Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2007, 01:58 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

You seem to be all alone in your agenda for change. While, if that is your cup of tea your cause could be well advised, but it is not a course that most of us choose to take to resolve any problems we have with our coaches on this forum .

Your soap box may be the way of many in todays USA, but in my USA we take care of our own problems and not expect the government or any other agency to do it for us.

This forum has never been about lobbying for change. Its about RV'rs helping RV'rs to solve their problems and the camadrie of like minded folks. A lot of folks could point you in the right directions without waiting for Congress to solve your problems.. Build friendships and see what happens.
If you look at the topics on this forum, you will see that everyone asks a question regarding their RV. Yes, you are the only one to advocate a letter/phone campaign.

I don't think you will find any RV forum that the members want to or are willing to forward your goals..We just sorta like it the way it is..Have a great day
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:18 AM   #22
Winnie-Wise

TXD,

I understand you are upset, and I probably would be too. However, don't let your anger get in the way of seeing things realisticly. There will be good dealers and bad dealers, and not all will treat you the way that you want. One thing I can guarantee is that ripping the dealer or the good folks on this site won't get you far. I have 25 years of handling disputes, and one thing is a given. The guy that stands there and screams, gets no where.

If you want to get treated as good as possible from any dealer, kill them with kindness. Then take copious notes on dates, times, statements, and names of everyone you talk to. Keep every shred of paper they give you, and take pictures of everything. That's smart. From the problems you explain, you have a serious complaint. Taking that info to Winnebago, or to court, will get you somewhere. Complaining about a dealers 3 item only policy will mean nothing in court, or to Winnebago.

But don't get mad and lose your temper, and by all means don't rip this site, or the good folks on it that can give you tons of support and information to save you a fortune in dealer repairs. This site allows you to disagree with a manufacturer, dealer or vendor. It's called an opinion, and we all have one.

And not all dealers are inept or rude. I bought my rig from a very large dealer in So. Cal, Mike Thompsons. I have been back for several issues, most little, some not so little (HWH hydrolyic system). Some items they got right the first time, others took two or three tries. Inconvienient?? You bet. Time consuming?? Oh yeah, I still work for a living too. But there are humans working on the problems, and not every one is a genius. But patience and tact is worth a million bucks. And the truth is, you are probably one of about a hundred people they are going to deal with today, each with a problem.

By treating my service writer with kindness and understanding, I have been able to get many things taken care of, or meet a deadline for a upcoming trip. And even when dealing with upper management in the dealership, being very diplomatic has paid off ($$$) very well. You would be surprised how accomadating some folks can be if you give them a little respect.

I would recommend Mike Thompsons for service or sales to anyone. They aren't perfect, but they do try and work with you.

So step back, take a deep breath and consider all of your options. Then approach it like you are handling a business deal. Because you are. Good luck with your repairs.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

It is unfortunate that good service seems to be going by the wayside for just about everything in our society. I'm not surprised to hear the stories here.

I've called dealers for service (I bought my Minnie 500 miles from home). Always the first question: did you buy it from us? Many when told no give you an appointment date way down the road. I find it funny that they don't consider future business. Well, I guess the same goes oftentimes from your own dealer.

It's sad to hear that Winnebago is as bad as others and that they don't seem to care, even the factory.

Do these people read these forums? They must obviously be ignoring the consumer.

Guess they have us over a barrell and know it. We are all smitten with the RV bug and they know we'll keep buying them so they can get away with providing lousy service. Guess that's the RVer's bane in life.

2005 Winnebago Minnie 31C
MVMAJ267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

You are not the only one, but as others have said, some dealers just don't care. I had some similar issues early on and decided to prevent stress on my part, I would take on every repair I was capable of on my own. Most of the parts have been sent to me without question except for a replacement starter that WH said wasn't bad. Funny, the new one worked?!?
Old 01-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

Welcome MVMAJ267 to irv2
Enjoy the forums and post often.
When you want some Winnie KARMA just say the word, same for you also "bowats".
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:41 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

SargeW,
I have to vent my concerns on this site due to the fact that majority of the people on this site had problems like I have. I just wonder if everyone complained higher than this site through the proper channels. I have placed several calls to Service Directors and VP through several dealers which were very helpful. These are the types of dealer (s) who are willing to assist and needs to be noted. I just can't do that until I receive service. The other dealers should not be selling or dealing with manufacturers who stand by their products. I only had my unit for 30 days and I have problems that are beyond my expertise. Which I should not have to repair due to the contract the manufacturer of warranty needs to stand by since their poor quality control. Specially when you forget to attach a seal around a major compartment that effects gas heat performance. No, I have purchase my last one.
I will not purchase another RV just because the quality control. Now, if Japaneese takes over the Industry and brings the quality back to the name, then only I would may purchase another one. Big changes will have to happen before then. But, thanks for your insight comment. Honey works better than fire but as a consumer I should not have to put up with crappy dealers.
TXDrifter165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

ichngo,
The manufactures love you. Just like many CEO's in this country who are making millions off the middle class. The very reason why I am getting the issues that I have. No one wants to face the music and assist the next guy who buys a motorhome that has no quality control. Yea, less government is sure working for you. I expect more for the money that I spent since I work hard for it. Some type of regulations can only help specially for my kids and grandkids.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:47 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

I had issues with my coach. I don't mean to imply that mine was trouble free.
But through persistance, dealing with folks in a business like manner and some effort on my part they were all taken care of like most members problems on this forum were.
One member had a complete new roof put on his coach.
No one expected the Government to take care of the problems for them. No question,by living in your coach full time, your situation is more difficult.
But if you expect Congress to solve your problem you will be old and grey before it ever goes to a vote and your kids and grandkids would pay more taxes for inspectors to inspect.
Just what we need more people to look and less doing the work. Good Luck with your problems..
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Oh, give me a break! Are we not paying more taxes with less government.... No excuse. You have to fight for what you believe in specially for consumer issues to make a difference so that safety, warranty, and basic issues would get resolved. Due to the fact that no one else will fight for you. Thats alright, people like myself will persue to make changes while members like you will sit out.....
By the way, when did congress ever take care of consumer issues? They never have as long as I can remember. Usually, consumer issues are solved and readily corrected before it ever gets to congress but its another avenue, never tried.
I deal with businesses everyday, money first and everything to the wayside until you persue then only will changes take place and improve. Sitting by the wayside and not make any noise will not solve nothing but the same old thing. Thank you anyway.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

My very talented son in law is frustrated with the work that he is in in spite of being one of the top dogs in that line.

I suggested that he look into mobile RV (and boat) repair. A chap at the Vegas RV park on the Nellis AFB could not work for people coming up and asking him to come to him next and this at $75/hour. For us with 3 dogs, 2 cats and us being aboard, we don;t want to take it to a dealer and leave it. We have a fantastic dealer in NC but they are booked solid. I figure that if we take it to them and leave it, it costs us at least $100 just to do this in travel costs.

So, you have a BUNCH (I think) people who will pay a bit extra for a talented person to show up at their house and fix their RV. Especially since their dealer is backlogged.

We are faced with this now since we've been gone from home since Oct and have been in Mexico for a month. We NEED an oil change. Luckily, Beaudry in Tucson has said they will fit us in.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

More power to him. As you said a good dealership is booked solid when a crappy one has all the time in the world.... He would be better to service RV's and get involved or approved by extended or warranty companies, something to find out to get qualified since some dealers seem not to have to do anything. Good luck to your son-in-law, I hope he goes for it.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:26 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Problems with new motorhomes are not limited to just one manufacturer. We used to own a new Holiday Rambler that was in the shop about twice as many days as we camped in it. We got extremely discouraged and ended up taking a beating on the HR to get rid of it. Since we live in Iowa, we decided to purchase a Winnebago -- mainly because it is easy take it back to Winnebago, rather than a dealer, for problems. Speaking of dealers, I believe they are a large part of the nitpicky problems that many new motorhomes have when you first buy them. The dealer gets paid by the manufacturer for warranty work. They don't get that money from the manufacturer to make those repairs before the unit is purchased. Hence, they wait for you to bring the unit back instead of making repairs before you buy it.

In one of the posts I read about repair items being limited by the dealer to 3. Even Winnebago themselves limits the number of items to be repaired. If you want to stay there long enough though, they will let you start new lists.

I know some dealers (and Winnebago) are very good about making sure you are able stay in your coach each night, unless there is major body work. We are getting ready to go fulltime in a couple months. I just hope we don't run into TXDrifter's dealer if we need work done while traveling in TX.
mkminewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:05 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I read about repair items being limited by the dealer to 3. Even Winnebago themselves limits the number of items to be repaired </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've never run into a repair items limit number at any of the 4 or 5 Winnebago dealers I have been to. During the two weeks or so of GNR each year, the Winnebago factory does have a limit of 8 I believe it is. Then you can go to the bottom of the list and come back for 8 more if you want. But as I recall, they do NO WARRANTY WORK during that GNR period either. I don't think they have the 8 item limit outside that really busy period of time.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:58 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Don't get confused by my name even though I live by it majority of the time. I drift like driftwood which I started in Texas, currently I am in California. My problems lie in California. I saw a bumper sticker here in California stated " There is a village in Texas missing an Idiot". My answer is, the idiot is here in California. Have fun.....

2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
Ford Ranger
One Drifter and
One significant other