Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

This was one of those not really needed (like most) mods, but just kinda' neat. We found one of the Starlight "security lights" in Quartzsite during the show a few weeks ago. It caught my attention in a Mag ad a few weeks earlier. While a little pricy, I thought it was kind of a neat idea, and actually have a good place for it. Out of the box it's plain white, and that ain't gonna work on a FBP Meridian. If it was on any white side RV this wouldn't be an issue, but at least it's paintable. SO!.. off to Home Depot where I found an almost exact match to the paint on the coach where it's going to be mounted. Better yet, this paint is meant for plastic, so there was no priming. AND the paint is Hammertone textured so it now looks like it's a metal case with a baked paint job.. I painted the entire unit inside and out (obviously taping off the LED and sensor area, sockets, etc.) and fashioned a polished aluminum reflector plate behind the lamp. It's much brighter and cleaner looking than the stock unit with no real reflector. See..?

My biggest complaint is the LED that blinks Blue during the day to show that it's "armed" in auto mode, and the daylight sensor is locking it off. At night it blinks Green to show it's in auto mode. Personally I think this is needless, but what really irritates me is that this LED is so bright it's ridiculous. At night it has the power of a hi-intensity single LED flashlight. All I might want is a gentle indication that the light is operational, not a friggin' green spotlight across the campground! The quick fix for this is a piece of black shrink tubing slid over the LED and shrink the end down to roughly a 1/32" opening. This is ALL that's needed to clearly see during the day (and IMO it's still too bright at night). This might not be a big deal in the desert, but in a campground with neighbors this is a major mod to keep from getting beat up by the neighbors. So with the unit painted to match the coach and the stupid LED is now under control I think it's going to be a winner (BTW- I complained to the manufacturer about the LED, and they're "fix" is to stick a tire valve cap over it. Nice engineering..).

I installed this on the street side (1, 2, 3 ) of the coach since we go to the beach during the summer and park end to end along a road, and there are have been reports of folks stealing things at night. This will definitely deter the walkers-by scanning for goodies.

2 days left..... What to do?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

This was one of those not really needed (like most) mods, but just kinda' neat. We found one of the Starlight "security lights" in Quartzsite during the show a few weeks ago. It caught my attention in a Mag ad a few weeks earlier. While a little pricy, I thought it was kind of a neat idea, and actually have a good place for it. Out of the box it's plain white, and that ain't gonna work on a FBP Meridian. If it was on any white side RV this wouldn't be an issue, but at least it's paintable. SO!.. off to Home Depot where I found an almost exact match to the paint on the coach where it's going to be mounted. Better yet, this paint is meant for plastic, so there was no priming. AND the paint is Hammertone textured so it now looks like it's a metal case with a baked paint job.. I painted the entire unit inside and out (obviously taping off the LED and sensor area, sockets, etc.) and fashioned a polished aluminum reflector plate behind the lamp. It's much brighter and cleaner looking than the stock unit with no real reflector. See..?

My biggest complaint is the LED that blinks Blue during the day to show that it's "armed" in auto mode, and the daylight sensor is locking it off. At night it blinks Green to show it's in auto mode. Personally I think this is needless, but what really irritates me is that this LED is so bright it's ridiculous. At night it has the power of a hi-intensity single LED flashlight. All I might want is a gentle indication that the light is operational, not a friggin' green spotlight across the campground! The quick fix for this is a piece of black shrink tubing slid over the LED and shrink the end down to roughly a 1/32" opening. This is ALL that's needed to clearly see during the day (and IMO it's still too bright at night). This might not be a big deal in the desert, but in a campground with neighbors this is a major mod to keep from getting beat up by the neighbors. So with the unit painted to match the coach and the stupid LED is now under control I think it's going to be a winner (BTW- I complained to the manufacturer about the LED, and they're "fix" is to stick a tire valve cap over it. Nice engineering..).

I installed this on the street side (1, 2, 3 ) of the coach since we go to the beach during the summer and park end to end along a road, and there are have been reports of folks stealing things at night. This will definitely deter the walkers-by scanning for goodies.

2 days left..... What to do?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:35 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Nice Job Jeff

I've wondered before why the RV manufacturers didn't put motion detector security lights on campers. It looks like the Starlight security light fits the bill, and it looks good painted.

If the manufacturer is having complaints about the brightness of the LED's it would be so simple for them to increase the value of he current dropping resistor and dim the LED.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:26 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
2 days left..... What to do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice job Jeff

As far as the two days left, I hear Cadillac is using LED headlights now.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Very nice work and an excellent description.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Great job, thanks for another good idea.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Ausgezeichnet!