Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Broken down in NJ

I'll keep this short because the iPad that I borrowed is running out of battery and I can't buy a charger till the morning.

1991 Itasca w/454

Left front caliper locked up on I-80 eastbound just before the GW bridge after leaving the Navy/ND game at the Meadowlands this afternoon. coachNet found someone to get me off the highway but they don't think that they will be able to get someone to even look at it until Monday.

If anyone has any ideas of who could get enough repairs done so that I could limp home to CT, I'm all ears!

I'm at a WalMart on the NJ side of the GW bridge.

I'll check back here after 10 am when Staples opens . . . WalMart doesn't have a charger in stock for the iPad yet.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Opppps . . . Right front!
Old 10-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

May be too late, but iPad can use any mini-B USB charger. It will be slower charging from one designed for a phone, but it should be able to operate.

--Dave

EDIT: I take that back, you can use an iPhone charger, but not a generic phone charger.
Dave Rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Ken-55,
Go to any motel and ask the desk clerk to show you that big box of chargers under the desk... chargers of every description left behind by guests. Most of the time they are happy to give you one that fits your device.

On the way to Mississippi with 120 health workers responding to Katrina, I stopped at several motels and they gave me the whole box when I told them what we were doing. The chargers were a very hot commodity among our group as well as the victims in Gulfport and vicinity.

As to your caliper lock-up. I had this happen on a '94 Ford Explorer and it was the flexible brake line which had delaminated inside and was not allowing the caliper to release. You can loosen the bleeder line and smack the caliper with a hammer to release it, if it does not release as soon as the pressure is taken away. You will not lose a significant anount of brake fluid if you do this quickly enough.
Avoid braking hard until you can get to the NEAREST competent repair shop if this works to get it unlocked and rolling. Replace ALL flexible lines if this is the issue.
Good luck!
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

As I found from personal experience, if you break down on Saturday, you are usually stuck until Monday AM. You may want to call the tow driver back and see who he recommends to call on Monday to get your caliper fixed. If you're at the Wal Mart in Saddle Brook, there are plenty of truck repair places around there.

We left the MH home and the boys and I took the train to the Navy/ND game today which was very convenient. After a goal line stand in the 1st quarter, it was ALL Navy in a dominating victory of 35-17.

GO NAVY!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
As I found from personal experience, if you break down on Saturday, you are usually stuck until Monday AM. You may want to call the tow driver back and see who he recommends to call on Monday to get your caliper fixed. If you're at the Wal Mart in Saddle Brook, there are plenty of truck repair places around there.

We left the MH home and the boys and I took the train to the Navy/ND game today which was very convenient. After a goal line stand in the 1st quarter, it was ALL Navy in a dominating victory of 35-17.

GO NAVY!

My youngest son is in the Navy's DEP program, set to enter boot camp the middle of December. My oldest son bought us all tickets as kind of a "boys" outing before he went away. Our seats were in the corner about ten rows up, so we had a great view of that goal line stop. We really enjoyed the game and tailgating.

I'm in North Bergen. Nice shopping center with WalMart, Staples, BJ's and lots of other places. They put me back on the quiet side closest to the garden center which looks to be closed for the season. I went in and talked to a manager . . . They said, "no problem". CoachNet had called ahead and already obtained permission, but I wanted to check with them out of courtesy.

I did ask the tow truck driver, he's going to check with his boss and try and
get back to me. He did say the there's a GM truck dealer nearby???
Old 10-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Gerber RV

Good Luck.
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Larson View Post
Gerber RV

Good Luck.
Any personal experience with them?
Old 10-24-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-55 View Post
Any personal experience with them?
No, but they are the only "Select" Workhorse service center in New Jersey so I figure they might have some brake fixing experience. That and they are not too far from your location. I plan on using them later in November.
Good Luck.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have read thsat the the iPhone, and iPod chargers will work on the iPad.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I have read thsat the the iPhone, and iPod chargers will work on the iPad.
They do! . . . the Walmart clerk didn't . . . Staples did.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Some progress!!!

Gerber is not open until tomorrow morning, but their website contained a link to their FaceBook page AND both the owner and his son (who's the Service Manager) "follow" their FB page. I sent the son a message through FaceBook and he called me!

He sounds like a real nice guy and will try and have me back on the road sometime tomorrow afternoon.

CoachNet is sending back the same towing company that rescued me last night in the next hour or so, so that I can be there when Gerber opens up in the AM.

I'll keep y'all posted!
Old 10-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Be sure to mention my name. It might help when I try to schedule my appointment next month.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Good luck, there's nothing worse than being left stranded while traveling. It's great and almost unbelievable that the shop would work you in that quick and have you back on the road that soon.
The first time I broke down, and on my maiden voyage with a new coach, (my jacks wouldn't retract) I called 3 Winnebago shops in Idaho before I found one that would even look at it in less than 2 weeks.
Most times I feel they are envious that we're traveling and they're not so why put out even the least amount of effort.
Again, good luck.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Rocky & wagonmaster2,

Scott did mention that they are about a week and a half out on scheduled work, but they would try and work me in (and out) on Monday.

The towing company sent by CoachNet got me here this evening, no problem. The area that they told me to park in is a little crowded, but now I'm in front of everyone because of how the tow truck had to drop me. . . . AND they had to take part of the drive shaft out because of the auto-park system . . . I'm not going anywhere until it's fixed.

I've got the coffee pot set and I'll be up early in hopes that they can get to it shortly after they open. I want to be ready for them.

I'll post an update when it's all over, but so far I'm impressed with CoachNet. Their people were all very nice and helpful on the phone. The company they sent, Nick's Towing, was awesome!

Keepin' my fingers crossed!

-Ken
Old 10-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Final update:

Gerber RV had me back on the road by 1 pm.

I'm sure many here have had worse breakdowns and horror stories, but I'm going to share my thoughts on this experience. Feel free to bounce out of here if you don't need my "2 cents" worth.

Gerber RV : I cannot say enough good things about this company. I was a stranger from another state, stuck and at their mercy and they treated me like a family friend. Their business is growing and it's obvious why. Scott Greber, the owner's son and service manager, answered my FaceBook message to him on a Sunday, called me back and even talked to CoachNet to confirm that they could help me before I was towed there. That enabled me to be at his doorstep on Monday instead of still at WalMart waiting for an appointment. They are in Closter, NJ. Within walking distance, there's a supermarket, Dunkin' Donuts, pizza place, nice diner, Starbucks, bank and a bunch of small shops. I even found an old fashioned 5 & 10 cent store packed with just about everything (of course, nothing is 5 or 10 cents anymore). They are in the process of moving to larger quarters in Hackensack, NJ and I don't know what's around there, but perhaps you could take a trip into the city while they worked on your motorhome? They are now my "go-to-guys" for repair. Even though they're two hours away, I'll be making an appointment in the spring to drop my RV off, have the other caliper done and a few other things gone through.

They are a select Workhorse Service Center and offering a special package relating to the brake recall if you need that done.

Special thanks to Rocky Larson for pointing me in their direction . . . yes, Rocky, I did tell them that you sent me . . . when you make your appointment for next month, just tell them that you're the one that sent me!

CoachNet: I had only used them in the past for pre-trip planning info (which was very good). They were great! Every person that I talked to was concerned, helpful and professional. They did exactly what they promised and did it very well. They got me off the highway and to a safe place, they said that they usually bring you to a repair facility, campground or somewhere safe to park (like a WalMart) until other arrangements could be made. They didn't offer a campground in that area, couldn't contact a repair shop on a Saturday evening, so WalMart it was! They had already called ahead and confirmed that it was "OK". They were planning on getting me an appointment somewhere on Monday, but when I called back Sunday and told them of my contact with Gerber RV , they arranged the tow and got me there that evening.

BTW: the tow truck driver told me that if I didn't have CoachNet, the 2 tows would have cost me approx. $1000.

WalMart: Once I got there and calmed down, I had to chuckle at the thought of some members here who vow to never "camp" at WalMart. With my caliper locked up and part of the drive shaft removed, I wasn't going anywhere. Their "hospitality" is greatly appreciated!

Nick's Towing: They rescued me from I-80 eastbound, right at the I-95 north/south split, just before the George Washington bridge. Billy, the driver, treated my motorhome like it was his own. He made sure that I was in a good safe spot and he came back the next day and got me to Gerber RV. Great job!

iRV2.com: When I had limited battery power the first night, this is where I came for advice. The help that I got here was first rate and enabled me to shave almost a full day off of solving my problem. I was lucky that my son had brought his iPad along . . . from now on, I'll bring my laptop and "you guys" with me even if it's only planned as a day trip.

Another BTW, I went with CoachNet based on what I read here!

Looking back, I had a great weekend! I enjoyed a fantastic football game, GO NAVY!, at the New Meadowlands Stadium with my sons, ate more than I should tailgating, had a little quiet time once my other son drove down and rescued all my passengers (it was actually peaceful and relaxing once I had a plan for repairs) and I've met some people and a company that I'm confident in trusting for future repairs.

There's also a certain satisfaction, knowing that a out-of-state breakdown is manageable.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Sorry to hear you broke down, but it is great that you found so much help. I have a 1995 Itasca with a 454 and the first trip I went on I had to replace a radiator hose and the anti freeze. The only thing that saved me was my wife was behind me in the truck so I was able to get parts and do the job without further assistance. Ater reading your story I may look into CoachNet. For 100.00 dollars a year it sound s well worth it.
paulrtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrtaylor View Post
Ater reading your story I may look into CoachNet. For 100.00 dollars a year it sound s well worth it.

Without a doubt!
Old 10-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Ken,

If Gerber is in Hackensack when you go back in the spring, shoot over to B&W Bakery right on Main St (north part of town) for the BEST crumb cake you will ever have - all crumbs and very little cake!

Hackensack has a much bigger 'downtown' than Closter so you should have plenty to do while your repairs are getting done.

Glad to see you got back on the road. See NJ's not so bad...

PS - 2012 Navy / ND game is in Ireland so you won't be able to drive to that one.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Great to hear stories that turned out well due to good service, G
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote