Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-25-2017, 08:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Carry extra Gas?

As I said before being new to motorhoming I have a lot of questions. Another is carrying extra fuel. At 5 to 6 mpg, one eye is on the road and the other looking not only for a fuel station but one I can get into. Question is, is it advisable to carry extra fuel in the tow car. I hope so. Thanks, Chuck:
Chucksterfxw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If your gas leaked inside the toad and then was sparked by an accident, you'd have a very large IED (improvised explosive device)

NYS has laws against such conduct.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

If I'm in an area I'm not familiar with I start looking for fuel at 1/2 tank. For me , that means I have about 35 gallons left .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Nope! An I have never run out of gas! I most always stop for fuel at around 1/2 tank & it's also time to pee (LOL)!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucksterfxw View Post
As I said before being new to motorhoming I have a lot of questions. Another is carrying extra fuel. At 5 to 6 mpg, one eye is on the road and the other looking not only for a fuel station but one I can get into. Question is, is it advisable to carry extra fuel in the tow car. I hope so. Thanks, Chuck:
If towing a car, why do you need the extra fuel? Take the car and retrieve if you run out. Or just stop and stretch and fuel at 1/2 tank? Believe me, the older you get, you will relish these breaks. Driving a big rig is more stress and responsibility than a small car.
Crazeee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

No, don't carry extra fuel. I've travel Yukon, Alaska and other remote areas of Canada and USA and I never ran out of fuel or gas.

When you are in remote areas fill your tank or start looking for gas station when your tank reach 1/2.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Keeping jerry cans of gasoline in or on a vehicle is always a safety risk. If you really don't absolutely need to carry the extra fuel, don't do it. If staying on roads and highways in developed countries you don't need to do it, so don't.
YooperVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I believe your RV holds 75 gallons of gas. Even at 7 mpg a tank should get you over 500 miles. I'm guessing long before that time you'll be ready to stop for a break.

We've put over 150,000 miles on our motorhomes. They have been to Alaska a couple times, Newfoundland and the maritime provinces, and through all the lower 48 states. We never carry extra gas and have never even been close to running out.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Well i guess i disagree with the other posters. I carry a 5 gallon an for my Honda generator in our Jeep. It has a specific mount. Additionally when heading to the race tracks i normally have 2 - 2 1/2 gallon cans for gennie fuel in a basement. As long as the cans are secure there should be no issues.

YMMV

With that said when i get to 1/2 tank i look for fuel stops. Normally need a restroom by then anyway.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

My motorhome has about a 585 mile range on a tank of gas. I start looking for a place to fill when I'm down about 1/2, so that leaves me with nearly 300 miles to find a gas station.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I agree with most that carrying gasoline in a enclosed automobile is extremely dangerous. Most RV's on Ford Chassis carry 70-80 gallons of gas which is good for between 400 and 500 miles. It's all about planning - I know in the morning where I am going, what routes I will be taking, where the gas stops (mostly Flying J's with RV lanes) are, and the locations of highway rest stops. Never came close to running out of gas nor do I know anyone who has. Even though it is unnecessary it might be a different story if your toad was a pickup and you had safety gas cans strapped down in the bed of the pickup but in a car that the temperatures inside are hot enough inside to cook eggs and then storing extremely flammable gasoline inside - Not good.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I carry a portable gas Genny and five gallons of fuel for it and other needs should they arrive. Also carry five gallons of diesel fuel.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Reply for carrying extra gas question.

Thanks for all replies on carrying extra gas. The 1/2 tank rule is a good idea. My unit is only 30' but with towed vehicle probably 50'. A lot of stations along interstates you barely get your car in. I have the good Sam travel guide and as suggested , "do a lot of planning". Thanks again, Chuck:
Chucksterfxw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:01 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for all replies on carrying extra gas. The 1/2 tank rule is a good idea. My unit is only 30' but with towed vehicle probably 50'. A lot of stations along interstates you barely get your car in. I have the good Sam travel guide and as suggested , "do a lot of planning". Thanks again, Chuck:
Gas stations/truck stops are not that difficult to find along the interstates. Our motorhome and towed vehicle have a total length of slightly over 52'. There has never been an occasion where we couldn't get gas due to the size of the combination. Keep in mind we've been doing it for almost 20 years and covered over 150,000 miles.

Most current day GPS systems will find gas stations in the area, or along your route.

On another note, if you use your generator you need to keep the motorhome fuel tank above the 1/4 full mark. The pickup tube foe the generator doesn't extend all the way to the bottom of the tank. This prevents you from running out of fuel when using the generator.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

we're heading thru Alberta, BritishColumbia, and thru the Yukon on the way into Alaska - I will be carrying a couple of diesel 5gal containers as a backup(mainly since the generator does not crank when the coach fuel tank is at or below 1/4 tank), just in case... though, these containers will be outside on our rear hitch Carrier, and also within their own covered containers.
I don't necessarily look forward to needing them, but in some of the northern routes we may be over 100mi from a fuel station, and drycamping quite a bit.

This may wind up being more for our 'conscience' than anything, but since I have the room, it doesn't hurt...
49 US States(including ALASKA) & 10 Canadian Provinces
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Our RVs have all had a 500+ mile range and we've been all over the US, including AK, without fuel problems, well there was one time my wife occasionally refers to when I looked for a lower price longer than I should have. :-0 Just plan ahead.

For the last 15 or so years I have carried a couple of 5 gallon plastic jugs of gasoline inside our Samurai/Tracker while towing it for the 160 miles to our hunting camp. I would be the first to agree that it is not only dangerous, it also stinks. I leave the windows down a little for venting and always put the jugs in a plastic tub in case they leak, but there is always a strong gasoline smell in the vehicle that lingers for a while even after they are removed.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:59 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I use Allstays Truck & Travel app.

It is an app that allows you to find MH friendly fueling options.

Many filter options so you can locate exactly what you need.

I also use the 1/2 tank rule.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

We have traveled extensively through the lower 48 and Alaska and have never carried extra fuel and never run out. We use the 1/2 tank rule and have never had a problem finding fuel.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:36 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

You can always disconnect your toad in a pinch to get into just about any gas station with overhead room.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:14 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I too have the 'half tank rule'.
I figure if I can't find a station somewhere along the route in the bottom half of my 80 gallon gas tank, another 5 gallons isn't going to make a difference.

Tags
gas