Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #1
Itasca owner

Alternative to expensive RV shades?

As many others do, we have the dual pleated day/night shades in our Winnie. I'd like to replace at least the two large ones but hate spending at least $500 for a pair of MCD or their competitors. Has anyone replaced with something like Bali or Hunter Douglas? Seems like there should be a residential type that would work in an RV. I don't want mini blinds either but do want some sort of day/night shades.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:42 AM   #2
Itasca Owners

We like mini-blinds because you can open the windows and actually have the breeze blow through. We solved the rattle down the road by inserting a thin foam pillow between the lower bar and the side of the coach.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We purchased Levolor blinds at Lowes and replaced all of ours. They cut them to length while you wait (based on your measurements) and are pretty simple to hang. We are very happy with them. Ours are the cream colored and we used the "room darkening" type in the bedroom to block out the light. They don't have the two panels like the original ones but best of all they DO Not have those frustrating strings. https://www.lowes.com/pd/LEVOLOR-Whi...-78-in/3726761
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinrvers View Post
We purchased Levolor blinds at Lowes and replaced all of ours. They cut them to length while you wait (based on your measurements) and are pretty simple to hang. We are very happy with them. Ours are the cream colored and we used the "room darkening" type in the bedroom to block out the light. They don't have the two panels like the original ones but best of all they DO Not have those frustrating strings. https://www.lowes.com/pd/LEVOLOR-Whi...-78-in/3726761
Phil--did you use those in the cockpit area or just the living area of your rig? We have MCD's in our living area and an "Automotion" power shade on the windshield, but I'd like to remove the cockpit curtains on the driver's side and passenger side windows.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybb View Post
As many others do, we have the dual pleated day/night shades in our Winnie. I'd like to replace at least the two large ones but hate spending at least $500 for a pair of MCD or their competitors. Has anyone replaced with something like Bali or Hunter Douglas? Seems like there should be a residential type that would work in an RV. I don't want mini blinds either but do want some sort of day/night shades.
Jerry,
The problem with going to residential type shades/blinds etc. is, they’re not designed in the same manner. Residential shades don’t need stabilization like RV ones do. Yeah sure, one can adapt or make do but, after spending any amount of money and making any adaptations, in the end, will you be satisfied?

I just finished building all new valances for our ‘04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. I built them so they’d accommodate ANY maker of Double Roller day-night shades. MCD, Automotion, Steve’s Blinds, Blind Chalet are but a few that make double roller shades and believe me , there is some serious cost differences between many of them.

The MCD by far, have the easiest mounting system but, they are BY FAR the most expensive too. So, just for your hen satisfaction, I’d look at some of these before making any decisions.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:08 PM   #6
Itasca owner

Re RV shades

I have looked on line at all 4 of those mfrs and everyone is in the $250-300 ea. I can understand the costs, technology, etc but I just don't want to spend that much for two windows. My wife says just loosen the adjustment to make it easier, which I'll do, maybe I can find the sweet spot where they are easier and don't fall down, if such a spot exists. I'll still check out Levalor and others, haven't eliminated that choice yet. As others have said, we have double pane tinted windows that you can't see into in daylight, so I may decide to not look into day shades, just blackouts.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Phil--did you use those in the cockpit area or just the living area of your rig? We have MCD's in our living area and an "Automotion" power shade on the windshield, but I'd like to remove the cockpit curtains on the driver's side and passenger side windows.
just the living area and bedroom. We left the mini blinds that came on the coach on the small window over the sink.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Automation Shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Well, I hope you never have to change an Automotion shade! I have one on my 2013 coach. I was told the extended warranty I purchased on coach covered everything inside of the coach for 7 years. Not the automotion windshield shade! $1200.00 to replace this POS. The worst part is, I have been trying to get it diagnosed since 2015. Every time I took it in for repair it would work so they would not replace it. Now it had finally konked out and they won’t do a damn thing. I will definitely find an alternative. These RV type shafes are ridiculously priced. There must be an alternative and I will find it.
Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

We had miniblinds in our TTs for years but, then again, we weren't inside to hear them rattle. There are ways, however, to stabilize the bottom rail. One way is to put a screw into each end of it and secure it to the wall with an elastic cord.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think View Post
Well, I hope you never have to change an Automotion shade! I have one on my 2013 coach. I was told the extended warranty I purchased on coach covered everything inside of the coach for 7 years. Not the automotion windshield shade! $1200.00 to replace this POS. The worst part is, I have been trying to get it diagnosed since 2015. Every time I took it in for repair it would work so they would not replace it. Now it had finally konked out and they won’t do a damn thing. I will definitely find an alternative. These RV type shafes are ridiculously priced. There must be an alternative and I will find it.
I hope we never do, too. My husband is pretty handy so hopefully he can figure it out if we ever have a problem with it.

We have the exterior windshield sunshade thing for when we're parked, so I'd probably just get a long curtain rod to hang a drape across the cockpit when privacy is needed.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:25 PM   #11
Itasca owner

Went to Home Depot this weekend and looked at their shade display. They have Hunter Douglas and others, a few interesting styles that would work in the rv. There is a pleated double unit called Top down/bottom up that works like our factory pleated ones except so much easier and has magnets at the top so you can collapse them either top or bottom. I'm thinking we really don't need a filtering one, just a blackout shade. When we camp they are either all up or down, I rarely use the filtering one because we have double pane darkened windows that you can't see into. Still more research to do but there are options out there. Also I was thinking about rattling when driving, but thats not a problem either since we always travel with them full open.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:02 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I too have checked for other Day/Nite blinds and found that the type that came with the RV are much less expensive to keep working and repaired than to replace them with after market or Lowe's brands made to order.

Took a while but I think I've got a pretty good handle on them and how to keep them tight so they don't creep down while traveling, but not soooo tight that it's a chore to raise and lower them. They are made for RVs so they have that advantage over many aftermarket models. They are designed and made for my particular RV so no need to adapt them. They're clean and tend to stay that way. I replaced any frayed 1.2mm nylon cord that came with the shades with 1.8mm nylon cord for extra strength over the long haul (as the 1.2mm seemed to break over time). Eventually stumbled upon a Walmart that had nylon cord so it seems to be readily available. And it's standing up to the rigors of being the passenger side recliner's window shade too. No tendency to fray so far.

One thing I did was buy a 8 foot stick of 1/2" PVC pipe and cut it into sections that I could jamb under the shade to hold it up while parked at an RV park so I could enjoy the view. At least until I got around to fixing any broken cord. Gave time to get to a place where I actually wanted to work on them. Another thing I would do while traveling would be to push the shades all the way to the top, and use an alligator clip clipped to the cords on either side to keep it up, so I could drive and have that window available to see out of. Worked great.

I'm kinda impressed with the engineering that went into the shades in the first place and long ago decided it was better and decidedly cheaper to repair them and make them work for me then it was to toss them.

Well, anyway I talk to much, so here's a link to the Shade section of my RV repair blog where any lurkers on this thread can get some pointers on keeping the shades healthy any/or repaired: Day/Nite Shades & Pleated Curtains... | Chaos Leaves Town

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybb View Post
I just bought blinds that are pleated from Home Depot.. they are custom and half the cost.
Cindi737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:52 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi737 View Post
I just bought blinds that are pleated from Home Depot.. they are custom and half the cost.
Have you installed them yet, Cindi? I'd love to see a picture.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #15
CoveredWagon

RV winow shades instead of blinds

Have you considered Roman Shades? They are available at most retailers like Lowes or Home Depot. They will custom make them to your measurements. If you are handy with a sewing machine, they are not difficult to make! I made some for a business a few years ago. They were simple in design but the material we chose was Sunbrella Woven Acrylic marine fabric. 10 year mfg warranty on color fastness, UV protection, etc.
CoveredWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Hi Sarah, We just installed them today! I am using my cell and cannot figure out how to post a picture. I replaced my dinette shade and one bedroom shade.. I am very pleased with how they came out.
Cindi737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi737 View Post
Hi Sarah, We just installed them today! I am using my cell and cannot figure out how to post a picture. I replaced my dinette shade and one bedroom shade.. I am very pleased with how they came out.
Hi Cindy! How exciting that you have the new shades installed; I'll bet they look great. Are you posting from the phone app or a computer? Check this thread for info on how to post your pictures... http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...lp-349894.html