Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Today I discovered that our MH was almost broken into. Someone had gone into the storage facility we use and tried to break the 2 door locks with a screwdriver. They didn't get in but ruined the locks to the point that I can't even get in. Can a locksmith replace these or do I need to have a dealer do it? I'm going to have to get a locksmith to get in anyway.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Today I discovered that our MH was almost broken into. Someone had gone into the storage facility we use and tried to break the 2 door locks with a screwdriver. They didn't get in but ruined the locks to the point that I can't even get in. Can a locksmith replace these or do I need to have a dealer do it? I'm going to have to get a locksmith to get in anyway.

Jeep Wrangler
Old 03-20-2008, 12:40 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Wow, sorry to hear that Gary.It makes your blood boil just to think that some SOB is breaking into something you worked so hard to have.

I think a regular locksmith can help. Ask the dealer for a reference.
Good luck.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Gary, a good Locksmith will be able to get you in and repair your lock. Before he works on your locks make sure he has the replacement parts available. Where you have your coach it doesn't sound like you would want to leave it unlocked for any amount of time. Good Luck.

Workhorse W-24
Rock-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Gary;

I am sorry to hear of your problem. I am lucky that I have an attached garage to accommodate the MH. We can very closely watch the security issues. Our City Ordinance Committee wanted to limit side walls on garages to 8'. I adamantly opposed it and was successful in changing their minds. The roof line of the house will be the determining factor.

Please keep us informed on how this turns out for you. Good Luck;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

UPDATE:

It ended up costing me $95 to have a locksmith come to where I live and get into the MH ($50 just for travel time--I live in a rural area). Another $150 for a new lockset keyed same as the original, so that I can still open the basement compartments without another key. The total was less than my insurance deductible, so I'm out of pocket for the whole amount.

The storage facility I use says they will install additional motion-sensed lights, plus the manager now patrols every time he hears his dogs bark, armed with a shotgun (him, not the dogs). I hope whoever it was the first time, tries again when the manager is around!

Did the new lock install myself to save another $50 travel fee plus installation, and it was very easy to do.

All in all, it still really p***es me off that some scumbags can try to take away what we have worked so hard to be able to get. I am planning on leaving this area as soon as I can sell my house, and when we move to our new home, it will be parked next to the house with just a 357 magnum separating me from the MH.

Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Glad everything is solved Gary. Your absolutly right, it sucks when someone thinks they can get something for free at the cost of someone elses sweat. That's the Goverment's domain.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I know how you feel as we had our old MH in a "secured"storage lot. the coach was broken into and they used tools from my coach to get into other coaches!

I do not have that problem anymore as we secure it in our garage.