Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Avoiding invalidating the warranty by making a simple 'upgrade'

I want to add a cup holder to my MH but have heard stories about invalidating the warranty by making the simplest of 'enhancements' - so I'm looking for any feedback or experiences from this group. We recently purchased a new 2014 Sunstar 30T and are getting ready to leave the frozen Northeast on our first trip. The 2014 model does not have a 'bult-in' beverage cup holder on the left side of the driver (the 2015 did add this in a nice built-in manner). I recently purchased a cup holder in an RV store and the mounting instructions direct that it has to be screwed in to the side, under the window.

Does anyone know if this would invalidate the warranty? It seems a ridiculously small thing to bring about such a big penalty, but I would rather be safe than out of luck. Thanks!
jerztime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:26 AM   #2
aa1ssradio

Maybe you should get a cup holder that sticks to the window???

Just a thought
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Those stories are generally just that, stories. Federal and state laws around warranties are generally pretty good at protecting consumers. Modifications can void a warranty, but the manufacturer will usually have to prove that your mod had some direct impact on the component or system involved. Cutting a hole in your dash to install a cupholder will not void the warranty on your chassis, but you might not be able to file a claim about the dash delaminating sometime later.

BUT, that doesn't mean they won't try! I would venture to guess that many of the horror stories come from folks who didn't push back, or didn't know how to.

Randy
Old 03-14-2015, 02:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

About the only modifications that can void a warranty are those that compromise the integrity of the house or chassis, and those that are intended to push performance beyond the envelope the power train is designed for.

An example of a modification that would compromise the house integrity is to remove a structural component to all a sky light or window. An example of a modification that would push the power train outside the normal performance window would be to add a nitrous oxide system to the engine.

We did dozens of enhancements on our 2001 Adventurer and never had a problem with warranty. In fact some of the enhancements customers have done have become standard or optional features in later years. We've also done a few enhancements to our 2013 Adventurer. Once again there has never been a problem with the warranty.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My suggestion would be, since your 30T is new, to have your dealer do the install of the cup holder as a 2015 upgrade and forget about it. All of us have made several/many upgrades and never given a thought about a void in the warranty.
Relax and enjoy your coach.
CFSUNRISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you're talking about 2 or 4 screws in the side panel, then if it was me, I would do it. It's just a common sense job. What are the odds that the panel you're modifying would have to be replaced under warranty.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I can only speak of my personal experience with Winnebago. They are the best!!

Don't think it matters at all.

Kerry (Hi Dune'r(Bill))
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

hotice

I have a 2014 27n , no cup holder . went
to rv store and got cup holder and used commercial command strips to attach to wall. So far works great , just pulled out of storage , still holding . I used 3- 3" long . each strip is supposed to hold 4 lbs.
HOTICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Just be careful and look behind the panel before putting any screws The last thing you want to do is hit a wiring harness or other critical component.

Many years ago I worked for an Oldsmobile/Cadillac dealer. One day a customer brought in an almost new car with a non functioning air conditioner. A little diagnosis determined there was a leak in the evaporator coil. When I went to remove it I couldn't get it to come out of the housing. A little closer inspection revealed a 3" sheet metal screw holding it in place. It seems he recently had a mobile phone installed and the installer attempted to mount one of the pieces to the a AC housing. The screw went through the plastic and the evaporator coil allowing all the Freon to escape. Needless to say the manufacturer wasn't going to warranty a part destroyed by the phone installer.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerztime View Post
I want to add a cup holder to my MH but have heard stories about invalidating the warranty by making the simplest of 'enhancements' - so I'm looking for any feedback or experiences from this group. We recently purchased a new 2014 Sunstar 30T and are getting ready to leave the frozen Northeast on our first trip. The 2014 model does not have a 'bult-in' beverage cup holder on the left side of the driver (the 2015 did add this in a nice built-in manner). I recently purchased a cup holder in an RV store and the mounting instructions direct that it has to be screwed in to the side, under the window.

Does anyone know if this would invalidate the warranty? It seems a ridiculously small thing to bring about such a big penalty, but I would rather be safe than out of luck. Thanks!
Adding aftermarket parts and accessories will not void your factory warranty, simply put. The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act allows you to customize as you wish, as long as is is done in a proper fashion.

Aftermarket Parts Won't Void Warranty: FTC Validates Right to Install | STILLEN Garage
Old 03-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thank you everyone! I have a greater sense of comfort now. I like the idea of the Command tape - I have used that in the house to hold up jacket hooks and it works great - plus I can relocate the item if I find there's a better placement, without damaging anything. Looking forward to the maiden voyage - I'll be the one raising my cup of coffee to you all as you go by!!
jerztime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:17 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Unless you run the screws into something important...No problem.

There is a federal law that says SIMPLE upgrades such as yours can not be used as an excuse to deny.

Where we run into problems is when someone 'Chips' an engine, Some systems (Banks, Ultra Power) are good, well tested and generally known to be safe.. But dealers may still refuse.

Some systems (And there are far too many to even start to list) are not that well researched.

For example...I am told I can "Chip" the engine in my motor home (I think it is about 420 HP) so it will put out over 500 HP.

But of course that is the Marine Version of the same engine, Where you have an entire Lake or River to use as a heat sink... I can not carry that much coolant and radiator so bad things WILL happen at that power level.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

If a dealer or manufacturer wants to deny a warranty claim based on a modification you make, they must PROVE that the modification caused the problem. They can't blame an engine malfunction on your putting a screw into a wall.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade