Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hi all! We are finally at our winter home, the FOuntain of Youth in S. Cal. We expect to be years younger by next summer!
On the way here, climbing some of the passes in Colorado, a warning came on "check transmission temperature". As we were almost to the top, I continued on, and soon after we reached the top of the pass and started down, the warning went out. It happened again on a long downhill using the grade brake.
Any advice on what may be going on? Thinking the tranny might be overfilled and foaming, I checked the level using the hot procedure and the level seemed to be correct.
Thanks for any advice!
Ustamiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi all! We are finally at our winter home, the FOuntain of Youth in S. Cal. We expect to be years younger by next summer!
On the way here, climbing some of the passes in Colorado, a warning came on "check transmission temperature". As we were almost to the top, I continued on, and soon after we reached the top of the pass and started down, the warning went out. It happened again on a long downhill using the grade brake.
Any advice on what may be going on? Thinking the tranny might be overfilled and foaming, I checked the level using the hot procedure and the level seemed to be correct.
Thanks for any advice!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You made need allison to check you transmission. I run a lot out west in especially in Colorado, I always found my temps a lot higher going DOWN than UP. I changed from gm dino oil to mobile l synthic and lowerd my highest temp of 270d down to a high of 204d.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

What was your engine temp when the warning came on?

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'm assuming you do not have a transmission temperature gauge. I do, and always try to maintain an engine and transmission temperature no higher than about 205 going up a long grade. If either starts rising too much I down shift to a lower gear so the engine speeds up and this usually starts things cooling down. The main thing is, don't lug the engine going up the mountains. I travel in Colorado in the spring and fall, usually going over 2 or 3 high passes each trip and watch the temperatures close but never had any problems. I've never noticed but they say the transmission can heat up more than the engine on a long grade especially if using too high a gear. Hope we have helped you some.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

i use the scan gauge 2 to monitor my ally temp. i have amsoil torque drive synthetic fluid in it now. before changing the fluid, my normal operating temp was 137-142 deg., hotter going down hills than up.
my ally is a 5sp. the current scan gauge 2 will not read ally temps in the 6sp. they say that they are working on that problem.
my scan g 2 does not read eng oil pressure either. they say that they are working on that too.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the feedback. No, I do not have a tranny temp gauge. It is a six speed. The engine temp was right at the normal reading amd turning about 4,000 RPM.