Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2005, 05:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

gertting ready to replace the filters and drain the transmission thru the transmission drain plug. does anyone know the approximate amount of trans fluid that I will need to add to replace all the drained fluid..? I know I can drain and measure but I want to purchase enough beforehand some I can do the job all at once....thanks.....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

gertting ready to replace the filters and drain the transmission thru the transmission drain plug. does anyone know the approximate amount of trans fluid that I will need to add to replace all the drained fluid..? I know I can drain and measure but I want to purchase enough beforehand some I can do the job all at once....thanks.....RKL
Old 12-17-2005, 06:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

To, RKL

I also have an 02 diesel pusher.

When I changed the tranny fluid at 5000 miles , I had transynd fluid { synthetic } put in. It's use extends the interval between changes and also eliminates a lot of friction and heat. I think it's well worth the extra cost.
Thanks------AJBJRVERS
Old 12-17-2005, 06:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Changed mine last year but can't remember exactly how many quarts it took. My receipts show I purchased 4 containers but I don't know if those were 4 or 5 quart containers. Sorry can't get any closer. Transynd synthetic is not readily available around here so just went back with Dexron since it wasn't filled with Transynd anyway, and may have had an extra quart or two of Dexron already on hand if those were just 4 quart containers.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 02:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

About 17 qts if you are changing both filters. Your 02 has the same transmission as mine. The gold filter kit # is 29540493 which has both filters and all the o-rings and gaskets you need and is about $90.00 from an Allison dealer. What I did was mark the dipstick before changing to check where the level was cold. After you install the filters, put in about 15 qts. then run the transmission forward and reverse a few times...let the fluid settle a minute or so..check the dipstick and add as needed to the mark you made previous. You don't want to overfill. I stayed with Dextron 3 but you can change to synthetic.
Here's a good site for Allison info.
http://www.allisontransmission.com/servlet/DownloadOnDe...nID=155&DownloadID=5
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

3 Huskies..thanks for the info, it is exactly what I was looking for....RKL
Old 12-21-2005, 03:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

3 Huskies....when you initially mark the dipstick cold level are you running the engine or is the engine off....after you fill and move the transmission several times do you take the dipstick reading with the engine on or off...thanks....RKL
Old 12-21-2005, 05:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

RKL,
You have to warm the tranny up first before you change the fluid. Then shut off the mh and let it sit a few minutes then take your first reading on the dipstick. After you get everything changed and your fluid added (15 qts), with the mh running cycle through the gears then shut it down let it sit a few minutes and take your second reading and add fluid as needed to your initial mark with the rig off.
You can also check the level right from the tranny control pad after you take it for a good run. The procedure should be in your Allison owners manual. Let me know if you need it. My level was right on the money.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Rkl,
A couple more things that made it easier for me. Do one filter at a time, its not as messy. Allison recommends that you use a torque wrench to torque the filter cover bolts. When you get the kit you'll see that both filters are the same.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:53 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

# Huskies....thanks...RKL