Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2004, 11:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I'm thinking about having a Banks system installed on the 5.9 ISB in our '03 Journey. We pull a car trailer and could use the extra power on the hills. Has anyone here had this done and do you feel it has noticeably helped?
Dave Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I'm thinking about having a Banks system installed on the 5.9 ISB in our '03 Journey. We pull a car trailer and could use the extra power on the hills. Has anyone here had this done and do you feel it has noticeably helped?
Dave Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 03:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Take it to your cummins dealer they should be able to uprate it from ther laptop program from cummins.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
John-KE4D

Increasing your HP isn't going to do anything except decrease your fuel mileage.Spending several thousand dollars to get a few more hp isn't cost effective. If you want improved performance, you are going to have to increase torque. Torque is what moves you down the road. Read the fine print on a HP upgrade. No torque increase is usually what you find. The Banks system increases both HP and Torque. Its on my radar screen, although I am not all that unhappy with the performance of my 275 hp ISB.
When Cummins uprated the ISB from 275 hp to 300 hp in 2000, all that happened to coaches like mine was that they got less fuel economy.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I am not sure which transmission you have, but if it is the 5-speed Allison 2500-MH you're already maxed out on torque rating - 600. In fact, the torque is derated from 660 to 600 for this particular application.
boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:46 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Be careful doing any upgrades to power on your motor. I used to hang out on a web site called the Turbo Diesel Register (TDR). It is exclusively Cummins owners of all models. A few posts had been made by guys that experienced a engine melt down with a Banks system, and Banks blew them off. Now I am sure that this was the exception rather than the rule, as there are many Banks systems out there.

There are lots of ways to increase power to the Cummins engine, but when you do you make a decisive decision that "you will be your own warranty station", and sometimes you "pay to play". So it's up to you, just be very aware of the possible ramifications. It is being reported that Dodge dealers are voiding warranty's for as little as a modified air intake system.

Just research as much as you can before you make the decision, and be prepared and willing to accept the consequences if there is a problem.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Sarge makes some very good points even though he is abandoning us on TDR

I almost bought an 02 32T that had a banks system. Owner claimed it had 375HP and had de-fueling on board if EGT's reached the max limit. He towed a full size blazer with it. I drove the RV with this system and it drove pretty good compared to another stocker I had driven previously. They actaully used his RV for a protoype for the air horn that went into the motor(high ram). This rig was very tempting to purchase but it came down to not being able to justy the cost for the amount of times we would use it. He claimed to get 10 mpg.
Do some more research and come up with your decision. See if Banks can tell you have many systems they have installed and what kind of problems they have encountered. You might have some luck on the Winnebago group on Yahoo groups.
Good luck.

2006 2500 Dodge Megacab 5.9 Cummins, 48RE, Superglide
MrFixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:38 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I haven't abandoned the TDR!! I still lurk, I just don't have the fire to start foolin with this powerplant. Too much going on with all the electronics that Winne wired into this one....

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote