Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Awning rachet orientation....

I am rebuilding my Dometic 8500 awning. It did not work well - had about six bad parts and the 2002 fabric was junk. Yeech...

One of the bad parts was the locking mechanism - the Up/Dn gizmo did not work. I bought a new spring for the right side. Needless to say, I threw out the old one, so I don't have a reference. And, since I am making the fabric part myself, I had to cut an access port in the end cap of the new spring gizmo. Typically, I am not happy with my first effort; I may need to remake and replace the fabric.

And now I am nervous.... I gather when the awning is all rolled up, you want that locking arm somewhat in view ...accessible for your hook. If you get a chance to look - tell me the 'clock position' of the locking arm relative to the fabric's position. Thanks.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

From photos online... it appears the slot is at the top and the locking arm is forward. We'll see...

There was no slot in this endcap so I used a cutoff saw and Dremel to make one. Also added more rivets, like in a video I saw about another fellow who replaced the fabric himself. I am using a urethane cord and Sunbrella fabric as the 'trap' for the mesh.

It's 94-98f on the local reporting thermometers with ample humidity, so I may not fiddle with it today much.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slot1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	709.5 KB
ID:	169784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slot2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	968.4 KB
ID:	169785  

Old 07-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You are correct that the arm needs to be accessible when the awing is rolled up. My awning has a slot in the other (non-arm) end rather than the "arm" end, but the important thing for you now is that your end cap is positioned correctly. Roll the awning up completely and see where your arm ends up. Then remove and re-install if needed. I'll try to get a pic of mine when I get home to get a feel for the orientation of my arm vs material slot.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, 4X... Mine has that 'other-end' access slot also. I figured I would use that for a hanging screen. ..'be interesting to see how yours looks. There was a small notch in the tube and a mismatched set of protrusions inside the endcap that did not allow the endcap to seat 100%.... ?

Jim

Tags
awning