on the air brakes I think was the main thing.

He asked me to get the "learning permit" so I could drive on a trip. When I went to the local Dept. of Motor Vehicle they didn't even know what I was talking about - they had to make some calls to the main office! Yes there is such a thing and they made me a paper handwritten permit with official stamp.

Not sure if even the police know the regs.....
Old 09-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBobbo View Post
Not sure if even the police know the regs.....
Yes and that shows often when people on the Forum said they called and where told they did or didn't need an exempt-CDL license.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

The issue is like driving overweight.....as long as you don't have a wreck, you will probably never have an issue. As litigious as our society has become, I want to believe I am legal. In spite of what a friend who is an Illinois State Trooper told me, there is a special license for someone who drives RVs over a certain weight in Illinois. I think it's 15,000 total but it's been long enough ago that I'm not certain on the exact reg.

The license required me to take a quick written test, and actually drive the coach around a few bocks. I think it cost me $5.00 and I'm legal. If I end up having an accident, which hasn't happened in 35 years, I know I've done what I could to keep me legal. Just my humble opinion
crh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

So evidently it isn't anything "new" just not discussed when purchasing a big rig. Disappointing that's for sure cause if you like it enough to spend that kind of money then you will do what's needed. In Texas we do need a different license than just a Class C ( for automobiles) but not a CDL. As previously stated it's a non CDL Class B or A depending on the weight you are driving. Looks like a CDL is much more expensive too. So my husband went to the DMV and got some info and is now studying the manual. So many people have mentioned chapter 14 but they told him the first three chapters. Oh for heaven's sake. We'll study all of it and he'll go take the test and then the driving test. I'll get a "learners permit" just so I can practice more and also be eligible in case he needs me to drive on an upcoming long trip. It's not the end of the world or anything like that but I am extremely annoyed at the dealership who didn't bother mentioning this beforehand. I would have been livid had we been stopped and unable to continue a trip away or back to our home.
Just so it's clear-you DO need a different license from the one you have to drive your car here in Texas if your moho is over 26,000 GVWR.
Thanks as always to everyone on the forum who provide such great info.
TB
tb919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

This has been discussed for a LONG time on here and other forums - it really doens't matter what other states laws are, it's only your home state that counts.
And yes, in Texas it took 30 minutes for me to convince an examiner @ the Fort Worth mega-center what type of test I had to take !

easy test, but since it is archaic and ask things like how many reflectors a farm trailer needs, etc... you should study

Then I was given an email address to send to a temporary location on I-35W in Fort Worth to schedule an appointment to drive...
I drove there, the examiner made me go thru the air brake test and failed me... I argued that I didn't have to do it, but had it on my phne to go through it and he said you can't use props !!!

Once again - gooberment didn't know their own rules...

as I'm pulling out a supervisor comes out and yells for me to stop, proceeded to chastize the examiner for failing me and let me take the driving test...

Once again he dinged me for lack of control - got the super involved and explained that I had to gointo the other lanes becuse the tester took me down small 2 lane streets with tress at about 10' high hanging into the road...

She overrode the tester and gave me my class B non cdl...

But, yes, they can certainly stop isis refugees and
Old 09-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

JBP - According to THP it is just that simple. You should be good in Texas with a valid Class C as long as you don't exceed 26,000LBS.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #16
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Peggwn that is my take also. I have a class C now so well below the 26001. The Ford E450 is 14,500.

Tags
driver