Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

After the coach spent three weeks in the shop with a propane leak, I finally get to go on a trip. When I went to turn the engine over, the entire instrument cluster was dead! What a way to start a trip.

It turns out that there was a blown fuse that provides power to the cluster. I replaced the fuse and it went after 104 miles. I again changed the fuse at a rest stop only to have it blow again. I completed the trip with no instruments. Luckily I have a GPS that was able to supply speed information but no gas, temp, battery charge, oil, tack, and speedo. On the way home, I discovered that the overdrive switch did not work either. I don't know what else is not working.

So far my coach has spent more time in the shop for problems than on the road.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

After the coach spent three weeks in the shop with a propane leak, I finally get to go on a trip. When I went to turn the engine over, the entire instrument cluster was dead! What a way to start a trip.

It turns out that there was a blown fuse that provides power to the cluster. I replaced the fuse and it went after 104 miles. I again changed the fuse at a rest stop only to have it blow again. I completed the trip with no instruments. Luckily I have a GPS that was able to supply speed information but no gas, temp, battery charge, oil, tack, and speedo. On the way home, I discovered that the overdrive switch did not work either. I don't know what else is not working.

So far my coach has spent more time in the shop for problems than on the road.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have the same coach as you that I bought used. We are very happy with it. Maybe previous owner worked the "bugs" out. You may just have a loose wire, but sure can be frustrating locating the problem.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:40 AM   #4

Have you had Ford look at the problem?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If you are doing the repairs and trouble shooting I sujest this.
First try and unplug every wire to the dash then replace to blown fuse then plug the wires back in one at a time and check the fuse each time until it blows again the last wire you plugged in will most likely be the trouble spot.

Also check the dash grounding point and make sure it is working properly.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

i am sorry to hear of your problem. we have the same coach and have only had one trouble with the cruise control.when the techs at winne pull wires sometimes, as i understand from other posts, they can inadvertently pull too tight or in some instances cut a wire. i would suggest you contact winne as they are responsible for the final connections and maybe they have had to address this problem before.

good luck and let us hear how you make out with your resolution. terry
Old 05-05-2006, 08:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The coach is at an independent truck repair shop. They have discovered some strange things along with a short that is blowing fuses. They had to stop for the weekend so they will take up the hunt next week.

I hope they can sort it out.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I think they are stumped with the electrical problem. They asked Ford for chassis wiring schematics so they can try to figure out were the short is. They tracked the problem down to two failed modules but that did not fix the problem.
I hope they can find the problem so I can get my coach back. It has been in the shop for eight days this time. I am looking at the California leamon laws to see if my situation applies.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Sorry to hear of your problems. How did you windup in a independant truck shop is it a Ford repair shop seeing you are under Ford warranty.
Had problems with ignition cable over steering post bend that shorted to ground smoke in cockpit and blown fuses. Needed replacement of cable and I placed a wiring sleeve around wires going over bend in steering post.
All the Fords I had, had very little problems but I had a Ford shop take care of them just hope your shop is not causeing more problems.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The independent truck repair shop I took the coach to is authorized to perform warranty work for Ford. Ford's MH Assistance gave me several places to take the coach around the SF bay area and this one is the closest. I was lucky they agreed to take the job as the local Ford truck dealer decided they do not want to work on MHs.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Well, got the coach back. It turns out they traced the problem to the turn signal and daytime running light module. Don't know what that had to do with the instrument gauges? Oh well, I am just glad it was fixed. Too bad the coach was out of warranty by two weeks.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Big Red, if you called Ford or Winniebago with this problem earlier and it was logged in on your coach. It is a good possibility that they may honor the warranty. Its worth a try, I know Winnie when the ball has been in their court has honored out of warranty items previously reported.. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote