Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-30-2005, 10:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

We left Lazydays' Rally Park about 8:30 this morning and tried our first fillup at the nearby Flying J. We took a whole 11 gallons is spite of the fuel gauges showing about 3/4 tank full

The check engine light is still coming on, so the problem isn't crud/water in the fuel filter as first diagnosed. So apparently we must have a sensor issue of some sort.

The coach drove like a dream (I think - what do I know). The chassis shop fixed the wheel shimmey/shake - that is a big thumbs-up!

The co-pilot took the helm for about 45 minutes on I-75 and she did great!

We banged the CB antenna on one of the final residental streets leading to our house - WOW did all of those tree limbs look LOW

Navigating the 600' long tree-profuse path to the rear of the property was go slow time. Jane was outside with the radio spotting; we took our time and got the coach back there without a scratch. The navigating dynamics will change a little on the reverse course, but I'm pretty confident I can get the coach back out without scratches.

Today was a wonderful confidence-builder for both of us. Can't wait to get the coach out again

I found out that the 30A drop from my shop to the RV outlet I put in a few years ago for some friends has very low voltage under a 25 amp load - about 102 VAC or so. This isn't good for the air conditioner so I think I will put in a 50 amp 220V drop for the coach.

--John & Jane

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 10:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We left Lazydays' Rally Park about 8:30 this morning and tried our first fillup at the nearby Flying J. We took a whole 11 gallons is spite of the fuel gauges showing about 3/4 tank full

The check engine light is still coming on, so the problem isn't crud/water in the fuel filter as first diagnosed. So apparently we must have a sensor issue of some sort.

The coach drove like a dream (I think - what do I know). The chassis shop fixed the wheel shimmey/shake - that is a big thumbs-up!

The co-pilot took the helm for about 45 minutes on I-75 and she did great!

We banged the CB antenna on one of the final residental streets leading to our house - WOW did all of those tree limbs look LOW

Navigating the 600' long tree-profuse path to the rear of the property was go slow time. Jane was outside with the radio spotting; we took our time and got the coach back there without a scratch. The navigating dynamics will change a little on the reverse course, but I'm pretty confident I can get the coach back out without scratches.

Today was a wonderful confidence-builder for both of us. Can't wait to get the coach out again

I found out that the 30A drop from my shop to the RV outlet I put in a few years ago for some friends has very low voltage under a 25 amp load - about 102 VAC or so. This isn't good for the air conditioner so I think I will put in a 50 amp 220V drop for the coach.

--John & Jane

Old 05-30-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

John,

Glad all went well getting home.

Not sure if you saw my reply to one of your earlier posts about the check engine light. For what it's worth here it is again. Hope it's an easy fix.

When I got my MH the IC display wasn't readable and the check engine light stayed on. Replaced the IC thinking it would fix both problems. Display was corrected but the light turned out to be a frayed wire. Apparently when Winnebago assembled the MH the harness provided by Workhorse wasn't routed properly so it was rubbing against a metal plate. Not sure if this is the problem with yours but something to consider.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Bob - I'm thinking it must be a wiring issue like you had. The info center works okay when the check engine light isn't on. It has been reporting the "problem" so much that I haven't even had a chance to set the clock in it, etc.

I'm going to call Winney and see what they suggest. My druthers is to just make an appointment at a Freightliner shop and let them take a crack at it. This is one area where I need some training: who do you call first?

-John

Old 05-30-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

John,

If you stopped fueling when the handle fuel sensor first clicked off, you still had a ways to go to fill your tank. The diesel fuel will foam up into the fill neck causing the sensor to click off. I have found I can get another 10 to 15 gallons in by going slowly after it first clicks off.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

John, it won't hurt to call Winnie, I think their answer will be to get in touch with Freightliner.
Check out the Freightliner dealers in your area and give them a call also. It never hurts to call both, so Winnie can document it on your records.
Hope you have a good FL dealer in your area and you can establish a repoire with them..Good Luck, Jim and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 02:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hey Rex,

I opened up the opposite fill cap for venting and I topped off to the point that I had a little fuel dribble out of both fill necks. I know of what you speak - when I fill my F250 diesel I am never sure if I have topped off the tank or not. It sure seems to me to be a gauge issue on the coach.

Jim - as a matter of fact I think we have a very good Freightliner shop (also a CoachCare facility of whatever they call it) in Ocala. It's only about 90 minutes away, so I'll wager we will be there shortly. It sounds like a good plan to call Winney first.

--John

Old 05-30-2005, 02:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

John,
Glad you had a good trip home. It usually works best to start with Freightliner. Since they're right in the middle between Cummins and Winnie, they can point in the right direction, if it's not their problem.

Your comment about overhanging limbs brought back memories of hurricane Charley. Before Charley, I always had to dodge over to the wrong side of the road several places in getting home. No more dodging - another postive from charley.

Well, now can REALLY start to get to know your unit without all the distractions. Enjoy!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 03:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Congrats again John now you can start pullings things apart to install your surround sys. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 03:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Nice sequence! LMAO!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote