Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

breaker on 7.5 onan diesel need help

Seached all the pages but could not find anything on this so maybe someone here has some thoughts on my problem.
On my trip home from Fl. this weekend, I could not start my gen. from either location inside my coach but when I open the hood outside and checked the gen. I could start it from there. There is more to the problem: There is a small breaker located on the gen. set next to the start button. This breaker must be turned off then back on in order to get power to the coach when starting it outside. THe breaker does not seem to trip. Is the function of this breaker strictly to deliver power to the coach or could it have anything to do with my problem of not starting from inside the coach? Flipping it off and back on does not change my problem concerning starting it from inside. I can shut down the gen. from inside but cannot start it from inside only from the switch outside. Gen. runs great, put out the normal voltage and has about 120 hrs. This is on a 06 Itasca Meridian DP. Would I be correct to think this breaker on the gen set. might be bad causing my problem? Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Sounds like the genset is unplugged. Check the connecting plug on the topleft side of gen. Sometimes they get pulled apart when opening closing gen slides. Hope it is this simple.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Twomed: Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Checked it today and all was fine with the plug. It was right where you said it would be. I did talk with Onan today and they suggested I check the dash switch so, before I began checking the switch I thought I would try starting the gen from the dash and to my surprise it started! Went to the start switch at the electrical panel and nothing? Any more thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

The plug you mentioned that you already found is most likely the problem. Suggest you unplug it then replug it. It may have some moisture in it or corrosion. If this seems to make a difference then get some electrical contact cleaner from Radio Shack and clean the plug up.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Kix: Good idea. I will try that tomorrow and hope that corrects it.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

No help. Disconnected the plug and the contacts were perfect and clean. Put back together and no change in the my problem. Any other thoughts. I inclined to look at two other areas:
1. The dash switch
2. Circuit board at the gen.
Any additional thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

Sorry for the delay in replying.
You mentioned that the plug was clean and unplugging it and reconnecting it made no difference. Then you mentioned that the gen started from the dash switch. Sure does sound like a poor connection somewhere. Have you looked at the back of all the switches that can start the gen?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Kix-Yes, the switches will be my next stop in the process of elimination. Thanks for all your help and I will let you know what if find. This thing is driving me crazy.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
KIX
Winnebago Master

I just re read you 1st post. IMHO the problem is in the switching harness.
there may be more than the one plug you've already found. Follow that harness looking for another plug.