Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-01-2007, 05:42 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Great job, Shannone! I'm glad that you had it when you needed it. Looks nice! You'll love being able to eat out there next summer without all the bugs buggin' you!
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We liked it. It took us almost an hour to put it up the first time The screen door is pretty time consuming. I think the next time it will be faster. We had a couple of issues....the skirting under the motorhome doesn't really connect with the two end panels. There is some velcro there but it didn't seem to stick well. Not sure how else to make that tighter, other than putting snaps on the compartment doors which we don't want to do.

The only other issue was that the last morning it was up it was really windy. The screen door kept swinging open on it's own. We had the sides staked down and the door too. Have you had that happen to you ??

Overall, I think I was much more excited about the room than my hubby, lol. He wonders if it is worth the work. I can see us using it for long weekends and our weeks in the summer. We may just use the zippered door instead of the screen door for shorter trips.

I think if it was just the two of us, we wouldn't bother. There is plenty of room in a motorhome for 2 of us in bad weather. But for a family...I think it makes so much sense. We made great use of that extra space last weekend. </span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I noticed in your pictures that both the hot water heater and the furnace vent into the room. I'd make sure that there is plenty of air exchange in that room or you could have some carbon monoxide build up.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

We have an add a room on our 2004 Sightseer 35N.
What we did for the skirting , was to secure a length of awning rail to the bottom of the coach. Right at the bottom of the compartment doors. Then sew a hem into the skirting fabric just big enough so that when you put something in the hem for a spline it will secure the skirting but not be too tight so that it would be hard to slide in. That secures the skirting good & you have full access to the compartments that are not blocked by an end wall, & you don't driil any holes in the sidewall.
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I noticed in your pictures that both the hot water heater and the furnace vent into the room. I'd make sure that there is plenty of air exchange in that room or you could have some carbon monoxide build up.
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Thanks...we are very careful with it. We don't dry camp, so the hot water heater is always on electric when we are set up. And when we do camp with the furnace on, we will make sure 1 or 2 of the screen sides are always rolled up. </span>

Old 11-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
What we did for the skirting , was to secure a length of awning rail to the bottom of the coach. Right at the bottom of the compartment doors. Then sew a hem into the skirting fabric just big enough so that when you put something in the hem for a spline it will secure the skirting but not be too tight so that it would be hard to slide in. That secures the skirting good & you have full access to the compartments that are not blocked by an end wall, & you don't driil any holes in the sidewall.
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">That's a good idea. Our dealer installed a few clips to the underside of the compartments so we don't have any clips showing. It is nice and snug to the motorhome and we can fully open the compartments. </span>

Old 11-01-2007, 04:26 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

I wish there was a place where you can rent one as needed. Once a year my wife and I take the grandkids on a road trip. 2 boys and 1 girl, ages 12, 10 and 9. Add 2 dogs to the mix and you guy's know what I'm talking about. Our limit is 2 weeks. We tried 3 weeks once but will never do it again.

Anyway great job.
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:03 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by Doula:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lil'Darlin1972:
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We liked it. It took us almost an hour to put it up the first time The screen door is pretty time consuming. I think the next time it will be faster. We had a couple of issues....the skirting under the motorhome doesn't really connect with the two end panels. There is some velcro there but it didn't seem to stick well. Not sure how else to make that tighter, other than putting snaps on the compartment doors which we don't want to do.

The only other issue was that the last morning it was up it was really windy. The screen door kept swinging open on it's own. We had the sides staked down and the door too. Have you had that happen to you ??

Overall, I think I was much more excited about the room than my hubby, lol. He wonders if it is worth the work. I can see us using it for long weekends and our weeks in the summer. We may just use the zippered door instead of the screen door for shorter trips.

I think if it was just the two of us, we wouldn't bother. There is plenty of room in a motorhome for 2 of us in bad weather. But for a family...I think it makes so much sense. We made great use of that extra space last weekend. </span>
Shannone, I don't think it took us quite an hour (but we're already pretty experienced with these), but it WILL get quicker to set up. You do need to do it a few times over a few weeks time before you get the hang of it, in my experience. That first time is like, "...and why did I buy this?" lol I think our first time putting it up probably took us about 45 minutes! The last time, we did it in about 20 minutes, and now that we fully know what to do and how, I hope to make it even shorter in time.

For the skirting and end panels: We bought those small, metal clips that one would use for a pile of office papers (kind of reminds me of little, metal potato chip bag clips). We clip the end panels to the skirting to get rid of gaps. My husband also uses a bungy cord to secure the side wall to the bottom of the awning rail and coach. If you look closely at the photo I posted on Page 1, you can see a bungy going up into the rear wheel well from the back side of the room. (I can see he did it in my head as clear as day, but it's hard for me to describe. If it's totally confusing, let me know and I'll give it another try!) It's just something dh brainstormed about when we saw there was the need.

I'm sorry that I can't give advice on the door swinging open yet. We haven't had much wind as of yet while the door's been up, so that's something that we've yet to experience. I do know that sometimes you can move the door inward or outward a little to make it latch better. If that didn't work, then I would find a way to bungy the door handle to something temporarily until the wind is no longer a problem. As they say, "Necessity is the mother of invention." We've never staked our room, but that's because we always set things around the perimeter of the room that hold it down anyway (cases of pop, water jugs, coolers, chairs, table, fan in the summer, baskets of hunting clothes in the fall, etc.). We haven't needed to stake the door down yet, either. We do have a long tube that can be filled with HEAVY water that is for anchoring it down (bought it with our old Add-a-Room), but we've only used it a few times.

The door is a bit time consuming, I agree, but we've finally got a system going. It took forever the first time, but the last couple of times it went up pretty quickly.

We'll probably continue to use our room even when it's just the two of us. In addition to summer, we camp during deer season at the end of Nov./beginning of Dec. every year. We then use the room for storing all of my husband's hunting clothes and such so that they won't dirty the inside of the motorhome. We heat the room with electric heaters this time of year. Just so no one thinks that we'll get carbon monoxide poisoning, the room is far from air tight, plus our furnace vents are located on the rear of our coach. Our hot water heater (which does vent into the room) can be run on electricity or propane, and we almost always run it on electricity.

I hope I didn't forget to address anything! I'll be going camping all next week (and using our Add-a-Room again) so I'll make sure to check back on here when I get back just in case I think of anything else helpful to add. I think this will be our 5th time setting it up since we got it in Sept., so we're still new with this new model, too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Doula is offline   Reply With Quote