Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Body panels

Has anyone had a problem with body panels coming loose? My right front panel came loose and the Winnebago tech told me it was adhered with 3M tape! I ordered some but haven't put it on yet. i thought I would supplement the tape with some JB Marine Weld. Any thoughts?
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Some of the 3M automotive adhesive tapes are very effective if the surfaces are prepped properly. I had some collision damage done on my coach a couple of years ago and they used some epoxy type of adhesive to re-attach some panels and it is holding fast. You might want to inquire with any auto body collison repair center to see what they use.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Some are secured with double sided tape, and some with an epoxy type cement. If you use 3m body moulding tape (available at any auto ports place, WalMart, etc, and has red pull-off covering) it should hold very well on its own if you make sure both surfaces are very clean before applying the tape.

Many Winnies have had problems with generator doors and engine access doors ...they are normally epoxied. I just noticed last week my left front wheel well panel is coming loose at the rear ...it appears to be secured with double-sided tape.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

The tech. at Winnie told me that they use the 3M double sided tape so that's what I'm going to use. I am also going to re-enforce it with a bead of JB Weld on each side. Seems to me that this problem could be avoided if there was a lip moulded into the panel so that it could be secured with screws. A few days ago, I saw another Voyage going down the road with the right front, wheel well panel, torn off. Maybe Winnie should think about fixing this problem. I think we pay too much for our rigs to have to glue body panels back on.
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

A front panel brace came loose on my coach. I cleaned it really good and used JBWeld and it's been holding for I think 3 years now.

Mine was metal to fiberglass.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I really don't know where to start. Ist trip the engine cover latch (interior) came ungluded and we had to have the DW hold it down to come home. The 2nd trip out the locking latch on the front engine cover came off and had to be ordered and reglued and fastened with rivets. The 3rd trip out the grill fell out and it layed on the front chassis and if it wasn't wider than the front chassis horns I would of run over it. It was refastened by the dealer and this winter it fell out again on our way home in NC.
scarecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Ist trip the engine cover latch (interior) came ungluded and we had to have the DW hold it down to come home. The 2nd trip out the locking latch on the front engine cover came off and had to be ordered and reglued and fastened with rivets. The 3rd trip out the grill fell out
scarecoupe ... What model & year is your rig?? ...your info says "Ford Super Duty Owner" but doesn't tell us if you have a Winnebago or not???
Old 05-20-2010, 05:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
scarecoupe ... What model & year is your rig?? ...your info says "Ford Super Duty Owner" but doesn't tell us if you have a Winnebago or not???
Sorry about that, I'm a newbie and getting my feet wet.I have a 2007 Sightseer 30B,F53 chassis V10.

It seems to me that the problem is with the way everything is fastened, the fiberglass is not cleaned properly. The double edge tape on the grill was good on the metal part, but never stuck to the fiberglass. I had to use laquer thinner to remove it. I think I solved the grill problem,will know for sure after a few trips.
scarecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote