Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Any luck having Camping World pay for their mistakes?

Quick background - CW replaced one leveling jack and the hydraulic pump in my 2013 Vista 27n. When returned, the levelers weren't working correctly. Took it back to CW and they agreed it was not correct. I specifically stated that it seemed to be backwards i.e. the right controller moved the left jacks. CW stated they had done nothing to cause this issue and thought it just need to be recalibrated - which they did. At the same time I also told them the new pump made a terrible screech when retracting. CW said that was normal as the pump was closing. After recalibration, tried it again. Still not working correctly. CW then diagnosed over the phone and said the entire control panel needed to be replaced. At that point, I decided to have a second opinion. The next repair shop stated that CW had reversed the hoses when they installed the new pump which caused the control to work in reverse and the pump was making a screeching noise because it was defective. Still have the rig in the shop waiting for a new pump (luckily covered under warranty since it was only a couple of weeks old) but I will have to pay all the labor costs for the diagnosis and the replacement of the hydraulic fluid. CW should be responsible to reimburse me since they caused the issue but after 2 returns weren't able to diagnose the problem. Has anyone had any similar issue and, if so, how did you deal with CW? Should I start at the local level or go straight to corporate? As an aside, the current repair facility has agreed to document the issue the CW caused. Appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Mike
TravelinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinMike View Post
Quick background - CW replaced one leveling jack and the hydraulic pump in my 2013 Vista 27n. When returned, the levelers weren't working correctly. Took it back to CW and they agreed it was not correct. I specifically stated that it seemed to be backwards i.e. the right controller moved the left jacks. CW stated they had done nothing to cause this issue and thought it just need to be recalibrated - which they did. At the same time I also told them the new pump made a terrible screech when retracting. CW said that was normal as the pump was closing. After recalibration, tried it again. Still not working correctly. CW then diagnosed over the phone and said the entire control panel needed to be replaced. At that point, I decided to have a second opinion. The next repair shop stated that CW had reversed the hoses when they installed the new pump which caused the control to work in reverse and the pump was making a screeching noise because it was defective. Still have the rig in the shop waiting for a new pump (luckily covered under warranty since it was only a couple of weeks old) but I will have to pay all the labor costs for the diagnosis and the replacement of the hydraulic fluid. CW should be responsible to reimburse me since they caused the issue but after 2 returns weren't able to diagnose the problem. Has anyone had any similar issue and, if so, how did you deal with CW? Should I start at the local level or go straight to corporate? As an aside, the current repair facility has agreed to document the issue the CW caused. Appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Mike
if it were me I'd go straight to the top. It's a lot easier for a well written, thought out complaint to filter down than up.

Here's the Bloomberg corporate info on Camping World.
https://www.bloomberg.com/research/s...ivcapId=946789

good luck.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The first mistake was to let Camping World touch your RV with a wrench.
It can be a good place to buy stuff when it goes on sale, but wrench and screwdriver? Not on my stuff!
Old 07-05-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I haven't had CW work on anything I've owned since 2000 or 2001. The didn't wire in a new 2000 watt inverter correctly.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

To answer your question, I have read several times where CW was taken to task and the CEO got involved and agreed to a settlement so I suggest you write him. I think his name is still Markus something...go to RV dot net as he use to hang out there. But there were times when he'd refuse to do the right thing without much info of his thought processes so you're on your own mostly.

I agree a well written letter documenting everything with costs and loss of time associated with CWs screw up will help. Especially if you have to go to small claims court. Also try to get lots of pictures of the RV in the shop and workmanship failures if you can.

I lurked on forums for a couple years before ever buying a RV and knew that CW was to be avoided at all costs for any repairs or optional equipment, sorry you missed those numerous complaints because they are an eye opener. Over the last 14 years of full timing, browsing RV forums, and now FB RV groups, I've not seen where they've improved much.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all. Unfortunately my local options for service are limited. I have used a small dealer for most problems but they wouldn't handle hydraulic issues. Luckily my current service center seems very competent. They are new and are already swamped with work. I totally agree with the CW opinions as they have never completed a repair without causing more problems. Soon as the work is completed, I will start at the top. I'll let you know if I'm succcessful. Never hurts to try!

Mike
TravelinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I don't believe they have enough money to do that ...

After 15 years of avoiding CW for service, in a moment of weakness & desperation I called a new local CW about servicing my basement heat pump. They told me their labor charge would be $600 plus whatever the "third party" who fixed it would charge. I knew it was a minor electrical issue because I installed the unit myself last year, but they insisted they had to pull the unit and send it out as otherwise their experience was they "never get their money" out of servicing them. I eventually got it done for a $75 service call ...and was cured from ever calling CW again!!
Old 07-06-2017, 08:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Recently had an unsatisfactory experience with CW. I emailed them and the manufacturer, my TT is still under full warranty. The response from the manufacturer was this "take it wherever you want, have them call us. We will pay all associated costs". I found a good mobile tech to do whatever I can't or don't want to do.
Matfam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Post your complaint on www.rv.net/forum It is owned by Good Sam/Camping World and have people watching the forum. You will get a polite so sorry send us you contact information and we will look into it.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #10
RFD
Winnebago Watcher

Camping world held my RV for 2 months said they needed to wait for a special piece to be fabricated when I got my RV I looked under the dash it was a piece of 1/4 plywood with Sheetrock screws thus was to repair a loose dashboard we sent them letter no response. If they do this to me I can imagine what they are doing to the 70 year old retired doctor. Any ideas what I can do?
RFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFD View Post
Any ideas what I can do?
Don't go back to Camping World and be glad it only took two months!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

CW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
To answer your question, I have read several times where CW was taken to task and the CEO got involved and agreed to a settlement so I suggest you write him. I think his name is still Markus something...go to RV dot net as he use to hang out there. But there were times when he'd refuse to do the right thing without much info of his thought processes so you're on your own mostly.

I agree a well written letter documenting everything with costs and loss of time associated with CWs screw up will help. Especially if you have to go to small claims court. Also try to get lots of pictures of the RV in the shop and workmanship failures if you can.

I lurked on forums for a couple years before ever buying a RV and knew that CW was to be avoided at all costs for any repairs or optional equipment, sorry you missed those numerous complaints because they are an eye opener. Over the last 14 years of full timing, browsing RV forums, and now FB RV groups, I've not seen where they've improved much.

We wrote a nice Ling letter to CW with all that happened which we didn't didn't get a reply. We purchased our RV from CW and did all of our shop from NY and NJ locations.
I don't want nothing for nothing just want not to be schistered and I say it again what are they doing to the retirees on limited income trust me I hope this get back to the ones who do this because Remember what goes around comes around.
zrx1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:33 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

But they are not a bad place to buy toilet paper (when on sale). Should be called Clunker World
rogerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Call Judge Judy!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #15

Good luck goin’ after old CW. Sure you don’t want to forget it and move on?
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:06 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

He likely has handled it since this thread is a year old.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
if it were me I'd go straight to the top. It's a lot easier for a well written, thought out complaint to filter down than up.

Here's the Bloomberg corporate info on Camping World.
https://www.bloomberg.com/research/s...ivcapId=946789

good luck.
Its a lot easier and much less stressful to avoid Camping World altogether.

It seeme that every time Marcus Lemonis gets his hands on an RV dealership and turns into Camping World the service that at one time was good turns to garbage. By the way, you do know that he started out at a car dealership in Miami....just saying.
legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:06 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinMike View Post
Thanks all. Unfortunately my local options for service are limited. I have used a small dealer for most problems but they wouldn't handle hydraulic issues. Luckily my current service center seems very competent. They are new and are already swamped with work. I totally agree with the CW opinions as they have never completed a repair without causing more problems. Soon as the work is completed, I will start at the top. I'll let you know if I'm succcessful. Never hurts to try!

Mike
Mike,

You might want to consider your local Ford dealership. I am fortunate enough to have a Ford mechanic who is an RV'er and willing to work on commercial vehicles, RVs, etc. I had an hydraulic leak coming from the pump. Took it to the RV dealership twice. After it started to leak for a third time, I had my Ford mechanic look at it and he was able to fix it (knock on wood). It's hard to find a good mechanic, but once you do, make sure you take care of him!

Good luck!
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, camping world