Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Any Experience w/ Mice Damage???

Looking at a Motorhome that I know some history of. One fact is the current owners have had mice issues over the years. It's a 2006. Never owned an RV before. Don't have the first foggiest on how to operate one.

Has anyone had any experience with or know of areas in particular that mice will migrate to? Wires most commonly chewed? Ducts most commonly picked for nesting? Items most commonly used for nesting material? Where to find replacements for damaged items? (I'm guessing a Winnebago Dealer).

Or... would it be easier and more cost effective to take it to a dealer and just pay to have it inspected?

Any and all thoughts, experience and advice is greatly welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Without a little more detail as to model, length etc. hard to be specific, but can share our experience with our 2007 Journey 34SE.

I believe these mohos are designed specifically to be rodent habitat. And being homeported in Tucson doesn't mitigate that. Search this forum for my post with pictures of our adventure cleaning nests from between the CAC and radiator titled "Rodents, slobber tubes hi-temps and kayaks".

That said, every floor penetration is suspect. Our rig has a wire run coming up behind the brake pedal from above the genset. Wide open! Now tightly caulked with steel wool. The black water/gray water compartment is another rodent access location. Can't get to actual floor penetration, but am religious about keeping the door closed and only rigging the drain line when actually draining the tanks. My fresh water/electrical center is another access point. Again, always keep this door closed and use wire wool to caulk around the shore power penetration when on shore power.

Rodents will nest on top of the fuel tank. Our rig has a short metal tube coming out on top to supply the genset. That tube is connected to the genset by fuel hose. Rodents ate the hose. Guess what, the fuel tank must be dropped to install new hose! I cobbled together a PVC pipe with a 90% elbow and suicide nozzle. Whenever the mood strikes, I crawl under Miss Winnie and power wash the top of the fuel tank.

Keep your slide out gaskets in good shape. Even so, either have your slide outs all the way out, or all the way in. Partial opening them provides excellent rodent access.

Rodents are notorious for nesting on top of the engine and between the radiator and CAC. They love to gnaw on wiring, hoses and fan belts.

If they have gained access (experience speaking) favored nesting spots are under the refrigerator, in the area where hoses supply the kitchen sink, and under the showerpan.

There are hundreds of thoughts out there on keeping rodents at bay - lights, scents, sounds - on and on. We try them all. Rope lights rigged underneath dusk to dawn, alternate balsam fir oil with peppermint oil sachets inside, and those little sonic emitters in various locations.

My gut is that the best defense is the blinking rope lights coupled taking Miss Winnie out on the road for an hour or so at least every two weeks.

Be vigilant! I'll paraphrase an old Navy saying, "Although stupid, enlisted men RODENTS are sly and cunning and bear considerable watching".
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Traps. Lots and lots of traps. Currently have eight traps set in my MH and I check them every couple of days. Get a caulk gun and crawl underneath and plug every hole you see. I use a stainless steel scrubber, sort of like heavy steel wool, to go around the power cord and plug the small access they have there. I've tried several brands of ultrasonic repellers and all of them are useless. I've even had a mouse take a dump on top of one plugged in on top of our kitchen cabinet. Good luck.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Awesome guys thanks. That's a big help. The MoHo is a 30 foot class C.
Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 02:47 PM   #5
Peaceful Explorer

I just ordered these after finding some “evidence”
https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Cab-Bot.../dp/B0119AY5FU
Old 04-15-2018, 10:41 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Oldchinahand

"Be vigilant! I'll paraphrase an old Navy saying, "Although stupid, enlisted men are sly and cunning and bear considerable watching".

Being a Mustang, you know first hand, as you were once enlisted. lol
The DWs and my Dad were both Mustangs. Thanks for your Service.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

There are products out there called "Fresh Cab", or "Cab Fresh" or something else like that. What they are are bags containing either strong mint or pine oil or some other strong smelling substance. I put these in our MH every fall and leave them there all Winter. Mice hate them. I haven't had a mouse problem lately.

If you use poison the mouse will crawl somewhere you can't get to it and die. Then you will smell it for quite a while.

Same for traps.

I also throw a few of these packs under the MH as well.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Hey rgvtexan! Thanks for recognizing self deprecating humor. Seems to be in short supply among the younger set these days.

Yup. No ring knocker here. Clumb up through the hause pipe. F'csle, mess and weirdroom.

Think that's why we love our rig. Her systems are exactly analogous to a little ship (with wheels). Requires constant maintenance, but is sweet when she makes turns for cruising speed without complaining (or blowing black).
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:19 AM   #9
Peaceful Explorer

I never thought of it that way - but yeah, very analogous to shipboard systems!