Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Here is a puzzle for you ...

I recently drained my fresh water tank and partially refilled it using the water hose connection while at an RV park about a half days drive from home.

While I was home, and before my next trip, I added more water using the gravity fill.

When I got to my destination I parked for the night ... when I got up in the morning to take my shower there was only cold water in the bathroom sink and shower ... the electric water heater would not come one (no amps were being drawn) and the gas hot water heater would not come on either ...

The circuit breaker at the foot of the bed was not popped ...

Someplace along the way I did a senior moment thingy (we call those brain F**TS sometimes, too)

<span class="ev_code_Red">Puzzle of the day ... what did I do?</span>

I will post the answer tomorrow
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Here is a puzzle for you ...

I recently drained my fresh water tank and partially refilled it using the water hose connection while at an RV park about a half days drive from home.

While I was home, and before my next trip, I added more water using the gravity fill.

When I got to my destination I parked for the night ... when I got up in the morning to take my shower there was only cold water in the bathroom sink and shower ... the electric water heater would not come one (no amps were being drawn) and the gas hot water heater would not come on either ...

The circuit breaker at the foot of the bed was not popped ...

Someplace along the way I did a senior moment thingy (we call those brain F**TS sometimes, too)

<span class="ev_code_Red">Puzzle of the day ... what did I do?</span>

I will post the answer tomorrow
Old 07-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Sounds like you forgot to turn the fill valve back from the 'Fill Tank'position.

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
doc
Winnebago Owner

had you even plugged in to the pedestal? and/or turn the batteries on?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Skigramp
YOU IS BAD
What a puzzle, maybe you threw in all that water stuff to throw us off.
How about the main on/off so your propane heater would not light off or propane tank valve off????????
Man I sure am going to sign in here tomorrow for the answer.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Well, here's my WAG...

When you intended to switch the valve from pressure fill back to "Normal", you accidentally switched the other nearby valve which is the water heater bypass valve. The electric and gas heaters wouldn't come on because the electric had already heated the water in the tank during the night. But, you weren't getting the hot water from the heater because it was bypassed.

The problem I have with this guess is how were you getting any water if you didn't switch the fill valve back to normal? Were you possibly dry-camping and using the pump?

Good mystery!!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Tom wins the cupie doll ...

History: at some time when I was filling the water tank in the RV park I turned the Hot Water Bypass valve instead of the [fill the tank] / [city supply] valve ...

So this morning when I tried to take a shower all I got was water from the fresh water tank ...

Fortunately, I found an RV place (Winnebago dealer in Rogers, MN) that would look at it immediately ... <span class="ev_code_RED">I felt pretty emabarrassed to pay for 1/2 hour labor to tell me that I had a brain f**t </span>... but at least I have hot water for the next week ... and that was better than being told I need a new board ... or even a new hot water heater ...
Old 07-23-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

EXCUSE ME! I believe if you look at response number two,this queston was answered.
I believe that cupie doll is spoken for

Old 07-24-2008, 04:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Whaler ...

I don't understand your comment ... I was parked in a church parking lot and plugged in to a 15 amp circuit (with permission) ...

After learning what I had done, I should have realized what the difficulty was because the motoraid heats the water as I travel ... and the water heater is well insulated ... so the next morning I should have been getting at least lukewarm water out of the faucets had the switch not been set to bypass.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

OK,first sentence.You drained the tank,then refilled it partially. No mention the gravity fill,so I assumed you used the coach hose connection.So,you had to turn the water valve to the 'fill tank'position.You did not say anything about the valve in that first sentence.
Second sentence, you added more water through the gravity fill.No valves need be moved to do that.
Third sentence.No hot water,no mention of hooking up to the city water
OK my reasoning.Two weeks ago,I fill my fresh water tank at home for a 4 day stay at Assateague National Seashore.I drive to the campground,spend the day on the beach.I go to take a shower that evening,'no hot water'.Well,no big deal,I'd figure it out the next day.Well after poking around half the morning and scatching my head,I finnaly saw that my water valve was in the 'Fill Tank' position.When I returned it back to the city fill,the birds started singing,or maybe they were seagulls,the sun came out and I had hot water again! In other words,'another senior moment'for me.
Anyway,I thought that covetted Cupie Doll,was in my grasp for sure!
PS I have a Sightseer,'04 and I only have one valve on the outside,in my water compartment.
That's my story Skigramp,I'll turn in my Matlock detective card in the morning.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Whaler ...

You deserve an ATTABOY for figuring out youself ... I wasn't that smart ...

These little incidents are the price that we pay for enjoying this great lifestyle ...

I hope to meet up with you on the road someday ... perhaps we can enjoy a cold beverage together ...
Old 07-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I hope I'm there when you two share a beer, 'cause you sure made me laugh on this story.... You guys are a riot!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:24 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Help a old man understand . Is the city fill and water heater bypass the same thing? Thanks
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:16 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
Help a old man understand . Is the city fill and water heater bypass the same thing? Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are two different items. On our coaches (35U) the city/fill valve for changing the flow to fill the water tank is in the water/sewer compartment while the water heater bypass valve for preventing antifreeze from entering the water heater during winterising is up front in the water heater compartment.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Itch ...

My rig is a '04 39W Journey. The Water Heater ByPass valve and the Water Supply valve are located side by side in the water / electrical bay. The levers on the valve are the identical shape and color ...

My senior moment came when I didn't have my thinking cap on and turned the wrong valve

I think I am going to spray paint one of them a different <span class="ev_code_RED">col</span><span class="ev_code_Blue">or</span> ... maybe that will keep me from making the same mistake again ... anybody giving odds?
Old 07-27-2008, 01:31 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I thought that is what you said. Whaler confused me. Easy to do. I have done similar things but I can't remember what they were.. Thats bad too&gt; Safe Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:46 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Wait a minute,,,,,,,let me add another senior moment.....
Hot water heater working on propane, hooked either to city supply or running off pump, fill and normal switch in correct position, bypass valve set correctly,,,,,getting hot water at sinks with full pressure.

Problem,,,when trying to take shower only a slow rate of water flow, and oh yes that little on/off push button at top of shower in fully opened...only getting a very slow flow of water from shower head and luke warm water at best, pump cycling if on....

another cupie doll awaits!

ps..a friend with a major hangover figured this on out while at the Indy 500.

that reminds me i forgot to make reservations in lot 4a for next year.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:01 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

JK ..

I'll bet the dog turned the ring around the outside of the shower head when he finished with his last shower and forgot to tell you ...

Darn Dog
Old 08-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

yep!
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:21 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Way too funny..and I loved the puzzle..The Blue half,..said it must be about the valve..but he didn't get the cupie doll...lol
sharon Grant is offline   Reply With Quote