Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Backing up a motorhome

Hello;

New to the RV lifestyle and a new to me Itasca motorhome. No problems when moving in a forward direction, but I sure get nervous when I have to back-up and park.

Any suggestions on how to best utilize the mirrors and back-up camera so I don't look so much like a rookie? Ideas on how to 'set up' when getting ready to back into a hard left or hard right to get into my spot?

I’m sure with time and practice things get easier and smoother; I would like insight into how to set up my starting point vs. where I went to end up.

Thank you
RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Welcome to Rv'n
I would suggest that you drive to a parking lot, preferrably almost empty or at least not a lot of traffic. Practice backing into a parking spot with the curb to your back. Practice first with a normal back up ( Using your driver side ) until you are very comfortable with using your mirrors,, yes you have to watch both mirrors while backing . After that try "blind side" backing, this would be your passenger side mirror as the major one for starting your backing. It would be wonderful if you had someone standing to the back of the MH but to the side so that you will be able to see them in your mirror. Have some hand signals discussed prior to backing so that you will understand what they are trying to tell you. Do Not totally depend on your helper..continue to back slowly, checking both mirrors as you do so. Watch your rear wheels as you back and remember to glance back to very end as it is longer than just where your wheels are. When you get backed in and happy with your parking, pull out and do it again and again until you are happy with your backing.. but when you get to a campground and get the jitters.. you may mess up but just take your time, a deep breath and back slowly.. no one is perfect
When you go to a campground, there will be someone there to help guide you into your spot and help you set up..

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:49 AM   #3
I helped | retired moderator

Once you learn to trust your mirrors, it gets easier.

If you have power mirrors, you can angle the right one down to see the right rear tires better when backing to the right.

When backing to the left, you can stick you head out the window.

If you have any doubt about clearing an obstacle, stop, get out and take a look for yourself.

The driver is always responsible, not the spotter.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

don't be afraid to ask for help, as we rather help you then see you damage a tree or hit a child, best bet, as we use a two way radio, like a FRS, no yelling, no excuse of not being heard, also a good signal of "STOP" like both hands over the head or something noticable, back slow , pratice, use of mirrors and camera, and of course get out and look on the ground & around, don't forget to look up ABOVE too for low wires, tree branches etc, and kids are another problem they somehow think that they can run faster behind you to get on the other side as you back up, sometimes you just don't see them as you looked in the right mirror then look in the left mirror and the kid makes it move, its best , the safest, to have someone there if posable, during the day,,,not to bad. Also don't panic, white knuckling it is the worst thing one can get into, as you start to get nervous, scared, stomach starts to grumble etc, just relax, we all been there
Old 07-30-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Another thing I found out in Yellowstone, fishing Bridge, last year was...

Wife was watching behind and doing a great job, I was watching mirrors and backup camera. Park service put a 2 ft. tall section on phone pole on the other side of parking space. I couldn't see anything that much below the morrors and windows.

Left my right front marker light laying on the ground.

Not much damage, just a little scratch. I call it a battle scar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I found this Link on this site for backing into camp grounds. There are other tips on the site also.

Ronnie
Old 07-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Years ago with our travel trailer, I almost removed the roof air conditioner because I was taking direction from a helpful (but inebriated) camper.

Now in our motorhome, my 16 year old son always walks behind and guides me through parking pads or stalls, getting gasoline, or using dump stations. I can see him at all times in my rearview (I stop if he checks the right side), and I can hear him at all times.

Good advice in the posts above, and finally, most people are patient when others are backing up.
astonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I feel your pain. Local shakedown cruise of our new 40' DP 3 yrs ago... our first RV of any kind... local CG had only back ins. I explained when making reservations that I was new and asked if there was someone who could back it in for me if I got into trouble. They said no problem. DW and I had 2 way radios but no experience or arranged hand signals.

Amazingly enough, we slipped the rig perfectly into the slot on first attempt! I got out and we stood there for a second staring at each other... kind of in shock. Our coach was obviously brand new because of the paper license plate, etc and about a half hour later we turned to see what was causing a strange sound... it was our neighbor walking around the front of our coach shaking a pitcher of martinis to celebrate our new coach and how we had cheated death in our first attempt to park it.

We now full time and it is all second nature. No more 2 way radios, we didn't find them worth the trouble. DW and I always get out and survey the spot and discuss how and where we want the coach positioned and why. As I back up I STOP if I can't see DWs hands. If I have to park myself for some reason, I stop and get out probably 3 times to check progress. I also try to be aware of the damage my front tires can do if turned on a soft surface while the coach isn't rolling.

Enjoy and be patient...

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

If you practice in a parking lot take a couple of cones or boxes to use as markers so you can back turning between the cones or boxes. You'll get a better feeling for where the back of the RV is going. My wife and I have used small radios with success as well as hand signals. We give directions using drivers side or passenger side not go right or left (go right or left always confused me because I didn't know if she meant her right or left depending on which way she was facing. I never hesitate to stop and get out and walk around the RV if I am not sure I am clear. When she is help me she most often is on the passenger side of the RV - From the drivers side I can usually see everything I need to. Most important is do not be in a hurry. Good luck and enjoy.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Walkie Talkies and practice (lots of practice) Get so used to driving with mirrors that is become second nature.

Story: I watched a large 5th wheel side-swipe a tree limb at the site parking. There were 4 people in the truck, and not one person got out to watch for obsticles. Even tough I was some distance away, I could hear the crunch. Ouch!!

Never assume: You don't have a second chance. Someone pulled under a bank overhang... Crunch... Crunch.. Too late The roof was gone... Some states post low bridges.. Some do not... Some low height signs are missing.

Know your length.. Know your Height, Know your width
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I suggest you practice in an othewise empty parking lot

Church on Tuesday

Mall after hours

That kind of thing.

Also you need to learn how to work with a partner and hot to give and receive common hand signals

With the assistant facing the motor home moving both hands in a "Come here" motion is "Come towards me"

Both hands to the right or left.. Means "Go that way"

Arms crossed in front of you like a Rail Road crossing sign STOP!

There is more, but those are the basics.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I was a professional truck driver for 7 years and one of the acronyms I found useful was GOAL: Get Out And Look. If you can't see where you're going or don't have a spotter... Get Out And Look. It's a lot less shameful to take longer to back into a space because you stopped and walked around the rig a few times than it is to suffer the indignation and $$$ of repairs because you hit something you didn't see.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

While your at the parking lot practicing with cones, be sure get out and watch while someone else tries. You can get a much better feel of how much tail swing & turning radius you have from outside the coach.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I try to get a pull through, but I do have to back into my driveway. Having pulled both TT, 5er's, and now driving a MH, I have had my experiences along the way. The GOAL (Get Out And Look) approach is a very good one. Know what lurks on the sides and to the rear. Is there a little 2 or 3 foot metal pipe sticking out of the ground? Maybe a 1 inch pipe with a faucet on it. Tail swing can get you into trouble.

However, it doesn't matter if I had the TT, 5'er, or now the MH, here is how I start my back-up. First, a ground guide is a 99% sure fire way to not hit anything, you just have to watch out carefully for that other 1%. Think of a snake, forming an S. I always try to back in having to turn left, but it works both ways.

I will come in close to the site that I want to back into. Driving very slowly, as my back wheels hit the spot where I want to turn into I start my "S"nake maneuver. I turn towards the opposite side of the road, and about half way, or a little more, across I start turning the the left (straightening out). If you were to draw a chalk line it would be and backward "S". So now, my front end is across the road, but my back end is pointing at the location that I want to get into. My wheel is pointing straight down the road, so now a little backward motion and a left turn on the steering wheel starts the back of the coach moving into position. On occasion I have to pull a little further forward, but my ground guide (DW) will direct me. I have this down pretty good and even the DW comments on a good job, and that says a lot.

One other thing, especially in a trailer, I'll pull straight ahead when I have completed the back-in and then back in slowly again. this gives the tires and wheels an opportunity to set themselves straight. Those with a 5er especially can attest to how askew the tandem wheels can get, causing a great and unnecessary strain on the tires and system.

As stated, get yourself into an unused evening or weekend parking lot, put a couple cones on the parking lines, and give it a lot of practice tries.

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashnyellow View Post
I found this Link on this site for backing into camp grounds. There are other tips on the site also.

Ronnie
Hi Ronnie,
You never get too good at something that you can't add a little more information to your extensive database. LOL
This is an excellent video.

Thanks for sharing this with us!
Deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:19 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Ron & Sandy Jones hosted several seminars at the Affinity Group Rally in Louisville, KY we just returned from. They were excellent. This Link to videos on hand signals is great & emphasises what we learned in one of Ron's seminars. I know Dave will now have a better understanding of the directions I'm giving him by me adopting Ron's signalling gestures.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions. Hopefully, after a few times parking in a site using some of the ideas here, my hands won't be so sweaty.
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I also took a 2hr driving course at the Fleetwood MHA rally we recently returned from. It really helped. I got to put my training to good use at a campground we were at later. It was during the week, so the campground was nearly deserted. I spent part of an afternoon backing into empty campsites. There's nothing like being able to practice at an actual campground to boost your confidence. I'm still a bit shakey backing in on the passenger (blind) side, but, at least, I have the confidence now to know I CAN do it if I'm the one that needs to be behind the wheel.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote