Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2006, 02:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I recently completed the install of an Olympian Wave 8 catylitic heater.

The heater was mounted below the left side window directly across from the bathroom.

I tee'd into the propane line that supplies propane to the refridgerator on the left side of the coach. I plumbed a flexible line into the water managment area with a shutoff valve that is easy to get to.

One hole was drilled thru the floor to get the flexible line to the heater, and then sealed the hole.

The bathroom gets toasty and then the heat radiates front and back. None of the walls or moldings seem to get excessively hot.

Here are some pictures.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I recently completed the install of an Olympian Wave 8 catylitic heater.

The heater was mounted below the left side window directly across from the bathroom.

I tee'd into the propane line that supplies propane to the refridgerator on the left side of the coach. I plumbed a flexible line into the water managment area with a shutoff valve that is easy to get to.

One hole was drilled thru the floor to get the flexible line to the heater, and then sealed the hole.

The bathroom gets toasty and then the heat radiates front and back. None of the walls or moldings seem to get excessively hot.

Here are some pictures.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 10-03-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

ttt

Our Webpage
Old 10-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Nice install Jim. Does the unit have a low oxygen shutoff?
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:33 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Nice Install

The catylitic heater should do a good job of providing heat when power isn't available. I wonder if the catylitic heaters give off as much water vapor though as the unvented gas heaters. Condensation might be something that requires some attention...perhaps keeping a roof vent slightly open?
Old 10-06-2006, 03:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have had the catylitic gas heater in another coach I owned. While they are just super for heat, they do give off a lot of water vapor. They are worth the vapor problem IMHO. I used 12V fans as much as possible, which seemed to help, along with two vents cracked open.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Here are the specs as provided by the mfg. Wave 8

I have used these heaters for 3 years or so.

They do produce some moisture similar (or maybe a bit more) to any propane system.

We have always kept an upper vent or side window open to vent moisture and also to keep some airflow.

I did a little test the other day and closed all the roof vents and had a side window open a tad in the bedroom. With the heater on low I woke up and had moisture on the windshield. Outside temps between 42 and 53 degrees F.

The following nite we had similar outside conditions , I opend the kitchen roof vent a tad as well as the bedroom window. In the morning there was no condensation on the windshield.

We enjoy the lack of noise that the heater offers, but realize that there must be some be some venting to prevent moisture buildup.

There is no perfect system but the cat heater helps us when boondocking by using no electricity and being quiet.

By using common sense a catylitic heater can be an important piece of equipment for people not wanting to use a forced air heater all the time.

Jim

Our Webpage