Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Another satisfied 5 Star customer

Another satisfied customer. Just returned from a short trip after the 5 Star Tune. So far I am very happy with the results, too soon to tell about mileage, but I have high hopes! Thanks for the good work, Jacob and Mike!
WineLuvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We ran for almost 3 years with the 5-Star tune on our last MH. We agree. Good work!
Old 04-07-2015, 01:40 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yes the 5 Star tune does a great job and I would recommend anyone with a Ford Gas Chassis get it. But beware of the almighty big foot for you may get a ticket.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:50 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We are new to motorhoming and have a Ford Gas. What is a 5 Start Tune? Who does it? What benefits?
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:25 PM   #5

I installed the 5 Star Tune on our 2013 Bounder 35K. The automatic shifting was greatly improved. However, I lost the ability to manually upshift or downshift the trans using the shift lever (1,2,3).
I contacted Mike he said they don't do anything in the tune that would affect that. I did a side by side comparison on the hilly road to my house and on a flat road from a dead stop.
With the Ford tune I had total manual shift capability, upshifted and downshifted uphill and downhill with the shifter. From a dead stop, with the shifter in 3, the trans would start off in 1, shift to 2 and shift to 3, where it would stay, until I stopped again where the process would start over. The same happened with the shifter in 2.
With the 5 Star tune the trans would not upshift or downshift using the shift lever on uphills or downhills. From a dead stop with the shifter in 3 the trans started off in 3, not 1. Same with the shifter in 2.
So, to me that conclusively proves that the 5 Star tune is at fault.
With the area I live in, I need the ability to manually shift the trans up or down depending on whether I'm going uphill or downhill.
I've removed the 5 Star tune and put Ford's back in. Looks like I have a $400+ paper weight from 5 Star.
I'm really disappointed, since the product and product support got rave reviews here. That hasn't been my experience.

Back to the screaming downshifts.

Has anyone else had these issues besides me? If so, has Mike resolved it?

Anyone interested in a 5 Star tune? I have one for sale, cheaper than KMart.
WeBRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

WeBRVing,

When did you bought your tuner? Do you have the latest model and firmware? And how much are you selling it?
muscob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBRVing View Post
I installed the 5 Star Tune on our 2013 Bounder 35K. The automatic shifting was greatly improved. However, I lost the ability to manually upshift or downshift the trans using the shift lever (1,2,3).
With the 5 Star tune the trans would not upshift or downshift using the shift lever on uphills or downhills. From a dead stop with the shifter in 3 the trans started off in 3, not 1. Same with the shifter in 2.

Back to the screaming downshifts.

Anyone interested in a 5 Star tune? I have one for sale, cheaper than KMart.
In my knowledge, it is normal for an A/T to freeze in the selected ratio. If you set it to 3, you lock it into 3, from dead start up to screaming revs.
If you select drive (D), then you let the tranny "automaticly" select the adequate ratio. Going uphill or downhill.

It seems to me that the 5 Star makes your tranny behave like it should.... or I am missing something

I too is a potential buyer. Send me a p.m.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscob View Post
WeBRVing,

When did you bought your tuner? Do you have the latest model and firmware? And how much are you selling it?
Mike is going to give me a refund, so I'm sending it back to him.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:43 PM   #9

5 star tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
In my knowledge, it is normal for an A/T to freeze in the selected ratio. If you set it to 3, you lock it into 3, from dead start up to screaming revs.
If you select drive (D), then you let the tranny "automaticly" select the adequate ratio. Going uphill or downhill.

It seems to me that the 5 Star makes your tranny behave like it should.... or I am missing something

I too is a potential buyer. Send me a p.m.

Having been a professional master certified auto, light and medium truck technician for over 20 years I can assure you that selecting 3 or 2 with the shifter does not "lock" the trans in that gear. 1 will lock the trans in that gear as it has nowhere else to upshift to. Try it sometime. I can also assure you that if you were to "lock" your trans in 3 and that's the only gear it used, a 22,000 lb. RV would fry the trans in a short time.
I'm sending the Tune back to Mike for a refund since I need the manual shifting ability more than the nice automatic shifting.